JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Hmm, there was a mention of a date only in the Eurogamer article I read.

The next batch of discount games will be unveiled 7th September, and that same day this first batch of discounts end.

Oh hey, the actually-quite-good Commandos-like Robin Hood thing is on Steam for a few dollars/pounds/quid/ruples. I'd recommend it if you're looking for something a bit offbeat but enjoyable.

Oh hey, the actually-quite-good Commandos-like Robin Hood thing is on Steam for a few dollars/pounds/quid/ruples.

Did you play Desperados? It's the game Spellbound made before Robin Hood. It's a terrific, fantastic, super-great Commandos-like game. It's not availble on Steam, but if you can get a hold of it you really should. In a lot of ways it's even better than Commandos. I was really disappointed by Robin Hood's action focus when I played it. I really loved the slow, tactical gameplay of Desperados, and from what I remember, Robin Hood is very much more action-oriented.

I have in fact played Desperados. It is perhaps not my favorite from the sub-genre, but it's damn good. Better than Commandos 2, certainly.

In fact: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/desperados_wanted_dead_or_alive

If you don't have hands on it anymore, 'blix.

Thanks! In fact, I think I'll probably buy that again. But when you say it's better than Commandos 2, I feel like I oughta kick you square in the nuts. Name me one Commandos-like game that's better than Commandos 2. One!

Thanks! In fact, I think I'll probably buy that again. But when you say it's better than Commandos 2, I feel like I oughta kick you square in the nuts. Name me one Commandos-like game that's better than Commandos 2. One!

Desperados.

Although, Commandos 2 is more beautiful.

I know this makes me a terrible person, but I really do prefer Commandos 3, just because of overall improvements. Yeah, the mission design is a bit shit in places, and holy hell some of the voices... :erm:

But this could be because I've actually beaten C3 and C1, where as I believe I have been stuck on the third-to-last mission of C2 for some 5 or so years.

Commandos 2 walkthrough: throw pack of cigarettes in front of lone guard. Wait for it... Stab guard in the back. Recover pack of cigarettes. Goto step 1.

(Loved the game, mind)

Commandos 2 walkthrough: throw pack of cigarettes in front of lone guard. Wait for it... Stab guard in the back. Recover pack of cigarettes. Goto step 1.

(Loved the game, mind)

Oh, are we doing these now? I've got a hilarious one for every FPS game in the world. Commandos 2 is the goddamn apex of video game design. As the hydrogen fuel in the Sun's core is consumed, its outer layers expand and Earth is engulfed in a rapidly expanding cloud of burning helium, humanity's last, collective thought will be how fucking sweet that game was. Commandos 3 was a joke and an insult.

I've got a hilarious one for every FPS game in the world.

Ooh, great, go on then!

Why did no one ever tell me that Desperados was on Steam? I played the shit out of a PC Gamer demo of it back in the day. It was my introduction to the genre and I desperately wanted to try the whole thing but never had the opportunity. So excited now.

Why did no one ever tell me that Desperados was on Steam? I played the shit out of a PC Gamer demo of it back in the day. It was my introduction to the genre and I desperately wanted to try the whole thing but never had the opportunity. So excited now.

Because it isn't? :erm:

At least on Finnish Steam, you can only buy Desperados 2. You can find the original game on GOG, though, as has been said.

Because it isn't? :erm:

At least on Finnish Steam, you can only buy Desperados 2. You can find the original game on GOG, though, as has been said.

Whups. I meant Gog. For some reason the fact that I only use two digital distributors means that occasionally I will substitute one for the other when typing quickly. Read my last post as exactly the same thing, but substitute "Gog" for "Steam".

It looks like the Chronicles of Riddick is for sale on Steam, but it has TAGES? I don't know about this DRM, is it as bad as SecuROM and others? I kinda want this game. :erm:

It looks like the Chronicles of Riddick is for sale on Steam, but it has TAGES? I don't know about this DRM, is it as bad as SecuROM and others? I kinda want this game. :erm:

Unless you are, for some reason, uninstalling and reinstalling it on a constant basis (whyyyy?) TAGES isn't really an issue. I've never had problems with it, and you can always ask the company for more activiations.

Both the Riddick games are surprisingly exceptional and you should play them.

I couldn't get Chronicles of Riddick running on my machine, I needed to use the cracked executable in order to get it to start.

Hitman: Blood Money is just £2.04 currently on steam. Man I love that game.

(also the other Hitman and Kane & Lynch games, but I'm not so bothered about them)

Kane and Lynch 1 I was actually very impressed with. More than I thought I'd be, anyway. It's not perfect, and the sequel is sort of garbage, but the first game is a fun time, and is at least interesting in its squad-based tactics-light gameplay. For $5, I'd give it a shot.

I wonder why Contracts isn't on Steam. It's the only Hitman game I never played, and I'd buy it if I could.

The PSP sale in the European PSN store has updated, they have all the Koei Warriors games, kid movie franchise games and lots of Star Wars games. (I've never heard of the Battlefront series, but they have three of them for sale)

Persona 3 Portable is a little cheaper than usual too, but not as much as the rest as long as some other JRPGs.

I don't know my racing games, but they have Midnight Club, Ridge Racer and Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars.

Not as good as last week, but pretty nice non the less! :tup:

The PSP sale in the European PSN store has updated, they have all the Koei Warriors games, kid movie franchise games and lots of Star Wars games. (I've never heard of the Battlefront series, but they have three of them for sale)

Persona 3 Portable is a little cheaper than usual too, but not as much as the rest as long as some other JRPGs.

I don't know my racing games, but they have Midnight Club, Ridge Racer and Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars.

Not as good as last week, but pretty nice non the less! :tup:

I know the US PSN store hasn't had these sales, but I did notice that 3rd Birthday and Tactics Ogre are both $20 on the US store. Good for people like me who want digital versions of stuff.

I think Star Wars: Battlefront was the name of the Battlefield 1942-style games. The PSP ones had added in single player modes that I think were actually pretty well recieved.