toblix

Red Dead Redemption

Fucking bears. Yeah the cougars may be faster, but the bears are every bit as ninja-silent and can take 3 shots of a buffalo rifle to go down if you're flailing around in panic mode and can't manage a head shot.

And they expect me to knife one of these things now?

I've already lost 5 horses or so doing various challenge stuff in bear territory.

Also hogs, while not nearly as threatening, seem to breed faster than I can kill them.

Fucking bears. Yeah the cougars may be faster, but the bears are every bit as ninja-silent and can take 3 shots of a buffalo rifle to go down if you're flailing around in panic mode and can't manage a head shot.

After the "Kill a cougar with a knife" challenge I was expecting there'd be the same challenge for a bear. I tried several times, using lots of medicine, but every time another bear showed up and finished me. Then I finally happened on a bear that was alone, put a few shots into it at first -- that seemed to make it less aggressive -- and finished him off with a knife.

Thanks for that post Miffy. I probably will never play this game but it was enjoying to read. Hope you feel better.

They killed G Money.

We'd won races together. I'd been riding him for twenty goddamned missions. We pretty much got through all of the game together to this point. He'd helped me capture escaped criminals, save stagecoaches that were under attack, and we had even fought off mountain lions together. Then, I notice that that fucking idiot reporter Jimmy had gotten himself into trouble again in Pike's Basin. The Walton boys had him tied up in their campsite and he was counting on me to go in and cut him loose just like I had in the mines. I rode G Money down the side of the canyon and we cut Jimmy free, but in doing so I triggered a gang hideout mission. Fine then, I thought, I'll just kill these guys and be on my way. Some poor farmer had had his cattle rustled and they were being kept at the bottom of the basin. I helped him shoot his way in, and on our way out I whistled for G Money so I could continue on my way to Fort Mercer. Then the Waltons decided they didn't want to let us go so easy and set up some gunmen along the path out of the basin. I tried to hop off G Money and get him to safety, but the poor loyal bastard kept following me through. When he went down, I lost it. Put away my pistol, pulled out a shotgun, and got up close and personal with the gut of every Walton boy left in the basin. Those close kills, y'know? The ones where you put your gun right up into his rib cage before you pull the trigger.

I hold Jimmy responsible for this, more than anyone else. It's in my nature to help out a hostage, but man it'll be hard for me to not leave him to fucking rot if he gets himself into another one of those situations. I whistled for a horse after leaving the basin and some brown thing with a white stripe on its nose ran up. Riding it just felt hollow. I haven't fast traveled a single time in this game and I don't intend to start, but without G Money the trips seem a lot less pleasant. Just made it to Mexico before turning off the 360 for the night. I hear some of the best horses in the game can be roped in the wild there. I intend to get one. Pure white, so it glows and those Walton boys can see me coming as I hunt every last one of those fuckers down.

EDIT: TLDR version: I just got to Mexico tonight. My horse got shot. I'm sad about it. Grieving with a shotgun.

Miffy, I love you. In a non-scary non-stalker way.

Finally managed to bag myself a grizzly with ye olde knife.

Caught a trio of them at the edge of Tall Trees (?) and some relatively treeless area where it's easier to see if there are more of them coming (and where they don't natively spawn, I believe, so less likely for pals to show up). Shot two of them to the head, kited the third well clear into the treeless area and plugged it with a few to the body and started running after it on foot. Thing led me on a good five minute chase before I was close enough to hit it with the knife though. Luckily no pals of his showed up to ruin the party.

Played for an hour and a half tonight. Half to ride the ferry to Mexico, doing Irish's mission on the way, and an hour to track down and break a Hungarian Half-Bred, the pure white, top-tier horse I intend to exact my revenge on the Walton's with. I named him Junior. Junior isn't quite as fast as G Money, but does seem a bit tougher. This will be useful if he's to stand up in the vendetta I intend to embark upon. He isn't quite the same, nothing could be, but he put up a spirited fight in my attempt to break him. Even dragged me by my own lasso for a bit. I'll have to earn his loyalty yet, of course, but I don't doubt that once I do we'll have some good times. He's a good horse. I'm proud to have him. At the same time, I'm trying to be honest with him. He's been drafted for a revenge mission. If he falls in the line of duty, he will be remembered as a soldier before he will be remembered as a companion. G Money was my traveling companion in this game. When he died, my illusions were shattered. Junior will likely not survive the coming storm, and I don't want him suffering under any illusions.

