Thyroid

Sam & Max 2010

Woohoo! I'm so excited I did a little tap dance and squeed.

Concept art. Hmm!

Official site.

Edit: As Thorn's now dumped thread mentioned (sorry :(), you can get a free episode of Ice Station Santa (S02E01) at the official site, plus a couple of excellent deals.

Edited by Kroms

I wouldn't say I'm excited enough to Squee, but this is good news nonetheless. Not sure what to make of the voiceover on the Telltale webpage though.

I wouldn't say I'm excited enough to Squee, but this is good news nonetheless. Not sure what to make of the voiceover on the Telltale webpage though.

Heh, I get genuinely excited about very very little, but Sam and Max falls into this category. I'm a bit of a Telltale fanboy.

I like the voice. It's a parody of Plan 9 From Outer Space.

After the heights set by TOMI, I'm not sure I'm that excited unless they're doing something different/really special.

Okay, keeping in mind that I haven't touched chapter five yet (I will ASAP, I just want the plumber to come over already and work on my bathroom instead of interrupting me mid-session/cutscene), I thought you intensely "loathed" TMI, especially after chapter four.

Please don't spoil chapter five for me.

As I have mentioned before, I didn't like the overall theme of Season 1 (and probably Season 2 as well, had I played it for more than two episodes) that much and really disliked some of the more "supernatural" stuff like the Lincoln head and the rastafarian fish monkeys. There were a lot of great moments as well, though, so I'm kind of looking forward to this.

I don't know what to make of the potential space theme of the new season. On the one hand, it could mean that Sam and Max finally get far enough from the Soda Poppers (are they still alive, by the way?). On the other hand, there could be a lot of awkward space creatures instead.

Actually, you can ignore everything I said before:

500x_6_01.jpg

I hope it's something of a rethink.

I played most of Season One but got bored, and then I tried 'Chariot Of the Dogs' (the best of the last season, I heard), and found it similarly wide of the mark and never finished it. So many elements were in place with those games, but they came off as much less fun than a Sam & Max game should be. I think that's partly because it's hard to seem as kinetic and stuffed-with-ideas as Hit The Road or the comics when you invest the story with so few locations and characters...

But Tales of Monkey Island very much makes me interested to see what they do with Sam & Max next. I think Tales has been really assured and polished and fun throughout (well, I still need to play the last chapter this evening, but I give it the benefit of the doubt) and they clearly thought a lot about nailing a certain feel, across the whole game. After that massive step up for Telltale, Sam & Max 2010 could be ace.

I played most of Season One but got bored, and then I tried 'Chariot Of the Dogs' (the best of the last season, I heard), and found it similarly wide of the mark and never finished it. So many elements were in place with those games, but they came off as much less fun than a Sam & Max game should be. I think that's partly because it's hard to seem as kinetic and stuffed-with-ideas as Hit The Road or the comics when you invest the story with so few locations and characters...

Also, because Chariots of the Dogs was very much led into by the other three episodes. It is an excellent game, but doesn't work as standalone at all.

Also, because Chariots of the Dogs was very much led into by the other three episodes. It is an excellent game, but doesn't work as standalone at all.

Fair enough. I'd resisted getting season two, and then when I got a free episode with the Tales pre-order, I picked that one, based on all the glowing reviews. Maybe it is only underwhelming when played out of context.

I just noticed the audio clips. The last one ("No longer can you blindly mash buttons.." one) does indeed seem to imply that there might be some changes in gameplay. Either that or it is just a confusing way of saying that this time you will be fighting for "higher purpose". What do you think?

I thought you intensely "loathed" TMI, especially after chapter four.

Eh? Not at all. Considering all the praise I've lavished on the series since it first came out, it kind of sucks that my intense dislike for parts of Chapter 4 have overshadowed all the positive things I've said about it.

My fear is that the lamer elements of Chapter 4 (Saturday morning cartoon quality "shocks" and "twists") will come to the fore in Chapter 5.

My predictions for Chapter 5's ending are:

• Morgan LeFlay won't really be dead by the end of the series...
  • Elaine and Guybrush end up happily together...
  • The Voodoo Lady isn't really evil... ("it's all true, from a certain point of view")
  • LeChuck IS really evil, but won't be destroyed...
  • Jacques the monkey and Stan will both be in the final "party" shot at the end of the game...

Bonus prediction:

• Guybrush will have his hand magically re-attached...

If just four of my predictions are correct, I will be horrendously disappointed that all the promise of doing something interesting with the series (LeChuck = good, and the weird tension and disruption that causes in Guybrush's world. The love triangle between him and Elaine. Morgan LeFlay having zero respect for Guybrush) was for naught.

But that's just me... not wanting a story that would entertain and surprise an 8 year old.

My rationale is this: LeChuck can't be the baddie of the series forever, and they've done just about everything they can do with him in that role... but, on the other hand, they can't (and shouldn't) kill off such a beloved character. So why not keep him as part of the series in a different way, as a new thorn in Guybrush's side, and introduce lots of new foes, instead?

Then next season could be all about Guybrush trying to win Elaine back (while they're all defeating a different common enemy). I think there's just too much unmilked comedy/drama potential in a hapless LeChuck wooing a confused Elaine, and ruining Guybrush's life in a totally differeny way.

