Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

PixelJunk Shooter!

It's out! Must say, it immediately seems loads more fun that gravity crash - you can bounce off the walls as much as you like, plus loving the water/lava interaction so far! The music is ace too.

Only finished the first stage, but liking it so far!

:tup:

On second episode. Have to say it, but the music is some of the best I've heard in a computer game for some time - maybe even years. In fact, I'd go as far to say that I'd quite happily put some of it on for when friends come round. It's that good.

Damn, forgot this was out this week. I guess I need to fire up the PS3 once I'm done my homework.

I'm having fun with it. I like the music, too, but was disappointed with it during the first boss fight. You get a huge, bad dude crawling around and shooting all sorts of things at you, but then it's set against a low-key groove that clashes with the somewhat-frantic boss-fighting.

I wouldn't exactly compare it to Gravity Crash, either. While they both have a similar twin-stick base, GC is much more old-school, and twitch-oriented, while Shooter is more about manipulating the environment with your various weapons and liquids.

Wow. This game has a really appealing style. As good as Eden was, it seemed a bit too self-serious in its art direction. This game is just goofy and fun, and really sure of itself to boot. It plays great too, with things like the magma cannon really forcing you to change how you get through a level. Like trying to play Asteroids with a fire hose. And yeah, excellent music. Just finished the first level of world two myself. From the "Gallery" screen where you can see the named guys you've rescued from each level, there appear to be 4 worlds with 5 levels apiece.

This is the one that was named by a contest, right? Too bad people didn't know more about what the game was back then. After having played it for an hour, I'd say something like "PixelJunk: Fluids" would be more appropriate. Water, Ice, Magma, some unnamed gas, and forcing the interaction of all of the above are what this game is all about, as far as I can tell. Also, interesting the way you have a heat meter rather than a health bar. Diving underwater is like a full recharge, but you can always just wait for the heat to dissipate on its own if you need to. Nice.

It has 3 worlds, with a varying amount of levels. Wait until world 3, when you get some crazy semi-magnetic fluid. I really like the liquid physics, especially how you can "entrain" liquid with your cannon. None of the levels require it, but you can do things that may have not been initially intended to pass some areas, like shooting water over the edge of it's pool to make it spill out, or cutting pathways through lava-falls and quickly moving through.

Music was very good throughout, with the slight exception of the relatively mellow boss battles. The credits music would have been great for the bosses. Nothing crazy, just faster tempo and a little more active. Also, as I kept playing, I would think, "This sounds like early Groove Armada, or maybe The Orb." A quick trip to Wikipedia let me know that it was done by one of the guys from The Orb, so that was neat.

My main complaint, though, is that it's short, and ends with a "To Be Continued" that means that PixelJunk Shooter Encore will be out next year with extra levels that maybe should have been in the initial release.

I love the mechanics of this game, the way one element of the environment can react with another and another, this is what physics in games should be all about.

My one gripe is that too often the game comes out and ambushes you with some deadly substance suddenly spilling from off screen, or a boss pulling out an insta-kill move late in the already too long boss fights.

After all was said and done this is a game that really left me wanting more. As far as I'm concerned they can't continue this series soon enough.

HOLY COW I love this game!

Just got a PS3 around uncharted 2 so I never played any of the pixel junk stuff(I did watch mosnters for a bit) but these cats know how to make a game.

Art Style: Great. Presentation is like a cartoon alien with a subtle flavor of nes nostalgia(metroid maybe?)

Game: Controls are literally perfect. Contextually is awesome, it feels really really good, all the little subtly in the rumble, sound fx and movement is really cool. Little hints of movement in the environment when you brush by them adds a lot too. Shooting is also enjoyable... want more destroyable bits!(maybe later levels)

Sound: I really love the sound design and music, its really cool.

Yep, thats it, its pretty damn cool.

I really like this game. I think it looks and sounds utterly charming, and it's an engrossing, smooth experience that is fun and brainteasing without being any less laidback.

