JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Morriwind is the best. Everything that i dislike in skyrim is because mirrowind did it better (back doors to houses so can have hilarious fun thieving everything being top of the list).

This month's as good as any to sign up for PS+, Sony announced the US IGC games being added in June and they are Deus Ex: HR, Saints Row 3, Machinarium, Orc Attack (PSV), and Virtue's Last Reward (PSV). Easily the best monthly lineup in the US in recent memory. Also, they're about to phase out a lot of games, so if you swoop in today you can also pick-up Sleeping Dogs, Infamous 2, LBP2, and more (all of which are going out in in next two weeks).

FTL is on steam sale.
Haven't played it yet but by all accounts it's supposed to be pretty fantastic.

This month's as good as any to sign up for PS+, Sony announced the US IGC games being added in June and they are Deus Ex: HR, Saints Row 3, Machinarium, Orc Attack (PSV), and Virtue's Last Reward (PSV). Easily the best monthly lineup in the US in recent memory. Also, they're about to phase out a lot of games, so if you swoop in today you can also pick-up Sleeping Dogs, Infamous 2, LBP2, and more (all of which are going out in in next two weeks).

Hell yes! Free VLR is the excuse I think I've been waiting for to open that copy of 999 that showed up in the middle of my practicum.

Steam sales no longer have any hold over me. I simply have too many games to play, and then even with the variety of games I have, I've been playing the same boring ones anyway.

Four more games added to the Humble Bundle. I'm glad I'm getting more games, but I'm more excited to see what the next weekly deal is.

Has there ever been a Humble Bundle that didn't get more games added later?  At this point every time I get a bundle, I feel like I'm buying a season pass DLC.  I know I'll be getting some additional stuff down the line but I don't know exactly what it is.

Yeah I definitely feel the same way.  I don't factor it into the purchase, meaning I buy it solely for the initial games, but there's always the expectation that I'll get something else down the line.

The only one in this bundle that I don't have and wan't is Hotline Miami, which seems to happen a lot with indie bundles lately, I can't remember the last time I bought one. :|

You simply buy too many games outside of the bundle ;)

The only one in this bundle that I don't have and wan't is Hotline Miami, which seems to happen a lot with indie bundles lately, I can't remember the last time I bought one. :|

I did not own any of the games in the bundle. It was like Indie Christmas. I think I've bought one other bundle? This one was perfect.

Amazon just launched a Downloadable Indie Games channel and are running a fair amount of sweet bundle sale -

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=nav_sap_dvg_Jun13?_encoding=UTF8&node=6923534011

Again, I had the same problem as many that I actually had a fair amount of bundled games but I did manage to grab this gem with only one duplicate: $10 for Galaxy on Fire 2 + Little Inferno + Stealth Bastard Deluxe + Strike Suit Zero + The Cave. Also notable is the Double Fine bundle with all of their PC games for $10 and FTL for $5. 

I'm pretty sure there is a new Murphy's Law just for me, the moment I buy an Indie game, it's guaranteed to be in an indie bundle. At least I try to buy them on sale. :P 

Jeeeeesus that's a good deal. The Cave and Strike Suite Zero are high on my list, so this is tempting. Can I assume these games won't apply in Steam, or can I load them in there even without codes?

All of the games in that bundle register in Steam. You can tell which ones do because they'll say "Steam Client required for installation" or something to that effect in the product description.

I should also say that all of those Amazon bundles come with three additional free indie games that are far less known than the ones on sale - The Curse of the Nordic Cove, Dynasty of Dusk, and Huntsman: The Orphanage. None of them register in Steam and only the first two of them are available right now (Huntsman is a free preorder). Huntsman looks very in the vein of Amnesia, so that might be of interest to some of you guys.

OK, thanks. I forgot though that I can't pay on Amazon because they insist on something called a "credit card", which is apparently a horribly outdated method of paying online.

Trine 2 is 80% off today on Steam, making it $3.99 for the Complete Story edition.  I picked it up though I probably won't get around to playing it for a bit.  How is multiplayer?  I played Trine 1 completely solo and the idea of 3 people each controlling one character all the time seems so different than one person switching between the three on the fly to solve things.

You can also enable a mode where each person can change into any character on the fly. I like rolling around as a posse of 3 wizards.

Definitely a different experience, though, as often puzzles/platforming is solvable with multiple character types and you'll often have one person left behind if you're not consciously cooperative (granted you're playing the mode where you're locked into a character).

I'm confused by the Humble Bundle. I don't quite understand how the maths works. It just seems too...good. And then they throw in 4 more including Bastion and Limbo. I guess they're all getting on a bit so inclusion in a bundle brings in some more pennies and exposure. But for someone like me who's playing catch up on so many of these it feels too good to be true. By the time I've mopped all these up the next bundle will come and Bob's your uncle. I guess I've just jumped in at a good point. Were bundles 1-7 this good?

I wonder if people rig those bundles on purpose. You know, keep paying in 10c increments, dropping the average price, until it reaches something like $3, getting games for dirt cheap.

I think enough people buy the Humbles at $1 for the Steam Keys to ensure that the average price stays low.

Originally, you could get the second week's bonuses for under the average, as long as you bought in the first week, which helped dirve that trend. This bundle was the first to insist that you paid over the average regardless of when the purchase was being made.

Do you have to pay again over the average? Like, if you paid $1 the first time can you pay the current average minus the $1 you originally paid, or what?

There are reasons the Humble Bundle works beyond the simple publicity and exposure. I mean, all of these games are not new by any stretch. And every one of them has already been heavily discounted in Steam sales in the past, so I doubt the developers are sweating the fact that they're only getting pennies from each purchase rather than dollars. With currently $3,144,248.75 in purchases taking the standard split into account (65% of sales go to developers, even 10-way split between developers resulting in 6.5% to each developer), each developer stands to make over $200,000 on their sales after Humble Bundle takes their cut. For any of the developers involved (except maybe the slightly bigger ones like Double Fine and Supergiant), that is undoubtedly a fair amount of money. It's certainly more than anyone could expect to get selling their game long after initial release.

Beyond that, I believe each of these further cements Humble Bundle Inc. as a big player in the PC/Mac/Linux DD space. With Humble Store continually becoming a sales platform for new games (recently saw it powering sales on Papers Please's website), people will begin to recognize it and value buying games from that platform much like some people want Steam codes just because they want all of their library in one place. I personally like that I can go to my Humble Library and individually download all of this stuff at any time:

humblelibrary.png