toblix

Red Dead Redemption

Fuck cougars indeed. When I was doing that stranger mission for the guy who wanted all sorts of beaver pelts, flowers, and feathers, gathering the red sage in Rio Bravo was infuriating. In the space of 20 minutes I was jumped by seven goddamn cougars. All I could do was unload my gun into them while saying "Dammit, I only came out here to pick some fucking flowers!"

And the moral of the story is: Never pick flowers, or cougars will maul you to death.

But seriously, even ignoring the cougars, Red Sage and Desert Sage were an immense pain in the ass to find. They are rarely along the roads, and they blend too well with the environment. I suppose the Survivalist Map would have helped, but for some reason I never bothered to use it.

Fuck cougars indeed. When I was doing that stranger mission for the guy who wanted all sorts of beaver pelts, flowers, and feathers, gathering the red sage in Rio Bravo was infuriating. In the space of 20 minutes I was jumped by seven goddamn cougars. All I could do was unload my gun into them while saying "Dammit, I only came out here to pick some fucking flowers!"

Exactly the same happened to me while I was getting the red sage. I'd acquired a shitload of stuff without selling it or saving too, so had to go back to get the feathers again :(

Survivalist maps are vital for those missions, plus you can easily find plants totaling a value several times over the cost of the map.

A friend of mine sold this to me the other day for £25, and although I'd usually avoid threads like this like the plague, it's brilliant how all fo you understand the workings of the spoiler button - it's great!

So yeah, RDR. Wow. What an absolutely phenomenal game. I particularly liked one side-mission where

you have to either buy land off a guy, or steal it off him, and when I bought it - I was given my money back AND MORE!

I also highly recommend turning off the minimap when not doing highly scripted YOU MUST BE HERE RIGHT NOW missions. It makes the game feel so much more immersive - I love this game.

A friend of mine sold this to me the other day for £25, and although I'd usually avoid threads like this like the plague, it's brilliant how all fo you understand the workings of the spoiler button - it's great!

So yeah, RDR. Wow. What an absolutely phenomenal game. I particularly liked one side-mission where

you have to either buy land off a guy, or steal it off him, and when I bought it - I was given my money back AND MORE!

I also highly recommend turning off the minimap when not doing highly scripted YOU MUST BE HERE RIGHT NOW missions. It makes the game feel so much more immersive - I love this game.

I liked that side-mission as well. However,

based on what the quest-giver said, I thought it was supposed to be you and him buying and working the land together. When it turned out to just be buy the land for that dude, then move on, it felt limiting.

The whole game had a much more limiting story than it initially appeared to. Initially, I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't an RPG. (I also thought it could have been more interesting if you played a marshal, with some actual investigation -- in much the same what that Chris thought Mass Effect might be more interesting if Shepard were Space-Cop -- rather than just shooting everything, but that probably wouldn't fit well with the Western theme. Sounds like LA Noire might be that though.) After a couple more hours, I got over that, and enjoyed it for what it was. I thought the challenge stuff was kind of boring, but the missions were great :tup: and the story (including the side mission stuff) was excellent :tup:.

I didn't mind the HUD, since it was off in the corner, and easy to ignore, but I personally don't like the trend of removing the HUD from games. It isn't a bad thing in itself. It is really effective sometimes (e.g. Dead Space), but usually it feels like a bullet point, like devs do it because they think they're supposed to, without really understanding why[/] it works (e.g. the GPS-via-tail-lights garbage in Brutal Legend). However, some people love it so I'm glad that the option is there. Assassin's Creed 2 did the same thing; I think you could toggle each individual HUD element separately.

Oh god oh god oh god that creepy stranger quest(

Flowers for a Lady

) is actually real.

...holy cow. I don't even know what to say. That's really sad and creepy.

(e.g. the GPS-via-tail-lights garbage in Brutal Legend)

There was a GPS hidden in my tail lights in Brutal Legend?! ...I never noticed. Weren't there giant pillars of stage lights in the sky to orient by anyway?

I liked that side-mission as well. However,

based on what the quest-giver said, I thought it was supposed to be you and him buying and working the land together. When it turned out to just be buy the land for that dude, then move on, it felt limiting.

YES! I thought I was going crazy. I completely thought the same thing.

