JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

The thing that is still taunting me a little bit is Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. I have the other two on PC but have yet to play them, and having just played 4 AC games 7 months ago (the 3 main and the PSP) I can't justify getting the PC version for $20 this soon. I'll pick it up when I'm going through the series again in a year or so, should be cheaper by then. That said, I'm glad I held out on $15 DoW Retribution in favour of getting $7.50 DoW Retribution today. There have been some pretty nice things on this sale, but they've mostly been little indie things. I grabbed Cargo: The Quest For Gravity and Inside a Star-Filled Sky today, and have found a lot of love in my heart for Jamestown, and Bit.Trip Runner. I also got myself Fallout: New Vegas (with all DLC), Frozen Synapse, and Prototype, which I've been wanting to try for a while for ridiculous destructive bullshit. Feels like a pretty good sale for me. I resisted the siren call of Dragon Age 2 and Shogun 2, both of which I'm sure I would enjoy, but don't think I would get more than $15-20 worth of enjoyment out of them. Resisting and saving a bit of money on those felt pretty good.

Also, anyone discover games that they weren't sure they'd like that turned out to be pretty good thanks to the special achievements? I had both Swords and Soldiers HD and and A.R.E.S. already because they came in packs with other games that I quite wanted. They both had what seemed like fairly easy achievements for the summer camp activities, so I installed them and went for it. Turns out, both pretty good games. I now intend to play a fair bit more of them. Those achievements are a pretty good idea. I got 21 all told, which I cashed in for 7 prizes, which turned out to be all that I cared about. Not a great sale for big name games, but a really damn good one for indies and discovering other games that I already had but hadn't thought to play. I'm very happy with this one.

What I would reccomend to you is to give AC1 a try, but if it frustrates you, just watch the rest of the story cutscenes on youtube or something, AC2 is one of the biggest jumps in quality I've ever seen in a sequel, the story is fun, and by the time you finish it, you will be able to find a nice deal on brotherhood probably.

What? Right there in that post I mentioned that I've finished AC1. In fact, I've finished it twice. Once when it first came out, and then again last November when I was replaying all of the others in anticipation of playing Brotherhood (which I've also finished on the 360). I freaking love those games, and think that AC1 is still pretty good, just not as good as the later ones. Hell, I've beaten the PSP one twice. What I was planning to do though is replay the games again on PC before I play Revelations or whatever the next is called, especially since the PC versions have a tradition of including the paid-for DLC of the console ones for free. Since I got my PC copies of AC1 and 2 for less than $10 each, I'm waiting for the same for Brotherhood, then replaying the whole shebang.

I bought Assassins Creed Brotherhood and am not sure if I like it or not. I liked AC2 and even AC1 to an extent. The game play in AC2: The Brotherhood is great, I like buying shops and shooting guys with crossbows but after 13 hours I have gotten bored of that. At least there is the great story to string me along... oh wait the story is absolute garbage, I despise the future animus stuff, and the story of Ezio really took a drop in quality. I didn't seem to mind the story in 2(up until the end) and enjoyed it in 1(up until the end, again) but Brotherhood is just downright stupid. I felt like an absolute idiot when lady riding on a horse said "Viva Assassino" or when the asshole British guy is being an asshole British guy, its so childish. I guess I am just a e-hipster or something.

So I wish I spent by $20 elsewhere but at least I know I wont be getting Revelations so that's money saved, somehow.

I didn't buy a damn thing. Nothing appealing enough or cheap enough.

I bought a lot of smaller stuff that I was marginally interested and the hideously low prices roped me in. I've already had a lot of fun with Bit.Trip.Beat and Swords and Soldiers HD, also looking forward to check out Sanctum and Terraria. Besides that, Darksiders was impossible to pass up for $5.

I bought Portal 2, but even at 25 euros I still think I payed too much.

Also bought Terraria for 2.5 euros. Not sure if I like it yet, couldn't figure out how to build a house (watched a tutorial afterwards).

Also, PSN has PixelJunk Shooter 2 for $7 instead of it's normal, higher price this week. I grabbed it. Been wanting to check it out for a while.

