miffy495

Irrational is back!

Whoo!

..Ok, so I know it's just a name change and probably doesn't mean much. In my mind though, this puts us one step closer to Freedom Force 3. After all, you can't have Freedom Force without Irrational Games.

It's not just a name change, the study gets it's identity back.

Too bad Bioshock is still under the 2K label. Why do these big publishers remove all individuality from their studios when they scoop them up in the first place?

Too bad Bioshock is still under the 2K label. Why do these big publishers remove all individuality from their studios when they scoop them up in the first place?

This wave seems to be receding, though. Studios are getting their names back (eg Irrational), and things like EA Redwood Shores becoming Visceral Games (hilarious name as it is, it's not "EARS"), have been happening reasonably frequently in the last few months.

That's pretty nice. I'm glad the big publishers are starting to realize that removing a studio from it's individual identity kind of... sucks. I'm pretty sure there isn't any hope of Rockstar doing this for their studios (ie: Rockstar San Diego = Angel Studios) but that's kind of understandable, I guess.

Also, Valve gets a free pass for acquiring Turtle Rock and just blending them into the Valve name... because honestly who doesn't want to work for Valve?

This wave seems to be receding, though. Studios are getting their names back (eg Irrational), and things like EA Redwood Shores becoming Visceral Games (hilarious name as it is, it's not "EARS"), have been happening reasonably frequently in the last few months.

Yeah, but again, it is a wave. All you need is a slew of more fascist board members to start asking why these games are not published under the umbrella label and things will turn around. :tmeh:

For those that somehow didn't catch it, Irrational also has a new podcast called Irrational Behavior. It's produced in the same style as This American Life or A Life Well Wasted, namely a highly segmented, highly scripted format.

Pretty good so far, especially if you're a fan of Shawn Elliott. Check it out.

That's pretty nice. I'm glad the big publishers are starting to realize that removing a studio from it's individual identity kind of... sucks. I'm pretty sure there isn't any hope of Rockstar doing this for their studios (ie: Rockstar San Diego = Angel Studios) but that's kind of understandable, I guess.

Also, Valve gets a free pass for acquiring Turtle Rock and just blending them into the Valve name... because honestly who doesn't want to work for Valve?

Apparently the guys that founded turtle rock, because they actually don't work for valve, they decided they wanted to stay in LA(or whereever they are in california) and work in their own studio.

Just thought that was a funny tidbit, I probably heard it on the thumbcast.

edit: Had to make sure i didn't dream that, chris posted it on gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23913