JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I didn't get very far into Fable 3 at the time due to a terrible computer, but if someone wanted to co-op it on PC, I'd be interested. Though I imagine everyone who cares has already played it on console.

I was fairly into the whole steam sale present game thing, but then I opened my first present and got a "25% off any valve game" coupon.

Woo! I won an opportunity to pay you less money! I love that only slightly less than I love sarcasm!

The funny part is that 'a small effective reduction in price' is what all these promotional contests reduce to. I noticed this time only because I have negative associations with the word coupon.

Anyway, if someone is planning on buying a valve game between January second and March first next year, send me a message. I have the world's worst holiday gift for you.

I quite enjoyed Singularity. It may have stuck to the Bioshock formula a bit closely, but the fluctuating time in environments and the crazy weapons made it a fun experience.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Singularity as well. It's like the Bioshock-inspired game with some actual degree of originality as well. That story was bananas. I'd definitely pick it up at that price.

Bastion is 50% off on XBLA today. (Or ending sometime later today. I'm unclear on the details.)

I was fairly into the whole steam sale present game thing, but then I opened my first present and got a "25% off any valve game" coupon.

Woo! I won an opportunity to pay you less money! I love that only slightly less than I love sarcasm!

The funny part is that 'a small effective reduction in price' is what all these promotional contests reduce to. I noticed this time only because I have negative associations with the word coupon.

What you are saying is that Valve is a company that is making profit and not charity? Outrageous! Why is this not common knowledge?

Anyway.. the first prize seems to be all the games on Steam. I can imagine how devastating the 'All Games' library would be after that.

Edited by Nappi

The whole library on Steam sounds both amazing and terrifying, I both want to win and at the same time, I hope I don't!:erm:

Anyway.. the first prize seems to be all the games on Steam. I can imagine how devastating the 'All Games' library would be after that.

I can't be arsed really to read all the contest rules and stuff... do I have a chance to win something if I don't do anything?

I already clicked on the daily sales every day for the wishlist giveaway thing, but to actually maintain chances of winning that, would I have to play some of these games and get the special achievements or lumps of coal or whatever?

You probably have one "ticket" for each lump of coal or something. Basically the chances of winning are so slim, especially since I can't be bothered to read the rules, that I can't be bothered to read the rules.

Anyone played Tropico 4. Is it actually Tropico 3?

I'm tempted by the Tropico Trilogy, how newbie friendly is it? I'm still on training wheels with this kind of game.

Also, they have the Sherlock Holmes games on sale in a bundle, are they worth it? I heard they are pretty bad?

Also, they have the Sherlock Holmes games on sale in a bundle, are they worth it? I heard they are pretty bad?

Give me two hours and I'll let you know what I think of the first part of Awakened. Or would you prefer I play Ripper? I owe it to you, anyway.

Hmm, probably one of the earlier ones, I don't think it really matter, at that price if only one is good, I'll be happy, and I'm sure one of these games has the creepy Watson in it.

13YlEPwOfmk

That's from the Nemesis demo. I'm not sure if it made it to the final game.

So far, Watson walks perfectly fine in Ripper.

Quick impressions: it's bizarre. Don't expect Monkey Island-style gameplay. It's what I'd call a European adventure game: strange puzzles, low budget, clearly biting off more than it can chew but nevertheless determined. No particularly involving puzzles (one of the early ones involves looking for the police station), Holmes is waxing philosophy like an eighteenth century polymath (the first conversation has him talking about "the vanity of existence") and Watson seems quite a bit more modern than he was in the stories. It needs more computing power than screenshots indicate (I had to lower settings a bit). However, it's atmospheric. I'm enjoying it, but I highly recommend checking out a gameplay video before you plunge.

It is quite cheap, mind you. I'd say go for it, but I'm more lenient than most adventure game fans.

Sorry if that's not too helpful.

Edit: It switches between first and third person. Quite a bit of reading involved, if you read the paper and such. I'm really enjoying it so far, but I'm putting it aside for a day when I feel like playing something slow-paced. :)

Edited by Kroms

For me the two biggest turn off in adventure games are:

-Moon logic puzzles

-Excessive "normal" puzzles

-Bad Myst clone: Any game where you spend hours clicking through screens with nothing in them.

The strange puzzles you mention do worry me a bit, care to clarify?

Well, there's no monkey + pump = monkey wrench insanity, and no Myst-stuff yet. Actually, so far, the only puzzles have been "Find the thing in this room". In one case - finding the police station - the game starts, and you're looking directly at the station.

So no real puzzles so far. I'll play for another hour when I get back from university this afternoon (which should give you another four hours before the sale switches).

iPhone version of Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror (Remastered) is free on App Store right now. You should probably get it, even if you are not planning to play it now.

There doesn't seem to be anything interesting on today's Steam sale, Limbo was just on sale a few days ago.

Yeah, the Steam sale seems underwhelming this year. Probably because there have been so many sales already.

Ugh, Tanukitsuane, I'm so sorry. A bunch of friends came over suddenly and I couldn't get away...

Did finish Uncharted 3, though.

Glad iTunes Store apps are being posted about here as I never notice when they're free. That jetpack game is surprisingly great and I'm interested in the Broken Sword thing too.