Sign in to follow this  
Lu 

The Spike VGA thing... Trailers!

So there was this award show thing on the US TV network Spike, I believe, out of which came a number of interesting trailers. I figured I'd put them all in a list so they can be discussed, maybe. Possibly.

Halo: Reach

Batman: Arkham Asylum 2

Medal of Honor

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2

Crackdown 2

Spec Ops: The Line

Tron: Evolution

UFC: Undisputed 2010

Rockband Greenday

True Crime

Deadliest Warrior

There are some yummy things there.

I didn't expect the return of the Sands of Time prince (or at least I think that's him), but I figure it has something to do with Ubisoft trying to capitalize on the movie.

Halo: Reach is looking quite interesting. It's also nice to see Bungie stepping up their tech a fair bit.

Arkham Asylum 2, mmmmmMmmMmm more Batman. Please be even better, please be even better.

Dual lightsaber action makes me feel funny in my pants.

What do you folks think?!

I'm really curious about Halo: Reach. There wasn't too much information in the trailer. The only thing I gleaned was a possible reference to 6-player campaign co-op.

There wasn't much information in any of the trailers I saw, come to think of it.

Also Green Day: Rock Band. WTF?

Halo: Reach definately seems like its going to be squad based. "You can leave that lone wolf stuff behind," "I like your skill set." I hope they change it up some but am afraid that giving Spartans a personality might be the biggest change they can muster.

Also Green Day: Rock Band. WTF?

Yeah, really. I like Green Day but they were the gateway band for me that got me into punk rock back in the day. Harmonix's next game should be about all those other bands. It should be called Rock Band: Fuck Your Heroes, feature Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, and Minor Threat and the cover should be a middle finger with the word "hate" tattooed down it.

Although I doubt you would be able to get your "T for Teen" rating with that.

Also, I would hope that most of the bands I would want on it would say "no."

Force Unleashed 2 was a pretty disappointing announcement for me. I hope they make an awesome game and I guess it's not surprising when the first one sold over 6 million units but I was hoping for something more original. :tmeh:

Green Day: Rock Band: :tdown: out of all the possible bands they could have chosen, they choose Green Day? Come on.

Looking forward to learning more about Halo Reach, the trailer was cool but didn't tell us a whole lot about it, I had already guessed it was probably squad based.

Out of all that I was pretty impressed by that Halo trailer; I mean theyr eally have a slick look and mood going there and I haven't played a Halo game since the first. I see a lot of people(elsewhere) shitting on the graphics, I have no idea why, it's conistant with the style they set in Halo 3 but just a lot sharper with a different tone/palette... so that's cool.

Also, Rockband Greenday? Next up, Nickleback! I mean really, they went from the Beatles to a band that was barely relevant 15 years ago? weird.

Star Wars: robes, lightsaber, yep, starwars trailer.

Batman: Didn't dig the first, don't care, but didn't Hamill say he was never doing that voice again?

TrueCrime: (only commenting on this because I know a ton of people working on it) but really if the main character doesn't say "Kung pow" every time he kicks someone in the head, I'm not in.

Green Day, eh? That's so lame it'll actually sell. That's just how it works. The lamer something is, the more money it makes. Glance at any sales chart or box office listing and you'll find yourself agreeing.

Want QOTSA Rock Band :/ (Edit: Though I see a couple of my favorite songs have been done as DLC)

More Batman: Not surprising, but woohoo :tup:

I saw Green Day and Rock Band in the same sentence while going through my RSS feeds, and thought "Green Day DLC? Why, that's not very interes..." and proceeded to the next item.

Green Day Rock Band, though? :hah:

What is strange, is that Green Day have somehow been perpetually kept in place as the mainstream's go-to alternative, pop-ish punk band for 13 years now!

I think they've made some good songs over the years, and Dookie is a good, peppy album. But wow. UK-based teen-alt magazine Kerrang! ran a fan-sourced toplist of best albums of the decade earlier this year. Green Day had 2 in the top 20 - American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. Bonkers.

And, yes, more Batman would be very nice, if done well.

Reach look cool, but I had also already guessed its squad-based nature.

I actually enjoyed Force Unleashed, but I'm wondering how they're gonna make the story work. At the end of the first game, you either became Vader's replacement (complete with a crazy robot suit that is absent from the trailer), or you died (a characteristic that is also absent from the trailer).

Crackdown 2? Holy balls, yes!

At the end of the first game, you either became Vader's replacement (complete with a crazy robot suit that is absent from the trailer)

Wait, what? I didn't play it, but I thought it was like all starwars things where they were trying to cram in everything into the same time line they have been going with for the past 40 years.

Did they decide to f@#$ it and make their own stuff up with the characters finally?

Also, kind of sounds like the game will be about chosing a side considering yoda(or whatever) has some talking points in it.(again I didn't play the first one, so maybe thats what it was already about, but I didn't think so).

The Force Unleashed was about the only thing I enjoyed. Watch the cutscenes on Youtube and you won't ever have to play the game. :grin:

Reach look cool, but I had also already guessed its squad-based nature.

