Patters

Idiotic Comments from People on Gaming sites.

So, I was reading comments on a certain internet news site to read one of those unintentionally hilarious, despite completely ridiculous, comments from a reader. I am sure you guys have see similar comments all the time, so I thought sharing them could be fun.

Microsoft has a history of stealing.

1999 - Stole HALO from APPLE

2001 - Stole concepts from Dreamcast

2002 - Stole RARE from Nintendo

Mid 2000s - Stole GTA from PS2

and there is much more...

but this appears to be a very similar rip off to the bowling alley in Playstation Home. It is quite interesting how Microsoft stole the "Mii" concept and "Home" concept and is trying to mash them together to make it their own.

It's a shame that the most vocal gamers online are fucking idiots.

This rant actually isn't as good as it could be. He didn't use any derogatory nicknames for Microsoft or its products.

But, honestly, what can top CrapBox?

Hmpf. Microsoft doesn't steal, they either buy out, borrow, or betray.

Anyway, back on topic. The average human being is an asshat (in HR departments often misspelled as "asset"). I generally try to ignore comments on sites, but I often fail and have the urge to respond. The only site where I do read comments is SlashDot, all asshats are modded down quite well.

I'm happy there's a good bunch of people on IdleThumbs.

Heh, you should ask for intelligent comments. The vast majority is loud, ignorant and proud of it. I think my favorite was someone calling Tim Schafer a "fag" for not including Limp Bizkit in Brutal Legend.

Though I'm not one to talk: Once, when I was maybe 15, I made the Quote of the Moment here on Idle Thumbs for saying that World of Warcraft should have been a single-player game (cited as "one of the many idiots who plague the internet"). I don't necessarily agree with myself anymore, though there's a part of me that still believes in, and will defend, that statement.

I am an idiot, and this is reflected in my comments. As Kroms, I mean.

Edited by Kroms

I think my favorite was someone calling Tim Schafer a "fag" for not including Limp Bizkit in Brutal Legend

Hahah, that guy clearly didn't understand the opening of Brutal Legend.

2002 - Stole RARE from Nintendo

A steal at $375 million?

His liberal and unusual usage of steal points to a promising career in the tattered remains of the music industry.

How much money do you think RARE has made for Microsoft since the purchase?

okay i'm Mehdi, and yes i'm persian, and no, motion control doesn't work on every game..................... btw, if you dont believe i'm mehdi, add me on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/..............

my status will confirm i'm mehdi

What the heck?

Most vocal people in general are idiots.

In fairness I'd say it's the other way round. Most idiots are vocal.

Actually I'm not sure. Could be either. :tmeh:

How much money do you think RARE has made for Microsoft since the purchase?

That's a tricky question. On boxed console titles, nowhere near what was paid for them. Most of the figures for those games, AFAIK, came from bundling with 360s rather than individual sales. Rare never had the runaway hits on 360 that were expected on the basis of their track record.

However, when you get into the new Xbox front end, avatars, better design for the XBLA marketplace, and Natal, then it becomes difficult if not impossible to quantify and potentially very profitable indeed. Making boxed console titles didn't work after the purchase, but they've become a very different kind of studio in the past few years.

It's a shame everyone turned their noses up at Banjo, what a fucking fantastic game that is.

However, when you get into the new Xbox front end, avatars, better design for the XBLA marketplace, and Natal, then it becomes difficult if not impossible to quantify and potentially very profitable indeed.

Difficult maybe, but honestly, what developer that would have costed MS less to purchase couldn't have done all that?

They are neat additions to the Xbox, but nothing over the top mindblowing in the innovation or execution department.

Furthermore, I would have much rather had a pinata instead of an avatar; I love me some squizzels or fudge hog to great me every day* I turn on the box.

*Note I do not turn on my xbox every day in fear of it dying before ME2.

