JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Shogun 2 is on sale -40% on Steam today. You know what to do!

Hide under the bed?

Hey i just bought Test Drive Unlimited for £5 on steam, and my god its bad... i loved the first one because it was so free and now they've crammed 'story' in there :/ even the driving is worse than the first one... and it runs awful and all the controls are set out for a 360 pad, poor. any one else have these problems with it or is it just me? :getmecoat

No I got done over too. The first was quite good although buggy, but this, THIS!

I'm basically a chav with stupid facial hair in a stupid world doing stupid things...F.R.I.M I mean WHAT:fart:. The driving is not as good as the original either.

I feel cheated even though it's just a fiver. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Frozen Synapse appeared on the Sale of Steams today only. It includes two copies, so does anyone want to go splitsies? preferably someone in the states, as it's cheaper than buying it in Euros.

I'd split with you. Do I have you on Steam already? I'm Canadian, so it's nice and cheap for me.

Also, Alpha Protocol is $5 today. It's a deeply flawed game, but it does some really interesting things with adaptive storytelling and I ended up coming away from it very impressed with what it wanted to be. It falls short, yeah, but I think it'd be worth a punt, particularly for that price.

I'd split with you. Do I have you on Steam already? I'm Canadian, so it's nice and cheap for me.

Also, Alpha Protocol is $5 today. It's a deeply flawed game, but it does some really interesting things with adaptive storytelling and I ended up coming away from it very impressed with what it wanted to be. It falls short, yeah, but I think it'd be worth a punt, particularly for that price.

Totally agree on the Alpha Protocol note. Even if you aren't interested in a somewhat lackluster gameplay, going at a lower difficulty might help this otherwise fairly good game easier to swallow. I love the social interactions (on a mechanical level, not necessarily the writing) and some of the underlying systems at play behind the combat.

So far I've bought the two Bit.trip games. Luckily (I guess), I've lost my wallet, and had to cancel all my cards, so I'll miss out on the majority of the sale.

Although that didn't stop me asking a friend to gift me Fallout: New Vegas yesterday...

Trine for 90% off was a steal. It's still on for another few hours.

So far I've bought the two Bit.trip games. Luckily (I guess), I've lost my wallet, and had to cancel all my cards, so I'll miss out on the majority of the sale.

Although that didn't stop me asking a friend to gift me Fallout: New Vegas yesterday...

Ha. I did that two weeks ago. Just got re-carded in time for the sale. Luckily, I already own most of what I would have bought on sale this time around. Only big purchase so far was New Vegas (with DLC), with a couple of smaller games (Frozen Synapse, Bit.Trip Runner [AWESOME]) to compliment it.

The only things I've gotten so far are the Fallout NV DLC. I'm thinking of grabbing Darksiders if it drops some more or maybe Dirt 2 or 3. Doesn't seem to be as much new stuff in this sale as there usually is.

Well, Cargo! The Quest for Gravity and Jamestown are both heavily discounted right now, so if they don't go lower beforehand I'm picking them up on the last day of the sale, but otherwise yeah. I really want both of those, but am holding off in case I buy them at the price they're at and then the next day they're on the daily deal. That would suck.

The only things I've gotten so far are the Fallout NV DLC. I'm thinking of grabbing Darksiders if it drops some more or maybe Dirt 2 or 3. Doesn't seem to be as much new stuff in this sale as there usually is.

Darksiders was already discounted to $5. If you missed that, cross your fingers hard for a last day reboot of earlier deals. I grabbed it even though I already played it on Xbox, that's how much I liked it.

On the Fallout NV tip, I'm probably just gonna bide my time for a GOTY version of it. With regards to today's sales, Deus Ex at $2.50 is pretty damn tempting. Also, Stalker: Call of Pripyat at $3.75 is pretty great.

Have an excuse to finally play Deus Ex!

Also, warning, Stalker seems to generally run like ass on Windows 7. Takes 20-30 minutes for save file to load up, and there's some odd sound issues.

Also, warning, Stalker seems to generally run like ass on Windows 7. Takes 20-30 minutes for save file to load up, and there's some odd sound issues.

If you are playing any Stalker games you should get the respective complete mod, they make the game what they should have been at release.

I. . .don't have that problem? :eek: Might be something locally.

And as Patters said: The Complete mods, while not necessary, take STALKER from "damn good" to "oh gods, where did my afternoon, evening and weekend go?!"

I. . .don't have that problem? :eek: Might be something locally.

And as Patters said: The Complete mods, while not necessary, take STALKER from "damn good" to "oh gods, where did my afternoon, evening and weekend go?!"

Huh, weird. Maybe it's 64-bit only? I did some poking around and heard it was pretty common. And I just downloaded the mods, thanks!

Jamestown is $5 today! That crazy-ass shmup that I've been wanting to try is a go!

Today the Monkey Island remakes were also at a discount so in an event quite rare I bought some stuff on steam, and while I was there I maxed out a 20 Euros card that I had. I bought the following list:

- Monkey Island 1 & 2 remakes

- Broken Sword pack (holy shit, only 6 Euros for the first three games, insanity)

- The Portal 2 digital book by Geoff Keighley

- Greed Corps

I wanted to get Bookworm Adventures 2, but it didn't fit on my card, I was 20 cents short. Yeah, I'm pathetic.

Seeing Left 4 Dead 2 on sale today for less than £4 is really pushing my buttons. Do any Thumbs regularly play this?

Seeing Left 4 Dead 2 on sale today for less than £4 is really pushing my buttons. Do any Thumbs regularly play this?

Regularly? No.

Semi-once-every-couple-of-months? Sure.

It's damn fun when they do, though.

Oooh awesome! I didn't buy it when it came out - my PC can't really run nit very well. A shame since I had so much fun playing the first L4D with other thumbs.

So hopefully I'll be able to afford an upgrade soon and then I'll want understanding and patient people/other noobs to play the campaigns with.

The thumb games were always scheduled for weekends when I'm stuck working matinees. If there's going to be a resurgence in community attention, I could be quite easily convinced to re-install the game.