However, the last boss is pissing me off, and imposing artificial gates on the player that only open when a certain number of items are collected goes against the welcoming, engrossing nature of the thing.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look makes me want this game. I will probably pick it up sometime this winter.

Brad was way to worried about dying/letting the survivors die to really explore some of those areas, which is kinda lame. And he apparently hasn't been paying too much attention to the game; four levels down and he still can't recognize that the "level end" door is quite distinctly different from all the other doors.

However, the last boss is pissing me off, and imposing artificial gates on the player that only open when a certain number of items are collected goes against the welcoming, engrossing nature of the thing.

I hate Hate HATE that guy. Everything else about that game is about cool interactions of physics objects, but that guy is just boring and long. Easily the worst part of the game.

I hate Hate HATE that guy. Everything else about that game is about cool interactions of physics objects, but that guy is just boring and long. Easily the worst part of the game.

I don't know if you found this out, but if you disable his magnetic field right as the glob of liquid is over one of his hands, it lands in and weighs down the hand, making the corresponding drill weak point rise up to be shot. It stays a few seconds longer than the other weak points, and does more damage to him. The real problem is that it's not very noticeable if you're not paying attention at the right moment (which is something that shouldn't happen). Using the drill weak points makes the fight last about as long as the other two. I didn't see it until the second time I fought the boss.

I don't know if you found this out, but if you disable his magnetic field right as the glob of liquid is over one of his hands, it lands in and weighs down the hand, making the corresponding drill weak point rise up to be shot. It stays a few seconds longer than the other weak points, and does more damage to him. The real problem is that it's not very noticeable if you're not paying attention at the right moment (which is something that shouldn't happen). Using the drill weak points makes the fight last about as long as the other two. I didn't see it until the second time I fought the boss.

I knew the drills were his real weak point but I hadn't figured out that weighing his arms down was how you got him to reveal them, I think something should have been done to make that a little more clear.

I knew the drills were his real weak point but I hadn't figured out that weighing his arms down was how you got him to reveal them, I think something should have been done to make that a little more clear.

Same here. Hm.

I have yet to play a pixeljunk game but this is a pretty exciting reaction. I'm going to have to grab this when I'm back with my PS3 after Christmas.

I'm in love with its logo more than anything...

800px-Pixeljunk_shooter.jpg

...the game is not bad either. Started off a little slow but once it got going I couldn't put it down. I do wish there were some sort of level editor though, especially as the physics seem so flawless, it seems suited to a LittleBigPlanet play/create/share thing.

Guhh... This game is fucking infuriating. And now I can't go directly back to the bit I got stuck in, of course. :fart:

Where are you stuck? Nothing has seemed particularly tough so far. I've finished the first level of the third world now, so I may not have made it to the tricky part yet, but it's always seemed fair...

Do a spin by rotating the right analogue stick 360 degrees, like the enemy spinners who create tunnels. It's not that obvious a mechanic actually, I was just lucky to have read someone else explain it. Other than that it's pretty straightforward. Completed the game myself, and think it's pretty awesome, but did anyone else get a weird Sonic the hedgehog vibe from some of the enemies. Or am I just being silly?

Ugh...

I don't like the suddenly appearing enemies. Playing with the different substances and all is very nice and relaxing (when I don't get stranded with nothing to do but fill a room with ice out of boredom), but those enemies give me constant jolts of annoyance. I don't really get why they are like that.

'thanks'.

Oh, don't mention it. Really. :mock:

I'm not sure why you take such a downer on the games difficulty to be honest. The levels are so small that I found any nasty surprises or mistakes I had made were easily forgotten with a simple press of the retry button. I found myself playing cautiously the first time through a level just to find out where everything was and how it worked before doing the proper run a second time through as fast as possible. That wouldn't be feasible if the individual levels were all strung together, but seeing as they are in nice bite-size chunks it's easy enough. I also have to say that I looked forward to enemies popping up out of previously explored scenery as well, to the point I'd anticipate it.

I'm not far into it and I don't think it's my favourite PSN thing ever, but certainly worth the asking price.