JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Serious Sam 3 is 12 bucks here: http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/serious-sam-3-bfe

Also, up to 49 coal. I'm not giving it away, but if you wanna give me a game in exchange... Teehee.

I did get one such deal early on. I got Rage and Greed Corp ($17.50 worth of games) for 29 coal. Alas, no such luck since.

I traded.

He actually offered $20 of games for 25 coal (or maybe it was 27, definitely less than 29), but I felt kind of bad, so yeah. Still, he wanted it!

You lucky bastard! XD

I finally got the Toki Tori achievement, which is actually challenging and got... 50% GTA: San Andreas? :frusty:

I tried to get the Team Fortress 2 achievement and discovered two things:

1) it is still pointless to try and get random-drop achievements in TF2. After playing most of the evening the only gift boxes I even saw were dropped by me, when I died. The same achievement in CS:S took me about 10 minutes.

2) it reminded me how much I missed the game that TF2 was when it first came out - a nicely paced game that required real teamwork and strategy, instead of this chaotic random-seeming UT-style war of dumb attrition. It made me sad.

Crap. I connected my facebook account to steam, then saw a notification that i had something new in my inventory, but there's nothing new there :(

Also I hadn't played Binding of Isaac before and man that game is hard. I doubt I'll get the achievement. Edmund McMillen is perverted.

Crap. I connected my facebook account to steam, then saw a notification that i had something new in my inventory, but there's nothing new there :(

I want my crappy gift back, Steam! Damn you! I bet it wasn't even a coal. I think the servers were overloaded at the moment when I was supposed to get something. I also didn't see my coal in the inventory for a while and once it even showed up completely empty.

Are you sure? I already did that too and I got it, although everything did disappear for a while, also I got nothing but coupons today. :frusty:

I was having similar problems during the first day of the sale due to the insane server load everyone was causing. My prizes didn't show up until the next day, but they were all there eventually.

Argh, now I actually managed to do the Binding of Isaac achievement (was very lucky) but Steam didn't recognize this :( It did recognize the Psychonauts one a bit earlier, though. Also crafted a gift, got 33% off any THQ game. I guess it would be useful only if the next Metro came out while the coupon is valid. (I don't know what the relase date is, was supposed to be 2012)

Yeah BoI cheesemints are super duper buggy. It's ridiculous.

I have all of them except for two. Loki's Horns and Golden God. I've unlocked the horns, though, and have picked them up many times. That app doesn't work for me, because I think it bugged out in-game in that the "Secret" was never actually unlocked. I'm worried not having that will ruin my chances of successfully unlocking Golden God. I only have three items left to grab for my collection. ):

Awesome! From Binding Isaac I got 50% off Trials Second Edition, which I already own, and which is currently 75% off!

This whole thing with 'giving out discounts that are less than the current discounts' does seem a bit mean-spirited and not at all in keeping with the usual fostering of good-will that Valve usually tries to demonstrate.

This whole thing with 'giving out discounts that are less than the current discounts' does seem a bit mean-spirited and not at all in keeping with the usual fostering of good-will that Valve usually tries to demonstrate.

I honestly don't think it was intentional.

There IS an upside to these coupons: they can be used in combination with any deals that appear before March 2012. So you'll get 50% off whatever the sale price is. It's not too bad. It's just that... well... it didn't work out how they planned, I think.

It's still a good sale, they just have this one hiccup, and unfortunately, some people let the shitty coupons soil the experience for them.

I definitely preferred the way the Summer Sale did it, though, where you got to pick your prizes, and you didn't have to sacrifice your chances to win. The trading aspect of this event is sorta fun, I guess, but it's not worth the loss of a guaranteed prize.

Yeah, I'm about the reach 7 coal again and I don't know if I should bother to use them in for a gift pile prize or for the big contest, the chances of getting anything good in both are so small!

Didn't someone mention that the catalog deals don't affect new games? That certainly sucks. :tdown:

When does the sale actually end? The 31st or Jan 2nd? Because if it's Jan 2nd, that's when the coupons activate and if you combine them, you could get some games practically free?:erm:

EDIT: I finally have enough coal for another chance a the Great Gift Pile, should I bother? My chances or getting anything good are about as high as of me winning the first prize.

PS: Who won last time? I always find it suspicious when there is a contest and nobody knows who won.:hmph:

PSS: Seeing that people are willing to cheat the system and used the Humble Bundle to get a mad amount of coal, does anybody stand a chance?

Edited by Tanukitsune

PSS: Seeing that people are willing to cheat the system and used the Humble Bundle to get a mad amount of coal, does anybody stand a chance?

Well, it's essentially a raffle, right? How many pieces of coal are in the system? A million maybe? How much coal do the cheaters have? A few hundred? more? In any case a few hundred or ten in a million isn't that big a difference in fraction. Even if you have one coal it is entirely feasible that your coal will be one of those picked out of the hat.