Sign in to follow this  
JonCole

iPhoning it in

I noticed you had started a game with me, and then resigned before even making your first move. I find it exhilarating that you consider me such a good player that you need a perfect set of letters from the very start to even stand a chance.

Words with Friends is awesome! Jellycar was charming, but a bit too hard for me (although, I went for the sequel, maybe it's harder?)

Pac-Man Championship Edition is awesome, and cheap right now, so that's one recommendation.

I just found two great apps.

1st is Wolfrang's Vault- a big library of concert tapes. Three words: It is big.

2nd is Cube Runner- a pretty basic game. At first I got a feeling that's just one more game that newer changes or ends. But since I had nothing to do, I played it for hours so I became quite good at it so I could survive for about 2 minutes. But then the art style totaly changed and I got trotaly confused. Everyone shoud at least try it to see, how a simple change of art can totaly change the feeling of the game......O, and you shuld play it on hard difficulty from start.

And the best part? They are both free.

2nd is Cube Runner- a pretty basic game.

Excellent, thanks! :tup:

I suspect it's not just the aesthetic change, but also that

you're on a more constrained path

that makes it more difficult at that stage.

Well, I made only about 5 metres after that because I got so invested in it over few weeks that I simply can't get used to the new thing.

People. I have seen the light and now can be added in Words with Friends. I am n0wak, won't you share some words with me, friends?

Pac-Man Championship Edition is awesome, and cheap right now, so that's one recommendation.

It is pretty great, although I'm somewhat annoyed that the quintessential version of that game is on a platform with the worse possible controls for that game. I wish I could get this version of the game, with all the challenges and everything, on something with an actual, tactile d-pad or stick.

That's not to say that the controls in Pac-Man:CE are bad -- they're really good (and customizable) for an iPhone game -- but there's a level of precision you just can't get by rubbing your finger around on glass.

Well, I made only about 5 metres after that because I got so invested in it over few weeks that I simply can't get used to the new thing.

I got past

the tight channel

and into the next section, and the aesthetics really do make a difference:

lack of horizon means that it's easy to start drifting gently left or right without realising, and at first, I was aiming for gaps by avoiding blocks of colour, so vector cubes meant I crashed a lot more quickly.

Current record is 207...

I only have Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Canabalt and Rolando 2 and they're all pretty good. Nothing "so awesome it'll knock your teeth out and make a tribal necklace with them - IGN.com" but considering I got them all for less then half the price of a budget DS or PSP game and they're perfect for short burst gaming I'm rather happy with my purchases.

Just curious, but I read somewhere, can't remember where, that the XBOX 360 controller will work on the PC. Is this true???

Yeah, I play a few games with my wired controller. Just hooks straight into the USB slot. If you only have wireless controllers, you need to buy a dongle so your PC can pick up the signal, but you should still be able to get it working.

Picked up Words with Friends... challenge me, I'm JonCole on there too.

Implode is a physics demolition puzzle game with a nice blackboard aesthetic. It's the first iPhone game that's actually kept me playing to the end rather than being interesting for a few levels.

Picked up Words with Friends... challenge me, I'm JonCole on there too.

You sir are unbeatable.

(he won by ~200 points two times)

You sir are unbeatable.

(he won by ~200 points two times)

I think the asynchronous nature of the game is pretty complementary to how I play... I imagine I'd win more Scrabble games if there wasn't usually a 3 minute time limit to my turns.

Also, I'm not going to get cocky... I had toblix over a barrel in my last game with him, but this time we're going neck and neck and he's pretty damn good at controlling the board.