JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I'd say the best one is Rome, followed by Empire. Rome is pretty much the epitome of the Total War franchise, and I still go back to it pretty often. the only parts that feel dated about it for me are the graphics and the ability to only recruit one unit at a time from towns.

Medieval II is essentially a siege-fest that necessitated mods to get the AI working right, even afterwards it still wasn't all that good.

Empire is really deep in everything except the unit variation, which Medieval has the most of but Rome does the best. The problem I could see with Empire for someone who's never played a Total War game is how complex it is. Fortunately the tutorial is pretty good about explaining stuff I think. Most of the stuff you may read about the AI being awful has been patched out, as well as the awful stability issues (for the most part).

For which one you should get, I'd say Empire, it's a little flawed but the incredible depth added by the vastly improved diplomatic system and the sea battles outweigh any of that.

Edit: All three have a demo by the way. It gives you an idea of the battles, but not the campaigns (of which I'd say Empire is the best).

Empire demo: on Steam

Medieval II demo

Rome demo

Thanks Squid Division. I think I'm gonna go with the Rome Gold + Alexander pack after all since Empire doesn't run that well on my PC.

Good choice. I had totally forgotten to talk about the Rome expansions. I haven't played barely any of Alexander as it's kind of really hard. Barbarian Invasion however is an amazing expansion that makes for one of the most rapidly changing games I've ever seen. The ability to defeat someone and turn them into a roving barbarian horde means that it's not improbable to have an entire nation or two living within your own boundaries, as actually happened.

Yeah I went for the gold edition of Rome too. Such a good game (and expansion) for under £2 is just... well I couldn't pass it up.

Pretty awesome deal, $25 for Fallout 3 GOTY on D2D.

Also, Command & Conquer Classics (Tiberian Sun, Firestorm, Tiberian Dawn, and Red Alert) have just gone free.

Also also, "The Indie Bundle" just recently went live, which is a $20 deal for And Yet It Moves, Auditorium, Aztaka, Eufloria, Machinarium, and Osmos.

Edited by JonCole

Oh wow. I don't think I ever played Tiberian Sun, but C&C (retroactively Tiberian Dawn) and Red Alert are seriously seminal games and they still play great.

The last year or two has been amazing for that SVGA era of retro - it seems like all the best stuff from my own personal Golden Age of PC gaming has been re-released either for free or for a pittance. So good.

Steam has a sale going on where you can get the THQ complete pack for 50% off. So for 50 bucks you get:

Company of Heroes

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts

Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor

Frontlines™: Fuel of War™

Full Spectrum Warrior

Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers

Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights

Red Faction

Red Faction Guerrilla

Red Faction II

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

Saints Row 2

Titan Quest

Titan Quest - Immortal Throne

Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II

Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Dark Crusade

Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Gold Edition

Seems like a pretty good deal!

http://www.theindiebundle.com/

In the spirit of Valentine's day, a bunch of Indie developers are selling their games as a bundle for $20

• And Yet It Moves
  • Machinarium
  • Eufloria
  • Auditorium
  • Aztaka
  • Osmos

I may buy it just for AYIM and Machinarium, and give the rest away.

(I already have Eufloria and heartily recommend it to anyone)

I don't know if it's valid for the rest of the world, but here in the US, flOw is free on PSN until 9pm PST today.

They're doing it in a bit of a weird way, though. It's a separate, non-priced download from the paid one, and it won't count as buying it for your account. This means that it's only good for the PS3 you downloaded it on, and if you delete it, you can't get it back.

Can't make use of that -- I've already bought it and regretted buying it. I suppose I could download the free one and regret downloading it.

Apparently everyone loves the Indie Bundle so much that they can't bother to check if it's already posted. :fart:

Oops, I didn't look back far enough...;(

EDIT: Speaking of which, how long does it take to get the email from them with the info you need to get for the games? It's been two hours!:blink:

Edited by Tanukitsune

Can't make use of that -- I've already bought it and regretted buying it. I suppose I could download the free one and regret downloading it.

Or do what I do, rest the XMB focus on the game and just listen to the looping background music :tup:

hey guys, just so chris doesn't delete me ill mention first that im a fan and a listener and i have been for a while, but. . . .

shipto.net is selling uk mass effect 2 for 28 quid for one week only, i only mention this because i had rented the game to play it because i couldn't afford full price and i just bought a copy coz of this deal and i just wanted to help out anyone in a similar position that cant always afford a 50 quid game and doesn't want to miss out on wat is a really great game, i dont know when the week started so i have no idea how long the sale will last, so get in there quick if ur interested

and americans, theres no harm in checking but i dont know if its an international seller (oh and the sale price is basically 70%)

sorry if some1s already posted this i didn't have time to read the whole thread

WIZARD! GOLD GOLD BLOOM BLUE GOLD!

If you mean http://www.shopto.net/ they are selling the 360 version for £33 and the PC version for £25 (with free shipping in both cases).

sorry i totally did mean shopto.net, wat a rubbish post i made , haha

i did get it for 29 pound tho, for 360, maybe they upped it coz it was selling too much, its arrived an i have receipt for 29

jk x

Peggle Nights for free.

Sign up for a PopCap Passport account, get an e-mail with a link to gift Peggle Nights to anyone, gift it to yourself (You can use the same e-mail you used to sign up for the passport if you want) and voilà.

Pros: Peggle Nights for free.

Cons: PopCap spam if you use your real e-mail; Say goodbye to your free time.

Peggle Nights for free.

Sign up for a PopCap Passport account, get an e-mail with a link to gift Peggle Nights to anyone, gift it to yourself (You can use the same e-mail you used to sign up for the passport if you want) and voilà.

Pros: Peggle Nights for free.

Cons: PopCap spam if you use your real e-mail; Say goodbye to your free time.

I signed up, clicked the link in the email, and it took me to a checkout that's trying to give me Bejeweled at full price. I can't work out how to get the PN. Anyone else having this happen?

@IdleThumbs

If you don't mind buying through Microsoft, Batman: AA is on sale for $12, and it's a fantastic PC version http://j.mp/9TBeVi

@jonac13

@IdleThumbs Since it's being sold on GFWL, I'm safe to assume it has achievements, yes?

@IdleThumbs

Yes, for those who care, the PC version of Batman does have Live achievements. Also great support for both keyboard/mouse and 360 controller

Oh, you really got me, Microsoft. I went through the trouble of getting that client and all that, but the actual price is $50.

Oh, you really got me, Microsoft. I went through the trouble of getting that client and all that, but the actual price is $50.

Actually looking at the deal page, it says that it starts tomorrow. I didn't really pay much attention seeing as I'm still deliberating as to whether or not I want to buy it.