I see what you mean about the HUD as well. I normally prefer to have it all in front of me, but I honestly don't know why RDR makes me feel like it's better without it. I think it's because, unlike a lot of games, I'm actually seriously appreciating the world they've created. It may be barren and empty for the most part, but it feels absolutely awesome.

There was a GPS hidden in my tail lights in Brutal Legend?! ...I never noticed. Weren't there giant pillars of stage lights in the sky to orient by anyway?

Your tail lights indicated how soon, and how sharp of a turn you are supposed to be making. For sharper turns, the light was brighter. And yes, there were pillars of light, but the terrain in a lot of places made "Just drive toward the light" a not very effective means of navigation. Supposedly they fixed it and gave you a real GPS -- in paid DLC, as an upgrade on your car -- but I beat it shortly after it came out, and haven't played since so I don't know how it's implemented.

Cougars killed my horse, the wankers. I proceeded to kill them, and spend the next 30 minutes attempting to wrangle a horse. I failed, but found myself conveniently at the next mission, where they gave me a horse for free.

Cougars killed my horse, the wankers. I proceeded to kill them, and spend the next 30 minutes attempting to wrangle a horse. I failed, but found myself conveniently at the next mission, where they gave me a horse for free.

I was able to just call a new horse after a short while. It took longer earlier in the game, so it could be tied to fame or honor.

I finished the story the other day and got 100% just now.

A great game, I have to say. Not perfect - I think the horses could have handled more realistically and the horse deeds devalued them too much. I was very upset when my first horse was killed (cougars of course - cougars killed more horses than anything else in the game. Close second was me accidentally shooting my horse in the head while trying to shoot a cougar. Apparently George Custer managed the same thing without the cougar). It was hard to keep up that feeling when it bacame obvious that the game didn't think horses were all that special.

As with all these games, the western feel and scale of the world diminished as the game went on. Not helped by the insane speed that horses gallop at (the first time some cowboys raced past me I thought there was something wrong with the PS3). The beginning is always the best. Still, I liked the ending, especially the various songs that came in near the end.

Playing as Jack just doesn't feel as good. He doesn't look or sound nearly as cool as John. I miss John! ;(

I did the challenges as I went, and really didn't mind them. It did feel as though there ought to be more to do with the provisions besides sell them. I hardly had to sell anything, I was looting so much money in the game. By the end I had nearly £3000 left over.

I liked the little bits of weird west. The theme seemed to be the desert driving people mad - half the residents of the Territory are absolutely barmy and Marsden might well be one of them. I kind of liked how John, despite being such and angry badass was still willing to work and fraternise with seriously unbalanced and frequently annoying people.

Ah well. I think I am going to round off the game by robbing every single bank I can find.

I played John to full honor - I think Jack is going to have a serious fall from grace now that there's nothing else left to do

I finished the story the other day and got 100% just now.

A great game, I have to say. Not perfect - I think the horses could have handled more realistically and the horse deeds devalued them too much. I was very upset when my first horse was killed (cougars of course - cougars killed more horses than anything else in the game. Close second was me accidentally shooting my horse in the head while trying to shoot a cougar. Apparently George Custer managed the same thing without the cougar). It was hard to keep up that feeling when it bacame obvious that the game didn't think horses were all that special.

I actually managed to keep my horse for a long while. Early in the game there is the mission where they give you that honey colored horse. I had that one up past the 20 hour mark before it was mauled. Then I lost 4 more horses in the next hour -- 3 to cougars, but one just up and died for no reason, and then fell through the geometry (so there was a blank spot of ground with the prompt "Skin Animal"). I stopped caring about horses after that, especially since I only had to wait about a minute before I could call a new one.

...I did the challenges as I went, and really didn't mind them. It did feel as though there ought to be more to do with the provisions besides sell them. I hardly had to sell anything, I was looting so much money in the game. By the end I had nearly £3000 left over...

Near the end of the game I sold some stuff to get to "More than a fistful" achievement. When I got it, I had ~$5500 left over. There was very little that was worth buying. I bought the bandoleer, a few weapons, occasionally some ammo, and all the houses, (and I probably should have bought a bunch of survivalist maps).

It's a good think you never want for money in that game though, because the shop interface is garbage. Unless I missed an option somewhere, you have to sell things one at a time, which takes 2 or 3 seconds, rather than being able to choose how many to sell. Considering I found literally 2 Stranger Missions (I didn't 100% the game, so maybe there are more) where you can do something with that stuff besides sell it, they could have just put a "Sell all this junk" option in (though that would interfere with selling things for a higher price the farther you are from where you got them).

