JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

This is only good through the rest of today, but Battlefield Bad Company 2 is going for $40 on the EA Store... and EA just put out a $20 coupon code for PAX, putting the price at $20. The code is PAXEAST842.

Sonova... Did they have to do that while I didn't have access to a PC? Arrrgh!

...Anyway, EA put a bunch of their iPhone games on sale. Only one I have is the Simpsons arcade game and I don't think it's worth the $0.99 asking price, but maybe some of the other ones are better. I'm almost tempted to get Mass Effect Galaxy just for the extra scene it unlocks on ME2.

Also, Borderlands is 50% off on Steam. Anybody interested in teaming up to get the 4 pack?

Re: Wallace & Gromit: There's this thread.

My opinions in short: Bloody excellent. It definitely helps to be a fan of the animated shorts already, but may not be necessary. Keep in mind, I played it on PC, not XBLA, but I absolutely loved what I played. Got sidetracked by Monkey Island before I played Episode 4 (I really should play that, come to think of it) but I can vouch for the quality of the first 3 with no hesitation. Grab that game.

Re: Wallace & Gromit: There's this thread.

My opinions in short: Bloody excellent. It definitely helps to be a fan of the animated shorts already, but may not be necessary. Keep in mind, I played it on PC, not XBLA, but I absolutely loved what I played. Got sidetracked by Monkey Island before I played Episode 4 (I really should play that, come to think of it) but I can vouch for the quality of the first 3 with no hesitation. Grab that game.

Damn. I feel bad for not buying everything Telltale puts out. In fact, I've only bought Tales of Monkey Island episode 1. That's it! I feel very guilty because I think Jake is so goddamn awesome and I respect what Telltale does, but I just don't feel like playing adventure games anymore. Miffy, or someone, will you please sell me on this stuff so I can give those guys a bunch of money?

If you don't feel like playing adventure games, I don't know if I can help you much. They are very much adventure games. They play wonderfully, have creative and funny puzzles, and each one fits beautifully into the universe it's meant to. Wallace and Gromit in particular just felt so much in the spirit of the shorts that I couldn't stop grinning the entire time. Still, though they are great adventure games, they're still adventure games. Nothing I can tell you will change that. If it helps, they're pretty much the only adventure games I play any more. They definitely feel like they've evolved the genre a bit from their contemporaries, who are still stuck in the mid-90s. It's not really anything specific, but more a general feeling. I hope that you liked Monkey Island, and if so maybe this cheap Wallace and Gromit deal is a good chance to get in on it and see what you think of their other series.

I picked up Age of Booty and Rocket Riot

Me too. Multiplayer some time? I'm Strummer521 on XBL

Sure. Just sent you a friend request.

Also thanks for the small write-up Miffy, just bought the game. 400 points is such a miniscule amount I'd feel bad not going for it I think.

I got Geometry Wars 2 for 400 points yesterday... I haven't played it yet, but it seems to be a good deal.

Yeah, that's this week XBL deal. Easily one of the best games on the entire service, and probably the best twin-stick shooter ever. For 400 it's an absolute steal. If you want to compare high scores feel free to friend me, gamertag is Nicholololas.

If you don't feel like playing adventure games, I don't know if I can help you much. They are very much adventure games. They play wonderfully, have creative and funny puzzles, and each one fits beautifully into the universe it's meant to. Wallace and Gromit in particular just felt so much in the spirit of the shorts that I couldn't stop grinning the entire time. Still, though they are great adventure games, they're still adventure games. Nothing I can tell you will change that. If it helps, they're pretty much the only adventure games I play any more. They definitely feel like they've evolved the genre a bit from their contemporaries, who are still stuck in the mid-90s. It's not really anything specific, but more a general feeling. I hope that you liked Monkey Island, and if so maybe this cheap Wallace and Gromit deal is a good chance to get in on it and see what you think of their other series.

The best part of Wallace and Gromit's puzzle solving is turning everyday objects into a crazy invention. Most of the puzzles are funny conundrums where you have a missing part. Heres just some example I made up: You need a rubber belt for your machine. Instead of just finding another rubber belt, the solution will be an object with the same properties. So you might find an old sweater and use its stretchiness. This kind of improvisational item use is awesome to play with and fits with the inventive theme of the claymation series really well. I think the weakest puzzle is in Episode 1 where you have to find three things to make a growth mixture and it feels kind of arbitrary. However, the series does a good job of making sense and keeping consistent without being boring and predictable.

I saw Batman Arkam Asylum for £15GBP in Liverpool CEX (second-hand, obviously) the other week. Seemed like a damned fine deal to me. Wish I'd picked it up!

Wow Deus Ex for 2.50 on steam right now. I never played this game before, and it really is as good as people said, I'm loving it so far, and it runs great on vista, although running it in a high resolution makes doing stealth kind of weird because of what it does to the textures. Easily worth it though.

So I went and bought the Deus Ex collection.

I have the first one as a boxed copy and the second one I've only played as a demo years ago.

The whole pack was only 5 euros so why not, it's just way too cheap.

that reminds me, I still haven't played deus ex 2, it didn't run well on my computer back then (various rendering artifacts), and simply forgot about it.

I jumped on Deus Ex as well... I have a link at home with all the fixes to run it in Win7 x64, I'll post here if anyone else needs it.

I jumped on Deus Ex as well... I have a link at home with all the fixes to run it in Win7 x64, I'll post here if anyone else needs it.

Wait, it runs on windows 7 64bit for me fine, I think.

Are there any 'complete' type mods for this game? Like the ones that got made for STALKER or the recent Fallout 2 one? I'm thinking of starting the first game, but I've never gotten around to it. Some higher res textures might do that.

Are there any 'complete' type mods for this game? Like the ones that got made for STALKER or the recent Fallout 2 one? I'm thinking of starting the first game, but I've never gotten around to it. Some higher res textures might do that.

Why not just try starting the real game again? Especially for $5.