Sign in to follow this  
Patters

New PC: suggest me awesome games!

OK as a few of you guys know I am building a new PC quite soon. Now I am looking to games I can get from steam to give it a work out (preferably on sale).

I'm Planning to get: Batman and RF:G already.

Spec

AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3ghz

Gigabyte 4870 1gb

2gb DDR2 ram

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3

Any suggestions are welcome!

Some guy named Chris Remo once wrote an article about good PC games of this year.

Can go back further than that easily, probably 2007 to next year is a good time range.

3 words: Empire:Total War. If your load times will be under 15 seconds you have pretty good PC. Also I think it's on sale for 50%. Also Peggle.

I'd say that Oblivion is as good a pick as any, if you haven't played it before. The Witcher is supposed to be a pretty premier PC title and it's just running at 13 USD, cheap as hell. Beyond that... I dunno, Orange Box? Probably played at least some of the Orange Box titles, but it's still worth owning and replaying, especially with all the shit they're putting out there for TF2 all the time.

I'd say that Oblivion is as good a pick as any, if you haven't played it before. The Witcher is supposed to be a pretty premier PC title and it's just running at 13 USD, cheap as hell. Beyond that... I dunno, Orange Box? Probably played at least some of the Orange Box titles, but it's still worth owning and replaying, especially with all the shit they're putting out there for TF2 all the time.

The Witcher looks interesting, I already have the rest of the games you mentioned (haven't played too much of oblivion on PC), Might go for Fallout 3 goty edition though.

OK convinced of Red Faction: Guerilla: from GAME user reviews:

Martin Wayman posted on 02 Oct 2009

boring, repetative almost the same as far cry2.

The Witcher, yes, the Witcher. I encourage the buying of that game greatly! Fuck Oblivion.

Fallout 3 would be a good choice as well, though.

I would go for Fallout 3 ahead of Oblivion because I prefer radiation and crushing hopelessness to blue skies and thriving cities. YMMMMMMMMMVMMVVM

Mirror's Edge was on sale a few days ago, and my good PC struggled with that on full settings, so it might have been a good test. It's still only £13, which I'd say it's worth, but it's pretty divisive, and you may already have it for a console.

Obviously Crysis was once the monster of resource hogs, and you can still push the settings up pretty far. I enjoyed the game well enough up until the ice started appearing, which unfortunately happens quite early on. I haven't really played it much since. I haven't touched Warhead yet.

I don't really know. Good luck!

I really need to improve the way I keep track of the games I own. I have no idea what 2009 games I own, well... except Batman AA. What was the last PC game you played anyway?

ps, on an unrelated note, anyone know a nice program to keep track of Video game and movie collections (currently using GCstar).

Team. Fortress. 2.

Company of Heroes.

There's also a new game out in steam, like total war, but based in England and on King Arthur. Saw a friend playing it, looks rather fun.

OK as a few of you guys know I am building a new PC quite soon. Now I am looking to games I can get from steam to give it a work out (preferably on sale).

I'm Planning to get: Batman and RF:G already.

Spec

AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3ghz

Gigabyte 4870 1gb

2gb DDR2 ram

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3

Any suggestions are welcome!

Plants v Zombies is the best PC game I've played in a while... may not exactly "tax" your new computer, though :)

Ghostbusters? (Cheap on Steam.)

FEAR 2, DIRT 2, Far Cry 2, Empire Total War, Warhammer 40K, Witcher, Dragon Age, Fallout 3 and of course Crysis.

Batman AA

COD MW2

The Void

Dragon Age

Fallout 3

Tropico 3

Majesty 2

Some of these are multiplatform, but I prefer keyboard and mouse for all these games

is anyone gonna mention rts? yer yer total war, but star wars empire at war, even age of empires 3, which didn't get ace reviews but that i couldn't fault if id had a good enough computer to run it properly.

Go classic KOTOR or new Mass Effect 2 in january

oh yer just because im a nerd, star wars best of pc u can pick up for 15 quid and its worth 10 times that

If you havent played it yet, Commandos 2.

Bought that and the 3rd for £4 on steam

is anyone gonna mention rts? yer yer total war, but star wars empire at war, even age of empires 3, which didn't get ace reviews but that i couldn't fault if id had a good enough computer to run it properly.

Go classic KOTOR or new Mass Effect 2 in january

oh yer just because im a nerd, star wars best of pc u can pick up for 15 quid and its worth 10 times that

Mass 1 is £3.25, so I re bought that.

Machinarium and Osmos are both worth punts

Already own Osmos, I'll look at Machinarium though