Right stick adjusts the amount of things you sell.

I 100% it the other day, then I think I'll go for the rest of the achievements when I have time, though multiplayer will have to wait until I have a Slim 360.

I 100% it the other day, then I think I'll go for the rest of the achievements when I have time, though multiplayer will have to wait until I have a Slim 360.

I could have sworn I tried that. Huh. I'm glad I missed it; I knew R* couldn't be that incompetent. Well, consider that complaint retracted.

I actually managed to keep my horse for a long while. Early in the game there is the mission where they give you that honey colored horse. I had that one up past the 20 hour mark before it was mauled. Then I lost 4 more horses in the next hour -- 3 to cougars, but one just up and died for no reason, and then fell through the geometry (so there was a blank spot of ground with the prompt "Skin Animal"). I stopped caring about horses after that, especially since I only had to wait about a minute before I could call a new one.

Yeah, very similarly. I was gutted the first time I lost one, then realised I could call them fairly quickly. I've used a couple to break my fall off small cliffs when I'm in a hurry and need the shortcut to get away from someone or something. I too shot one in the head accidentally while trying to get an attacking cougar, the resulting "Honour -50" was a real insult in addition to then being killed by the cougar. Also called one while in the gullies near Hennigans Stead. It appeared on the cliffs above, and threw itself off them trying to get down, landing beside me in a heap of broken legs. Simultaneously :tup:, :tdown: and :tmeh:

Why will you have to wait until you've got a Slim 360?

I guess: No wifi dongle?

Success. My wifi dongle moved away (along with my roommate), and I was going to get one, but then I realized that it costs 900kr here, while the slim will be 2000. So I'll sell my current system (an arcade) for around 800, essentially giving me a slimmer system and 250 gig storage for 200.

Anyways, cowboys.

Success. My wifi dongle moved away (along with my roommate), and I was going to get one, but then I realized that it costs 900kr here, while the slim will be 2000. So I'll sell my current system (an arcade) for around 800, essentially giving me a slimmer system and 250 gig storage for 200.

Anyways, cowboys.

Bonkers!

Yeah, very similarly. I was gutted the first time I lost one, then realised I could call them fairly quickly. I've used a couple to break my fall off small cliffs when I'm in a hurry and need the shortcut to get away from someone or something. I too shot one in the head accidentally while trying to get an attacking cougar, the resulting "Honour -50" was a real insult in addition to then being killed by the cougar. Also called one while in the gullies near Hennigans Stead. It appeared on the cliffs above, and threw itself off them trying to get down, landing beside me in a heap of broken legs. Simultaneously :tup:, :tdown: and :tmeh:

I was gutted about my first horse loss (as I wrote here) and then soon after I found out they were pretty much expendable and I was a pretty disappointed.

Whistling for your own horse to appear from nowhere was quite a cool feature. Ridiculous; but I could buy into it. being able to whistle for a new one after losing one felt wrong though. I'd rather have to lasso or steal a new one in the wilderness. To be fair I choose not to whistle now anyway but it broke a bit of the magic when I found out you can get one pretty much on demand.

Also, I had a suicidal horse jump down from a cliff around Lake Don Julio. He jumped clear over my head, collapsed and rolled into the murky waters. I laughed. :tup:

I just think he's free.

I wasn't calling him bonkers, I was calling the situation where a new XBox was more economically viable that a USB dongle, bonkers.

I wasn't calling him bonkers, I was calling the situation where a new XBox was more economically viable that a USB dongle, bonkers.

Nothin' crazy about that.

Finally got around to beating the game. I devoured the first two acts (New Austin and Mexico) but good lord was the third act weak. Nothing but Marston whining about his family at really random and inappropriate times. The first two acts had strong characters that had other motives to help balance this out, but the third one was just Marston not figuring out what was going on despite the fact that they told him he had

kill Dutch

in the first story mission.

Also, god dammit can we get over this stupid Rockstar in-game time yet? I want to do a mission, but since I get bullshitingly executed in or in-between missions, I have to save after every mission. This means that I have to use the save menu 3 or 4 times to fit within the timeframe of when the mission is allowed to occur. If you're going to pull this crap at least have a Bethesda style Waiting mechanic.

Edited by Squid Division