Sign in to follow this  
toblix

New Year's Resolutions are Fucking Bull Shit

This topic does remind me of the importance and fun of learning something. One thing I resolved last year was to start learning to play piano. That unfortunately never happened (too busy). This year won't be any different, but perhaps I can squeeze it in this time.

Oh and for this year another resolution is to go on with practicing KENDO and get at least my first kyu!

I'm with you on this one, James. New home, new job. Home, hopefully with girlfriend.

Homes come with girlfriends these days?

I hope she can cook.

My resolution is to try to get back into online gaming. I haven't played any online game since HLDM / TFC. People were dickish enough when it was just text chat, so I'm feeling a bit daunted by the prospect of voice chat.

Two options:

a) Play with friends (or forum-associates, or whatever)

B) Mute everyone

Homes come with girlfriends these days?

I hope she can cook.

You have to supply your own, unfortunately. On the other hand, it's usually best to avoid the "loaner" models anyway. I don't mind cooking myself, and usually do most of it when we're together. On the other hand, I'm a bit of a slouch when it comes to tidiness, whereas she doesn't like cooking and cleans all the time. Hopefully our strengths will play off each other.

Also, I'll try to post less (because I rarely have anything to say) and less negatively. I think I've improved on the whin(g)ing side quite a bit since back when I was banned for it, but I'm not quite there yet.

What? That's crazy talk! (Also, when were you banned??) I have to say that I always found your "whin(g)ing" to be highly amusing and presumed it was done with your tongue in your cheek (at least, partially). I also loved the hilarious "toblix complains" tag (I think it's still the most featured tag on the site), and our own little Idle Thumbs meme (before the podcast created a ton more). I certainly enjoyed putting it in every post you started, whether you were "complaining" or not.

In short: I've never found you to be excessively negative and enjoy hearing your thoughts on things... even if you don't like them. And if I rib you for it, then it's nothing more than ribbing.

Now quit your complaining, already ;)

That ban as well as the temporary closing of the forums altogether happened during the turbulent emo years of Idle Thumbs. It was possibly warranted (I honestly can't remember) but definitely best not to think about anymore.

the turbulent emo years of Idle Thumbs

Wait, when was that ? Jesus, sometimes I think I'm skipping too many threads to notice this kind of stuff...

And 'blix, if you give up swearing, I honestly don't know if I'll recognize your posts. Please don't deprive us of gems like this!

How about something like this?

[*]Stop being afraid of trying an MMO, subscribe to EVE Online for a few months

Give me a shout when you do!

I think I actually have one now. Stop choosing "Easy" first. Usually, when a game has no difficulty selection or picks a difficulty for you (based on tutorial performance or whatever) I have no trouble on Medium or Hard, but if I start a game and I see "New Campaign: Easy, Medium, or Hard?" I will just choose Easy without thinking. I'm going to stop this this year. Not that I'll never play on Easy, but I won't drop it down unless and until I've tried Medium for a while and don't think I can cut it. Because from experience, I can probably cut it.

I stopped picking easy as well a few years ago and went for 2/3 and 3/4 instead, if you know what I mean. From my experience doing so is awesome, because I actually got better at games pretty quickly.