JonCole

Christmas Haul

Is that Moomin as in the weird cartoon hippo things and the scary little girl? I used to have nightmares about that little girl :blink:

Yeah, they look kind of hippo.

There's quite many characters in the Moomin universe in addition to just them and "the scary little girl". :)

I imagine so, as they were created by a Finnish guy and Kolzig's location says Finland.

As toblix said the characters were created a looooooooooong time ago by a finnish woman called Tove Jansson, not a guy. She died a long time ago, but the characters keep on being famous.

The Moomin are really frigging big here and famous for the generation that is same age as me in many countries like Finland and Japan. My wife is a big fan and she is from Japan.

Wha ... ? I always thought it was Japanese. Shows what I know.

Yes the two animated shows that they did were made by Japanese, just shows a bit how big it was there. I've only seen one of them as the other one was only screened in Japanese tv and the other one partly financed by Finnish people.

Edited by Kolzig

The Moomins're awesome. And Tove Jansson is a pretty sweet writer (her novels/prose books are getting very slowly published in English at the moment, one came out this year, The True Deceiver / Den ärliga bedragaren).

I've met a lot of people a handful of years older than me, who grew up with the Polish-German stop motion series of The Moomins. I think we all lucked out with the 90s Japanese version, to be fair.

Moomins!

Oh, for Christmas I got an umbrella, a PS3 controller and a few books 'n things. Including The Push Man and Other Stories by Yoshihiro Tatsumi, which is great and depressing.

It's weird you bring up Moomins.

A guy I know is translating all the episodes currently into english.

Find it here and download for nostalgia mode :tup:

It's weird you bring up Moomins.

A guy I know is translating all the episodes currently into english.

Find it here and download for nostalgia mode :tup:

Weren't they already translated for when they were broadcast in the UK?

Weren't they already translated for when they were broadcast in the UK?

Oh, I'm certain they were. But getting hold of them is like golddust these days. I miss snufkin.