(Yes, I am secretly Ron Gilbert, and yes, I think Elaine shouldn't ever really be that interested in Guybrush :mock:)

Edit:

Holy fuck! The opening gave me goosebumps... First impression: Loving it! please make me eat my words, Telltale!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I've already beaten the game and I can say one prediction is wrong and the other SEEMS to be wrong....

Would it be a spoiler to say that the ending makes a sequel possible?:deranged:

But Tales of Monkey Island very much makes me interested to see what they do with Sam & Max next. I think Tales has been really assured and polished and fun throughout (well, I still need to play the last chapter this evening, but I give it the benefit of the doubt) and they clearly thought a lot about nailing a certain feel, across the whole game. After that massive step up for Telltale, Sam & Max 2010 could be ace.

I share your sentiments. I didn't finish the second season because I could never work up the interest to finish Moai Better Blues.

To me, the Telltale games captured the feel and the absurdity of the comics much more than Hit The Road. If I had a criticism of all of the games (both Lucasarts and Telltale, though TT moreso) it's that they're too safe; Max is only quirky, rather than insane, Sam is practical and generally unviolent. Anyway, that's a minor comment.
As I have mentioned before, I didn't like the overall theme of Season 1 (and probably Season 2 as well, had I played it for more than two episodes) that much and really disliked some of the more "supernatural" stuff like the Lincoln head and the rastafarian fish monkeys. There were a lot of great moments as well, though, so I'm kind of looking forward to this.
Personally, I thought Season 2 was much better than Season 1. There's always got to be a certain level of absurdity in anything Sam & Max; you just have to go with the flow.

loved Season 1 and 2.

'Reality 2.0' and the two parter 'Chariot of the Dogs' and 'What's New, Beelzebub' are must plays.

Depending on how you look at it, three to five of ThunderPeel's predictions are right..

To me, the Telltale games captured the feel and the absurdity of the comics much more than Hit The Road. If I had a criticism of all of the games (both Lucasarts and Telltale, though TT moreso) it's that they're too safe; Max is only quirky, rather than insane, Sam is practical and generally unviolent. Anyway, that's a minor comment.

I'd totally agree with you there, although I think the content thankfully got a little more mature and subversive as the series went on (or maybe I adjusted my expectations?).

I share your sentiments. I didn't finish the second season because I could never work up the interest to finish Moai Better Blues.

Moai Better Blues is an awful, off-putting odd one out. I liked all of the other episodes in that season. The problem with S&M, I feel, is that it relies on so much topical humor and famous peep name dropping. It can't be helped. :tmeh:

TMI was really great, tho. The only thing I wish it had was a better name. Tales of Monkey Island is so generic-sounding. Maybe there will be a retroactive subtitle when they churn out another season in two years time? :tup:

Also, I want original IP. Time is ripe. Can we have an amen?

I for one welcome more dog and president rabbity-thing

Season 2 was a huge improvement on Season 1. So long as the engine is overhauled and Telltale/Video Games allow me to use Max on occasion without having to soul swap Sam into Max's body, I welcome possible changes to gameplay and location. Hopefully they continue to get more off the wall/violent as time goes on, since they certainly did as S2 progressed (or did to me).

I think the thing that bothered me the most in both S1 and S2 is the limited amount of screen they could move in/interact with. The games were essentially set on a horizontal plane most of the time (vertical for driving I suppose). There's a huge city they could wander, and we got a sliver of a street to go left and right on. It annoyed the hell out of me until they left and found more of the 'Z' axis.

Moai Better Blues is an awful, off-putting odd one out. I liked all of the other episodes in that season. The problem with S&M, I feel, is that it relies on so much topical humor and famous peep name dropping. It can't be helped. :tmeh:

TMI was really great, tho. The only thing I wish it had was a better name. Tales of Monkey Island is so generic-sounding. Maybe there will be a retroactive subtitle when they churn out another season in two years time? :tup:

It's like MST3K in this regard. When they're too overtly topical, the jokes don't work or have lasting appeal. I can't condemn the name dropping though. They're generally pretty obscure and out of left field. They don't name drop <insert current headline grabbing celebrity> too often. Wouldn't mind an original IP, so I really can't argue that. A three-headed wizard looking for sacred tears, on the moon. Get on it Telltale.

There's always got to be a certain level of absurdity in anything Sam & Max; you just have to go with the flow.

It wasn't the absurdity or the supernatural stuff itself that bothered me so much (although some of it felt a bit unnecessary and lazy or even stupid), but the execution. In my opinion, the rastafarian fish monkeys in Moai Better Blues, for instance, were just plain bad, as was the wobbly thing in the Ice-Station Santa.

I'm actually hoping that they will release a non-episodic adventure game, soon. It would be nice to be able to explore a larger area at once for a change.

I for one absolutely adore everything which Telltale have done with S&M, so I will likely love this. Great news for me.

It wasn't the absurdity or the supernatural stuff itself that bothered me so much (although some of it felt a bit unnecessary and lazy or even stupid), but the execution. In my opinion, the rastafarian fish monkeys in Moai Better Blues, for instance, were just plain bad, as was the wobbly thing in the Ice-Station Santa.

Yeah, that's true. I found Moai Better Blues to be a real chore, on the whole, and Ice Station Santa, while having great ideas, did lack in certain areas.