I actually enjoyed Force Unleashed, but I'm wondering how they're gonna make the story work. At the end of the first game, you either became Vader's replacement (complete with a crazy robot suit that is absent from the trailer), or you died (a characteristic that is also absent from the trailer).

Crackdown 2? Holy balls, yes!

And from what I understand, the good ending is the "canon" one. Strange.

Also, I honestly didn't mind Force Unleashed as much as others did, apparently, because I felt the combat was decidedly solid and actually took advantage of the force powers in a way that set it apart from other 3rd person action games. Granted, I'm a Star Wars fan so there's some inherent, uncontrollable bias there, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Wait, what? I didn't play it, but I thought it was like all starwars things where they were trying to cram in everything into the same time line they have been going with for the past 40 years.

Did they decide to f@#$ it and make their own stuff up with the characters finally?

That ending (and some of the subsequent DLC) are the only parts that are really non-canon. In the light-side ending, you fight the Emperor, get killed when defending the escape of Bail Organa, et al, and then the escapees are inspired to form the Rebellion. For dark-side, you kill Vader, become subjugated buy the Emperor, and become Vader's replacement. Then there's some DLC where you go to Tattooine and hunt down Obi-Wan, and the recent "Sith Edition" had an exclusive level where you go to Hoth and hunt down Luke.

Batman: Didn't dig the first, don't care, but didn't Hamill say he was never doing that voice again?

Where did you hear that? I've always thought that he is proud of being the voice of Joker?

EA is really milking it with the return of Medal of Honor. The trailer makes it look like it's Modern Warfare 3.

The beginning of the Spec Ops trailer, while still far from original or "anything special", actually got me a wee bit interested in the game. The latter half was very generic, though, as is the gameplay itself, it seems.

Still, quite surprisingly, that was the most interesting trailer in the list of not very interesting VGA trailers for me.

Where did you hear that? I've always thought that he is proud of being the voice of Joker?

At the end of this video he says it'll be the last time he plays him, speaking about the first Arkham Asylum. He seems to find the gritty setting and violence a bit distasteful.

EA is really milking it with the return of Medal of Honor. The trailer makes it look like it's Modern Warfare 3.

I really can't see any point in it, isn't supposed to be EA's competitor to CoD, Bizarre to have two of them, it looks pretty cool that said though.

It worries me that the only name on TRON Evolution is Disney Interactive. I know it's their property and everything, but TRON 2.0 is actually a game I would count as one of my favorites ever. Without the Monolith name on this one, I'm worried that what is currently a brilliant gaming legacy for the movie (one much like Riddick, where the games are actually better than the movies) will be sullied by a crappy tie-in game.

...man, I need to dig up my copy of TRON 2.0 and play it again. That was a bloody sweet game.

...man, I need to dig up my copy of TRON 2.0 and play it again. That was a bloody sweet game.

Totally. I loved seeing all the different computer systems and networks filtered through the Tron lens. And I always found it interesting that my PC was rendering, in real time, a world much more detailed than the one in the movie that required a day of rendering for a single frame.

It worries me that the only name on TRON Evolution is Disney Interactive. I know it's their property and everything, but TRON 2.0 is actually a game I would count as one of my favorites ever.

It's being developed in Vancouver by Propaganda; the Turok guys (Yeah I know that spells doom) However, I can say the team (well, whats left of them) is actually amazingly talented on the art and animation side; not so much on the design side.

But it's really Disneys filter that kind of grinds things up there and from the sounds of it, this game isn't really large in scope; which could mean good or bad things depending on how you look at it. I'll say that I'm more interested in the movie more then the game.

Idle Thumbs talked about it when they were talking about the first one; and even they were skeptical of that claim; also they poitned out his AA joker was different from the WB joker; so maybe he made the distinction and said no more Wb joker, so Aa joker was ok. I dunno.

I'm sure he's proud of it because it kicks ass, but also employs him; so I'm not sure where he said it or why; I just heard it on one of the thumbcasts.

I have a really horrible memory. I don't remember in which thumbcasts the guys talked about it.

Mark Hamill has always been awesome voice actor. I haven't played the whole game of Arkham Asylum so I don't know if there's difference between the animated stuff and this. I hope they get Kevin Conroy to voice Batman again because with Hamill he forms one of the best "dynamic duos" in the voice acting industry.

I didn't expect the return of the Sands of Time prince (or at least I think that's him), but I figure it has something to do with Ubisoft trying to capitalize on the movie.

Have you looked at his face ? The Prince has never been as ugly… Which says a lot already.

Ok, got a scoop from Forgotten Sands, as I had little to no interest about it from that trailer, but someone wanted to sell me on it.

The trailer was some sort of revived corpse from marketing, like literally very little about it represents the actual game in it's current form.

The game itself actually now has me excited; basically it's Sands of Time, take sands of time + improved mechanics and features.

I think the big win would be to get the SoT voice actors back, because, god damn it, the guy was 1000x better then 2009's asshole.

Either way, I'm pretty curious about it now.

Edited by Murdoc