JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

PSS: Seeing that people are willing to cheat the system and used the Humble Bundle to get a mad amount of coal, does anybody stand a chance?

I wouldn't exactly say that buying games is cheating a system in which you buy games, they just happened to buy the games at a non-designated price.

Shogun 2 is streamlined things quite a bit and is the most novice friendly game in the series. The tutorial is pretty good and if I remember correctly, you can select the campaign and battle difficulty separately. The demo should give you a good taste of both components.

If you want try out a Total War game, choose Shogun 2. Highly recommended, especially for that price.

I wouldn't exactly say that buying games is cheating a system in which you buy games, they just happened to buy the games at a non-designated price.

They payed 1 cent, which is lost in the Paypal fees, I don't know if it's cheating, but it's pretty rotten for the charity people.

They payed 1 cent, which is lost in the Paypal fees, I don't know if it's cheating, but it's pretty rotten for the charity people.

More exploiting than cheating, but yeah, it's gross.

Yeah, I don't mind exploiting the game for the coal, but don't exploit the people who made or are selling it! :tdown:

Wow, the tutorial for Shogun 2 is so long it's probably it's own campaign! But I've liked what I've seen of the game so far, I'll take a chance with it!

I've played enough Samurai Warrior games to be familiar with Sengoku era generals that the name of the general of the tutorial is known to me.... in Sengoku Basara he's a pirate! :mock:

I agree that it's a hideous and awful thing to do, but I think it's unfair to tar everyone with the same brush, some people paid legitimately for their games and it went to good charities/developers.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean "tar everyone with the same brush", I was only talking about people exploiting a charity fund to enter the Steam raffle, although paying 1 cent for anything through Paypal is kinda douchy in any circumstance.

Damn, now Command & Conquer is for sale, it was always in my list of games to try out. Is this one novice friendly too? Man, my backlog is going to enter critical mass at this rate! :eek::gaming:

PSS: Seeing that people are willing to cheat the system and used the Humble Bundle to get a mad amount of coal, does anybody stand a chance?

You didn't really explain in what way people cheated, which I think could offend legitimate players. I'd call that tarring everyone with the same brush, even if it was un-intentional.

I finally gave in and bought some stuff from this sale. I hadn't bought many indie games in a while, and since they were all so cheap (and had holiday sales achievements)...

attachment.php?attachmentid=773&stc=1&d=1325285408

But for getting some more achievements all I've gotten is more coal :(

SpaceChem is rather good, though!

post-74-13375603476061_thumb.png

I'll trade you -50% of Trials2: Second Edition + -25% Stronghold for the Oddworld coupon, if you want. I also just got Sol Survivor, not yet sure if I wanna trade it.

396113_10150458797103946_588673945_8839944_73781778_n.jpg

:blink::fart:

Is Total War: Shogun 2 novice friendly? Do they get carried away with the micro-managing?

Do you want to trade Avadon for Sol Survivor?

some people let the shitty coupons soil the experience for them.

That's me. Doing the cheeseplate of games is great fun, but fuck coupons. They just remind me that my fun is actually a clever marketing idea.

And it really is just the word 'coupon'. If instead they were giving out 'puzzle pieces', where each piece discounted a game more, I would be totally on board.

SpaceChem is rather good, though!

It is rather! Not exactly relaxing though.

Are there any estimates for total amount of coal? If there aren't I'll probably just craft my coal. Gambling is foolish, and gambling without any inkling of the odds is double foolish.

That's me. Doing the cheeseplate of games is great fun, but fuck coupons. They just remind me that my fun is actually a clever marketing idea.

And it really is just the word 'coupon'. If instead they were giving out 'puzzle pieces', where each piece discounted a game more, I would be totally on board.

But maybe they have some kind of plan with this, other than knowingly giving us discounts that are less than the current ones? Maybe they want to go further with this trading thing, and want people to have stuff in their inventory. Or there actually will be sales during that period, and adding your coupons will give you a further discount.

Anyway, are we seeing iPhone-like app prices coming to the PC? At least for non-AA(A) stuff. I mean, I just bought 8 games for 18€. There are so many sales now that if I'm not Über-hyped for a game, I'll wait for the next sale. And the sales give me big enough collection of games to play that I don't have the need to buy yet another game the day it comes out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=776&stc=1&d=1325298511

The MNC thing is just a 3-day guest pass, and the 2 Steam Gift packs are The Ship, all of which I'm good with just giving away. Everything else I either have already or don't care about, so if you wanna trade, let me know.

Edited by Lord Korax

I'll trade you -50% of Trials2: Second Edition + -25% Stronghold for the Oddworld coupon, if you want. I also just got Sol Survivor, not yet sure if I wanna trade it.

Well, two things:

1. I already own Trials 2: SE.

2. Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee is already 75% off. The coupon is pretty crappy.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15740/

Most of the coupons are for equal or lesser discounts than the current sale, but most of them also don't activate until the sale is over, so it's more of a rain-check-because-I-might-not-have-the-money-for-it-right-now sort of thing.

Most of the coupons are for equal or lesser discounts than the current sale, but most of them also don't activate until the sale is over, so it's more of a rain-check-because-I-might-not-have-the-money-for-it-right-now sort of thing.

I guess so. Also, I don't want Stronghold. Lol.

I'll happily take a lump of coal for it, seeing how I can't just gift it?

Well, not only have I been introduced to a shedload of games that have been sitting in my Steam Library unplayed, I also went a bit nuts and bought the following:

• Limbo
  • The Binding Of Isaac
  • Puzzle Agent 2
  • Universe Sandbox
  • Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Bastion
  • Defense Grid DLC: You Monster!
  • Blocks That Matter
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Plus all DLC

Damn you, Steam sale. You win again.

The MNC thing is just a 3-day guest pass, and the 2 Steam Gift packs are The Ship, all of which I'm good with just giving away. Everything else I either have already or don't care about, so if you wanna trade, let me know.

I will shamefully take that 50% off Chantelise.

Man, the only achievement I can still do without playing those Free2Play games is Super Meat Boy. Which seems utterly and completely impossible.

And I've 7 coal left so if I craft it I won't enter the raffle. Hopefully there'll be a couple more achievements I can do when the last ones are revealed.

But I'm pretty happy with the gifts so far -- so far I've been able to trade for 2 games I kind of wanted to try but didn't want to buy: Hoard and Avadon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=776&stc=1&d=1325298511

Scratch SMB off the list, add Mafia, -33% Renegade Ops, -50% Bioshock 2

I will shamefully take that 50% off Chantelise.

I'll be online most of today, so hit me up.

Crap. I did one of those other achievements that weren't in the Gift Pile page yet. (Hoard). Now it appeared there, but it doesn't register :( I played the game again for a bit to be safe and did burn some additional thieves, but no luck :(

Wait, http://steamcheeves.com/ lists some more achievements that aren't on the Great Gift Pile page in steam. Do those qualify for gifts/coal as well?

Those are for the later days, the ones left are the ones that appeared today I think?

I think I'm done with Steam achievements for now, there are only a few a might give a go?

L.A. Noire is 12.49... At that price I might give it a go.

And has anybody played Rochard? All I know is that it's a 2D gravity gun game.

PS: Don't forget to check Gamersgate, GOG and The Adventure Shop for their special deals! The Adventure Shop has Grey Matter at half price and GOG has a lot of nice ol' games cheap! :tup: