toblix

Red Dead Redemption

Those glitches are the best. A new award category is needed for GOTY's.

About the stranger missions:

As I recall, there were two of these that both turned out to be someone not accepting a loved one's death. The one with the old lady outside the church was more tasteful than the corpse in the rocking chair, I thought, but none were particularly surprising. I really liked the ones that had no real resolution, like the opium-addicted Chinaman, or the lady in the desert. They were sort of depressing, but I thought that fit well with the theme of the game. The ones with a punchline, if you will, like the airplane guy or the guy who kills his wife, were less interesting. The most awesome of all, though, is the I Know You guy with the top hat. It struck me last night that the location and dialogue of the final encounter with him (during the Marston Ranch part) was eerily poignant or whatever the word is.

Few other games have had me thinking back and reflect on its awesomeness.

Hahah oh man.

I triggered the Flowers For a Lady mission very early in my game, during the first 1/3. I couldn't be bothered to pick flowers so I left it hanging. Got to the end of the game, and now I'm going back and doing some of my unfinished side missions. I got the bouquet together, went to the guy... and because I was now playing as Jack the whole scene had a different meaning to me. The story was now that years and years ago John Marsten had promised a man to bring him a bouquet, and now finally his son has decided to keep his father's word and deliver it to him at last... but so much time had passed that the woman had died in the meantime, and her husband had still just lived out all those years in denial waiting for those flowers to arrive.

On a more serious note

The ending was fucking amazing. What an amazing amazing ending. I love being able to continue playing as Jack and how you can interpret this in interesting ways. I also loved the song just when you ride back home to your family - the song perfectly watched the tone of the story at that point, I really choked up, and I couldn't help but rush my way to the farm. While a lot of the side missions in the game I think are kind of dorky with these Rockstar-style caricatures that aren't very interesting to me, the main story I thought was super well done.

Right, I've properly finished RDR now. I didn't even consider that I hadn't seen the credits screen yet. With regards to the I know you guy:

Ah bum. I killed him on the basis that 1. he was creeping me out and 2. he was teasingly near a cliff edge with his back to me... something about this euphoria ragdoll thing makes me want to push people all over the place. Pushing people off heights/into rivers wasn't considered a crime in the late wild west apparently. I hope he comes up again so I can finish that one though.

On another note, I had an amusing moment in Mexico when after walking into town one of the Mexican Army dudes started shooting at me. I had no idea what I did to offend him so not wanting to kill him I hog tied him and left him on the veranda of the saloon (can't remember the places name, it's where the De Santa missions are). No other army guys came along and I didn't have a bounty on my head or anything so I calmly entered the empty saloon and proceeded to get drunk.

The very moment I regained control after falling back off the bar, the shit hit the fan. There're now 4 guys in the bar all shooting at me and the Wanted sign and bounty appear. I drunkenly stumble around falling over chairs and tables trying to get to the nearest exit as bullet whiz past me (and through me) but I end up face down in an awkward heap in the doorway. I must be pretty drunk, because it won't let me get up for a good minute. Also I'm pretty near death.

Lying in a doorway face down turns out to be pretty good cover though and when it finally lets me get up I've completely sobered up. I fought my way out of town and to the nearest train station to pardon myself. Even after reading the list of offences I can't figure out which one started it all, but the timing of the shoot out at my most drunk felt like a proper cowboy moment. I guess that Mexican Army dude just took a dislike to my foreign face.

Marek:

I did the same thing. I was impressed they'd planned for (I'm assuming) all of the stranger quests to be completed as Jack and also ones started as John and finished as Jack. I just finished the poppycock one with Jack and was really impressed he acknowledged his father starting it. Kind of weird for him to be completing these silly errands for his dad but I'm glad they properly thought about its implementation in terms of gameplay. Also in agreement with the ending.

Whoa I didn't know the dialog actually acknowledges that. If it did in Flowers for a Lady I didn't notice. That's awesome.

I did skin a deer at one point and Jack said "just like my father taught me" and in my mind I had a little flashback to teaching him how to hunt. ;(

Unfortunately I only had the flying machine stranger mission left for Jack, but yeah that stuff is well done. Also I thought about the game A LOT for a couple of days after completing which doesn't happen often.

It's not dead yet! I'm still playing despite completing it a couple of weeks ago. Enjoying the new co-op missions that have been released and the multiplayer in general I'm finding myself going back to again and again of an evening.

The other day, me and a couple of mates had a wander into the snowy forested area at night. Being hunted by cougars, bears, boars and wolves in the darkness was really tense and had a genuinely scary atmosphere to it. We had to watch each others backs pretty closely, paranoid of every sound (those damn near silent cougars are terrifying). We eventually went mad and met our ends trying to see how many throwing knives we could stick into each other without dying.