Played for an hour and a half tonight. Half to ride the ferry to Mexico, doing Irish's mission on the way, and an hour to track down and break a Hungarian Half-Bred, the pure white, top-tier horse I intend to exact my revenge on the Walton's with. I named him Junior. Junior isn't quite as fast as G Money, but does seem a bit tougher. This will be useful if he's to stand up in the vendetta I intend to embark upon. He isn't quite the same, nothing could be, but he put up a spirited fight in my attempt to break him. Even dragged me by my own lasso for a bit. I'll have to earn his loyalty yet, of course, but I don't doubt that once I do we'll have some good times. He's a good horse. I'm proud to have him. At the same time, I'm trying to be honest with him. He's been drafted for a revenge mission. If he falls in the line of duty, he will be remembered as a soldier before he will be remembered as a companion. G Money was my traveling companion in this game. When he died, my illusions were shattered. Junior will likely not survive the coming storm, and I don't want him suffering under any illusions.

You should blog this shit.

Like, new games journalism style.

The other day, just after I had gotten my lasso, I went to go capture a bandit for a bounty. Of course, I wanted to try capturing him alive, so when I finally killed off his buddies, I lassoed, hogtied him, and placed him on my horse. At that point I remembered that there are often treasure chests at these bandit hideout locations, so I ran into an abandoned, dilapidated house and got what money was there.

As I was running back to the horse, I saw red dots approaching - reinforcements! They shot at me and my horse ran off with the leader still on it! Because I was determined to bring him in alive, I got on some other horse and chased him for a literal five minutes, all the while fighting off other bandits and trying to shoot the horse out from under him. The horse ran along the riverbank and finally I shot the horse. The horse fell down. The guy, still hogtied, fell off of the horse and to my horror rolled all the way into the river and died a horrible death by drowning.

Not only did I not get the bigger payout for bringing him in alive, but I felt awful!

The other day, just after I had gotten my lasso, I went to go capture a bandit for a bounty. Of course, I wanted to try capturing him alive, so when I finally killed off his buddies, I lassoed, hogtied him, and placed him on my horse. At that point I remembered that there are often treasure chests at these bandit hideout locations, so I ran into an abandoned, dilapidated house and got what money was there.

As I was running back to the horse, I saw red dots approaching - reinforcements! They shot at me and my horse ran off with the leader still on it! Because I was determined to bring him in alive, I got on some other horse and chased him for a literal five minutes, all the while fighting off other bandits and trying to shoot the horse out from under him. The horse ran along the riverbank and finally I shot the horse. The horse fell down. The guy, still hogtied, fell off of the horse and to my horror rolled all the way into the river and died a horrible death by drowning.

Not only did I not get the bigger payout for bringing him in alive, but I felt awful!

That is an awesome sequence of events!

Miffy, I feel your pain. About 8 hours in I had one of the more emotional moments I've experienced in a game for a while. Allow me to recount my tale.

I'd just left the saloon in Armadillo after another dismal poker session ("there goes my boys inheritance"). As I watched a drunk stumble down a step and roll his face across a horses arse, I considered a way to recoup my losses. Just then a guy in the street ran up to me shouting about his horse being stolen and figuring there'd be a bit of a reward, I gave chase. As I ran I whistled for my loyal steed, Chloe. I'd had offers for better horses in the past but Chloe was my horse. We'd been riding together from the beginning and that meant more to me than pace.

We easily caught up with the thief and I lassoed the rascal, yanking him from the saddle and let him drag behind me a while as I followed the stolen horse. Once it had settled down to a trot I hopped off to hog tie the scumbag. He hadn't survived my measure of justice though. Oops. Anyway, job done. Dude just wanted his horse. Back in the saddle I lassoed the stolen horse and began to lead her back towards Armadillo.

Out of nowhere I was surrounded by a band of outlaws riding hell for leather, pinging bullets all over the place. Letting go of my lasso, I dead eye all three of the goons in the face. I turned to find out where the stolen horse has got to and... ping! A rifle bullet whistled past my ear. Then another. One of the bandits limped out from the bushes and I instinctively fired the rest of the barrel into him. Silence fell. As I began to trot away in search of the missing horse, I was thrown to the ground as Chloe collapsed in a heap. What? What happened? I didn't see any other bandits about, nor had I heard a gun shot. At this point I'm in shock. I must've stood by her corpse for about ten-fifteen minutes trying to figure it all out, looking for bullet wounds, hoping it might have been a physics glitch and she'd get back up soon. No such luck. She'd taken a bullet in the fight, probably the little fucker who'd fired a few pot-shots as he limped out of the bushes. Chloe had ignored the pain and continued on until her last breath without a neigh or a whinny of pain throughout the whole ordeal.

I wanted to bury her, but my only options were to skin her or leave her to the quickly accumulating vultures. I shot at a few to deter them but it was a pointless exercise. With the stolen horse nowhere to be seen either, I turned towards Armadillo and started the lonely walk back.

R.I.P Chloe, stolen by a bullet.

I don't have a good tale about it, but I also felt very sad when I lost a horse I had for a long time.

Not as sad as

when they killed Marston, though.

(ending spoiler)

I don't have a good tale about it, but I also felt very sad when I lost a horse I had for a long time.

Yeah, the way the horses lay with their legs all twisted up is really gut-wrenching.

When he died, my illusions were shattered. Junior will likely not survive the coming storm, and I don't want him suffering under any illusions.

You're a broken man. Ever seen The Searchers? :)

Of course. You speak as though I'm not a big western fan. Freaking love the genre, though I tend more towards the dirty and sometimes self-parodying aspects (Such as My Name Is Nobody, where even Morricone's score seems to be playfully jabbing at his former work) than the John Wayne righteous cowboy ones. Despite this, I freaking love things like Rio Bravo, but most of my favorites come from the other end of the spectrum.

Of course. You speak as though I'm not a big western fan. Freaking love the genre, though I tend more towards the dirty and sometimes self-parodying aspects (Such as My Name Is Nobody, where even Morricone's score seems to be playfully jabbing at his former work) than the John Wayne righteous cowboy ones. Despite this, I freaking love things like Rio Bravo, but most of my favorites come from the other end of the spectrum.

Excuse me...but didn't you say Once Upon a Time in the West was "pretty good"...'cause just FYI...it's fucking motherfucking very VERY good.

I believe I've said on numerous occasions that it's one of my favorite films. At the very least, it's on the short list. Why?

Just beat this game yesterday. Really satisfying ending... probably one of the most satisfying endings I've experienced in quite a while. Now I'm just trying to tick away at that last 5% completion rating, bahhhhh.

Just beat this game yesterday. Really satisfying ending... probably one of the most satisfying endings I've experienced in quite a while. Now I'm just trying to tick away at that last 5% completion rating, bahhhhh.

I'm doing the same, but haven't bothered to go check a FAQ for what needs to be done and I'm out of ideas.

I believe I've said on numerous occasions that it's one of my favorite films. At the very least, it's on the short list. Why?

Ok, fair enough.

Of course. You speak as though I'm not a big western fan.

I did? I don't think I did. You just reminded me of John Wayne's broken character in The Searchers with your post.

Also, how would I know anything about your love for Westerns? :0/

Big awesome that the game should elicit such an emotional response... If only I could afford the damn thing.

I'm doing the same, but haven't bothered to go check a FAQ for what needs to be done and I'm out of ideas.

Actually, if you go to the Rockstar Social Club website, they have a 100% page that tracks things that contribute to that thing. It seems a little buggy, but it definitely points you in the right direction.

Just watched the Hillcoat short.... yeah I'd like the game to be more like what he's selling.

The shots he had more of a direct hand in(or at least feel like it) are awesome musical interludes like the proposition and road. The re-arranging of the cinematic make a more coherent story and the exclusion of a lot of the unnecessary fights and the toning down by not throwing a million enemies at you just feels like a western.

It made the parts I played through feel so gamey now. I know the core mechanic in this is shooting, so it wouldn't be left with a lot if you cut the enemies by 80%, but I'd love to see a game try that one day, make other mechanics for interesting and the core shooting mechanic so fun that I don't have to mow down a towns population to feel good.

My favorite quote from this game "It is your patriotic imperative to oppose women's suffrage!" Anybody else have favorite quotes?