PSN has a lot of stuff rolling out on the cheap, especially if you still have the PS+ Welcome Back membership. I grabbed Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, Chime Super Deluxe Edition, and Pixeljunk Shooter 2 all for $5 each. I believe they also have a couple more titles on that list as well, including Back to the Future for $10 and Hard Corps Uprising for $7.

Microsoft Studios has a lot of DLC on sale for 50% off that might interest Idle Thumbs fans. In particular, Halo: Reach map packs and Forza 3 Car packs are all pretty cheap. Here's the full list -

Halo: Reach

• "Halo: Reach - Defiant Map Pack" - 800 MSP - 400 MSP

• "Halo: Reach - Noble Map Pack" - 800 MSP - 400 MSP

Halo 3

• "Halo 3 Mythic Map Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Halo 3 Mythic II Map Pack" - 800 MSP - 400 MSP

The "Halo 3 Legendary Map Pack" is currently not included in the sale.

Halo Wars

• "Halo Wars Strategic Options Add-on Pack" - 800 MSP - 400 MSP

• "Halo Wars Historical Battle Map Pack Add-on" - 800 MSP - 400 MSP

Gears of War 2

• "Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection" - 800 MSP - 400 MSP

• "Flashback Multiplayer Map Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Combustible Multiplayer Map Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Snowblind Multiplayer Map Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Dark Corners Multiplayer Map Pack" - 560 MSP - 280 MSP

Forza Motorsport 3

• "Community Choice Classics Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Autoweek Car Show Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Nurburgring GP Track Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Jalopnik Car Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "The Road & Track Car Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "The Summer Velocity Car Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "World Class Car Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "VIP Car Pack" - 800 MSP - 400 MSP

• "Motorsport Legends Car Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Benchmark High Speed Ring" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Sidewinder Proving Grounds" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Hot Holidays Car Pack" - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

"The Exotic Car Pack" is currently not included in the sale.

Fable III

• "Fable III Traitor's Keep Quest Pack" - 560 MSP - 200 MSP

• "Fable III Understone Quest Pack " - 400 MSP - 200 MSP

Kinect Sports

• "Kinect Sports Calorie Challenge Pack" - 320 MSP - 160 MSP

Alan Wake

• "Alan Wake: The Writer" - 560 MSP - 280 MSP

• "Alan Wake: The Signal" - 560 MSP - 280 MSP

Crackdown 2

• "Premium Toy Box Pack" - 560 MSP - 280 MSP

• "Premium Deluge Pack" - 560 MSP - 280 MSP

What Tanu said, also:

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTYE for a ridiculous £3.75! (~ $5)

7.50 :mock:

Still the best price its ever been at. (Though I believe it's been at this price before, it has never gone lower.)

Should really pick that up if you haven't played it yet.

Damn I missed it.

However, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is now the same price all weekend. Possible my favourite action/RPG ever.

Damn I missed it.

However, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines is now the same price all weekend. Possible my favourite action/RPG ever.

:eek:

Magicka is under $5 too, so I might spring for it just to finally try some wizard action.

Also, Capsized is really cheap on Steam today. Like, $3.40. This game is super-good, guys.

Indeed, don't waste money on Magicka, get Capsized instead.

Well I did neither, I got alpha protocol and found that it doesn't work any which way on y system without a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling to maybe get it to run... so I'll put a pin on that itch for awhile.

Capsized looks alright, but just doesn't gel for me.

Ah well, back to trying to love civ 5, so maybe I'll just go play civ 4.

If you haven't bought the Humble Indie Bundle #3 yet, then get it now for at least $4.92 and you get 11 games!! (Bundle #2 + Bundle #3)

http://www.humblebundle.com/

That deal is seriously worth at least $0.99 a game.

If you haven't bought the Humble Indie Bundle #3 yet, then get it now for at least $4.92 and you get 11 games!! (Bundle #2 + Bundle #3)

http://www.humblebundle.com/

That deal is seriously worth at least $0.99 a game.

Wait a minute--I've been under a rock lately when it comes to gaming news. So you get to name your own price on this Humble Bundle thing and the money goes to charity?!

EDIT: Alright, I just read the FAQ. What an amazing thing this is. Makes me proud to be a player of video games. I will do my part to raise the average Windows payment.

All right! Atom Zombie Smasher is now included as well. Deal of a time span!