I'm currently playing this too, but don't have much to add to the thread. I'm also trying to avoid spoilers too, after reading it a few weeks ago and spazz-clicking* on a major one :(

I like that the wilderness is populated with random encounters; the kind of things that you could plausibly notice out there but that would be completely lost in a place like Liberty City.

*Is there an inoffensive term for this? I'd like to know.

I have to say, I reached 100% last night (50 hrs), and have played about 3 hours of multiplayer and I personally haven't seen any bugs. I mean, i've seen them on youtube and whatnot, but not while playing.

Finished it a couple of days ago, and even when it was so hyped, I found the ending great. ^^

As for the bugs, I've only seen very minor bugs, money floating around instead of people taking it, that sorta thing. The most major one I saw was when you save one character from a bear. In the following cutscene, the character appeared twice, one coming with me, one just standing there. On the way back I was supposed to have a conversation with him, but he was completely silent, and I was only hearing Marsten's replies. When we arrived, there was two of him again, one waiting where he ended up.

My theory is that either I just imagined taking him there, and he had to go on his own, or he left his SOUL there... ;(

Ending: (DON'T CLICK NACHIMIR OR ANYONE!)

Since everybody had been hyping the ending so much, I was suspecting something would be up after killing Dutch. Then after doing a couple of farm missions, I realized what. In a way, that made it kinda more awesome, as every mission doing things to build my farm and connect with my family again was even more devastating than the next. I was almost a little relieved when it finally happened. But it was still devastatingly sad to see John laying there after spending so much time as him, trying to clear his name. Countdown to tears almost complete?

As for the Stranger mission to wrap it up as Jack, I got it right away, cause the first thing I did as soon as I got control, I headed straight for Blackwater, cause I wanted to find and kill that sonofabitch Ross. And I do agree what some people are saying about doing stuff as Jack gets a new meaning. Not only the left-over stranger missions, but also stuff like treasure maps, challenges and hide-outs, it felt like I was picking up all of my dad's leftover things and contacts, cleaning up what he left behind.

I'm still playing through. I think I have nearly finished the Mexico missions.

The only bugs I've seen are placement of entities in cutscenes - teleporting horses and the like. In one highly amusing scene, Nigel West-Dickinson addressed an excited crowd of ranchers from a few dozen feet away, and from behind a stagecoach. Generally it's fine though.

The game is great. Not perfect - I want more depth to the horses for instance - but still great

Just finished it. I too had been avoiding the thread for fear of spoiling myself on the ending.

Holy shit.

First off, a general personal note about act 4. I live in Alberta, specifically in Calgary. This city is, in Canada at least, where the great plains meet the rocky mountains. West Elizabeth, while presumably modeled on Colorado, may as fucking well have been my home. Tall Trees is where I go hiking in the winter, and Beecher's Hope is where I used to go to ride horses back when my uncle had his ranch. When John went home, I went home. It felt so familiar, so comforting. Even though it was just a game's representation of my home, it got the feel so right. Every emotional note just resonated so much more because it wasn't just John's home, it was mine as well. I kind of wonder how differently this would impact someone who lives somewhere completely different, but I figured that this was worth saying.

Story wise DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME. FUCKING SERIOUSLY.

THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING.

God that was tragic. I had actually finished every stranger quest that was available before doing the final mission, so I unfortunately don't get to see what happens when you wrap them up as Jack. I was so damn close to missing out on the final thing. I saved at the Marston ranch, and was about to turn off the system and take the disk out, when I figured that on the off chance that I'd want to do a bounty later or something, I may as well save at the Blackwater hotel. Goddamn am I glad I did. Got (what I assume are) the last two stranger missions, the one for the prohibitionist, and the one where I went and killed the fed. I don't know if it was just my game or if this was scripted, but I really liked that from the second I became Jack until a little bit after I killed the guy, there was a constant thunderstorm. I figured that the storm lasted way too long to not be scripted, but still thought it was a great touch.

I don't know what else I can say about this ending. If you started this game, you owe it to yourself to finish it.

Unfortunately, due to my wanting to see what everyone was raving about, I ended up mostly abandoning my revenge on the Waltons. I'd take any bounty that had "Walton Gang" on it, and went out of my way to kill any roadside bandits, but going specifically for revenge got put aside. I really wanted to see that ending. I'm really glad I have seen it now.

Actually miffy

that thunderstorm can't have been scripted, it was the sunniest day for me, which gave it a very different tone, but it still felt amazing

That. ^

I started out the mission when it was nearing night, and so I rode through the entire night, relentlessly hunting him, and when I found him and had the duel, dawn was just about to break, giving me yet another tone than you two.

Also: Fuck cougars. Fuck bears.

Fuck cougars indeed. When I was doing that stranger mission for the guy who wanted all sorts of beaver pelts, flowers, and feathers, gathering the red sage in Rio Bravo was infuriating. In the space of 20 minutes I was jumped by seven goddamn cougars. All I could do was unload my gun into them while saying "Dammit, I only came out here to pick some fucking flowers!"