ThunderPeel2001

Cave Story

I've been playing this little freeware gem for a week or so now and I'm really loving it. (I think I saw it mentioned in the Best Game/Fave Game thread and decided to give it a whirl.) At first I was a bit underwhelmed, but it steadily grows on you thanks to its (somewhat) interesting story, great level design and well balanced mechanics.

I heartily give it a wonderful thumbs up! Grab a gamepad, put it in Windowed Mode (using the setup) and enjoy awesome old skool pixel action:

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/downloads_4.php

As an aside, I also recently learned that the entire game was written by one solitary Japanese bedroom coder... over a period of five years. Wow. You don't need to know that to appreciate the game, but it's rather impressive.

I played Cave Story around the time it came out.

I've been waiting for it's arrival to Wiiware for quite long time now. I will be first in line to buy it, it was supposed to come to North America / Europe already in end of October according to Nintendo's official release list, but I don't know what is going on with the development right now as it's already December now.

The idea that one person coded this game in five years time is amazing. One more reason why I want to invest money in the Wiiware version, even though Nintendo will get their share also in that situation.

Although the PC version has been out forever and completely free I've been waiting for the Wiiware release because this is a game I'm dying to experience on a console. Don't know what's going on with the release, though. As Kolzig noted it seems to have fallen off the map.

Although the PC version has been out forever and completely free I've been waiting for the Wiiware release because this is a game I'm dying to experience on a console. Don't know what's going on with the release, though. As Kolzig noted it seems to have fallen off the map.

It's still coming, apparently they submitted it to WiiWare early November, although they're obviously doing a shitty job of letting people know. Here's the official developer's blog:

http://www.nicalis.com/blog/

I hope it gets a 360 release, I would totally pick it up again.

What is this La-Mulana that they are talking about in the blog also?

Some other game for the Wiiware? That's the first I've heard about that.

What is this La-Mulana that they are talking about in the blog also?

Some other game for the Wiiware? That's the first I've heard about that.

Dude...it's been one of THE indie games for like 100 years. Best educate yourself.

Ah, Cave story on the Wii! Most excellent, here's hoping it encourages more from Pixel and others like him.

The way that game transformed me almost instantly into a kid playing a SNES wrapped in a blanket on christmas morning was amazing.

Europe release is hopefully not so far away from that date. :tup:

God, the instadeaths, fetch quests and weird mechanics... And the horrid save system. It's charming and manages to pull me back, at least for now. But it could have used a tune-up.

Europe release is hopefully not so far away from that date. :tup:

Given the gap between Excitebike and Castlevania Rebirth, I wouldn't count on it :shifty:

God, the instadeaths, fetch quests and weird mechanics... And the horrid save system. It's charming and manages to pull me back, at least for now. But it could have used a tune-up.

It gets better... plus it really is charming. :)

Can't get past a boss in Labyrinth. I'm about done with this, it's made for people who are not me.

Can't get past a boss in Labyrinth. I'm about done with this, it's made for people who are not me.

Aww. It's true that it does NOT fuck around in spots. For me that just reminded me of times when games were more punishing and that nostalgia can carry me through frustrating patches, but I can totally see how you might be put off.

As for the producer guy in that video, not sure if I'd say he seems UNCOOL per se, but definitely putting out very generic games media drivel and riding mentally on Pixel's coattails on this... yeah.

It took five whole years?

Well jeeze, they just don't make Japanese like they used to, do they?

Dunno how I missed THAT comment... for a one man game it's fairly deep and polished. Also, I'm pretty sure he made it while fulfilling other life responsibilities of work/school/whatever he had going on at the time. Game dev. shite takes a LONG time if you only have a certain % of yourself left over to work on it and you don't get help from anyone else. A lot of "solo" games technically have elements borrowed from others, especially music, as creative parity/skill with art, design, and coding is tough enough... Pixel makes chiptunes on top of all that?

Five years, ten? Whatever, my hat's already off.

Edited by Xeneth

Pretty sure that the guy learned himself how to program in those 5 years.

I think this is out now. I might get it soon after I finish the campaign mode for Brutal Legend, since it seems like my type of game.