They really are; I don't know another game studio like them. A lot of publisher owned studios are near commoditised, or at least, were during the absolute nadir of developer-publisher relationships. Rare and Lionhead both seem to be solidly embedded in Microsoft tech, and possibly far more useful to keep than to sell of whenever MS need to cut costs.

Rare have a bunch of renovated buildings in the countryside, with exposed beams inside, and landscaped grounds that are managed by a couple of full time gardeners. Everyone goes for a walks at lunch. They also always have lunch at the same time, even the receptionist, which I think is quite a nice way to make sure people are getting a break and looking after themselves rather than skipping meals because they're under pressure.

I really hope they've not lost any talent due to now working on all the XBL stuff. I wonder if working on the front end for that would be good for CVs, or have a similar effect to working on casual games then trying to get back into triple-A console games?

Even the independent gaming sites aren't free from this:

Example 1:

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/01/review_vvvvvv_terry_cavanagh.html

This review is clearly full of inaccuracies that the author subconsciously knows as lies.

[...]

Deep down, you know that you don't like this game. Find the courage to stop mincing words and admit it.

from a commenter who wrote several essays in the comments section of a review trying to comprehend why people have different opinions.

Example 2:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4213/pondering_indie_spirit_derek_yu_.php#comment37470

Miyamoto never had to work for press like this.

from an indie developer bemoaning his obscurity by having a public meltdown in the comments thread of an unrelated interview.

Oh man, Flytrap guy :tup:

Actually, is that game still out on Live? Last time I looked it wasn't anywhere to be found. After all, I don't want to miss out on the greatest game of all time.

They really are; I don't know another game studio like them. A lot of publisher owned studios are near commoditised, or at least, were during the absolute nadir of developer-publisher relationships. Rare and Lionhead both seem to be solidly embedded in Microsoft tech, and possibly far more useful to keep than to sell of whenever MS need to cut costs.

Rare have a bunch of renovated buildings in the countryside, with exposed beams inside, and landscaped grounds that are managed by a couple of full time gardeners. Everyone goes for a walks at lunch. They also always have lunch at the same time, even the receptionist, which I think is quite a nice way to make sure people are getting a break and looking after themselves rather than skipping meals because they're under pressure.

I really hope they've not lost any talent due to now working on all the XBL stuff. I wonder if working on the front end for that would be good for CVs, or have a similar effect to working on casual games then trying to get back into triple-A console games?

I saw a few things about Rare similar to this, which made me want to work for them at some point in the future, their graduate program is something I am greatly interested in also.

I love you Patrick, and I love playing on Xbox live with you to hear your crunchy, tasty British accent, but I've already started a thread for this, called "[blank] say the darndest things."

Oh man, Flytrap guy :tup:

Actually, is that game still out on Live? Last time I looked it wasn't anywhere to be found. After all, I don't want to miss out on the greatest game of all time.

That was the one of the funniest bits. He pulled his own game after a few days because people weren't playing it enough, apparently.

That... That is idiotic. Just because crazy AAA publishers freak out about day one sales doesn't mean that would be a smart thing to do for an indie.

I wish Idle Thumbs was still alive so we could hear them talk about him, the Ben Dudka/Citizen Killzone/A Letter to Edge stuff and The Fanboy's Lament are some of my favourite podcast material.

:frusty:

The Flytrap guy's comments were amazing.

Michaël Samyn trolled the comments thread of his own interview here, starting with the very first one:

http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/interviews/interview-with-frank-lantz/

That guy's a troll. Period. Every time I see something he writes, steam

figuratively

shoots out of my ears. It's a shame, really. I think he has some good ideas and I like how he approaches the medium, but his constant trolling instantly and completely turns me off all of his projects.

Rather than making work that stands on its own above the stuff he doesn't like, his approach is to make stuff on the same level footing... and then belittle everything else. That's no way to go up, in my books. Ok, I'm done :getmecoat

I stole a pizza yesterday. I went to the store, gave them my money, and completely stole it. No one else can have it now. I have a long history of stealing things that I paid for. :hmph: