UncleSpaggles

*Breathy Voice* Bayonetta *Breathy Voice*

Two different demos came out that very clearly showed the difference between the originally programmed for 360 version and the substandard SEGA ported PS3 version. Strangely the demos allowed you to spam the sword attack for huge point gains, but otherwise they are a very good representation of the finished product.

Bayonetta is a witch that can summon demons using her magical hair, hair which otherwise is used to clothe her rather impressive figure - people need to get over that part as its a very minor point once you start playing. If you like to dress up Video game dolls and then walk them to the side of a wall and rotate the camera for a closer look-see you certainly can, as each weapon has a unique fashion accessory available from the store...I expect that was included for the girl gamers, but tbh I think its a pretty rad touch which carries across into the cutscenes. You spend a lot of time behind Bayonetta's finely rendered rear so why not pop a flaming red devils tail on there? The presentation is wonderful throughout, the only bum note is the shooting game that appears at the end of each level...fun the first time but soon becomes played out. This is easily forgiven with a game that is teeming with imagination.

Platinum Games are the guys behind Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe and while its easy to mistake Bayonetta for a clone of the former in truth she owes more to the latter imo. The way each section of a level, or Chapter, is broken up into Verses, her ability to manipulate time and some of her move set suggests Beautiful is the new Viewtiful. Bayo can also weapons switch like Dante and has air juggles and combo scoring which all takes place in what looks like a next gen DMC world. To discuss the fighting in great detail would take me into spoiler territory, but its safe to say that each weapon has its only style and many effect the way Bayonetta moves around her environment, choosing the correct tool for the job is often key to avoiding frustration. Once all the basics have been mastered, such as combo strings (of which there are many), Witch Time, Torture Attacks, Taunting and Dodge Offset there are also a few accessories which take the game deeper still. Wear the Gaze of Despair and every enemy you meet will become instantly enraged (as they are when taunted) making them far more aggressive and powering up their armour. Use the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa and you can parry by timing your own attack to hit theirs, get the timing spot on and you perform a perfect parry allowing you to return their damage and sending you into Witch Time. The variation on offer here is truly staggering. To help improve your proficiency there are challenge portals dotted around that you can spend hours in trying to figure how to get the best out of a move or weapon set.

This game has bosses, big bosses.

Thankfully all of this serious fighting is accompanied by a wicked sense of humour with plenty of in-jokes and Video game references that are a real joy. In fact the things that would make most gamers want to play are best experienced first hand instead of being spoiled by me, which I expect will keep this masterpiece as a cult classic rather than a mainstream hit.

Anyway, enough from me...anyone else played it, got any thoughts?

Edited by UncleSpaggles

Anyway, enough from me...anyone else played it?

Wasn't planning on it, but I'll definitely be checking out the 360 demo now.

I'm just calling it as I see it. Something else that's worth a mention is how every single enemy attack has clearly sign posted audio and visual cues. This is probably the most important point tbh because once you tune into these you will be reacting to everything the game can throw at you without even thinking about it allowing you to focus on your offensive combos and other trickery! For example, an angel will make an attack noise, an attack animation and there is even a golden light cue on their weapon just before they strike, 3 things telling you to evade. I'm at the point where I just need to hear an audio cue to be able to successfully trigger Witch Time or counter an attack from an off screen enemy. A trumpet angel will make a musical cue before firing a sound ball at you, its these warnings that let you evade and in this case slow time and knock the ball back at your enemy. Of course this alert system was present in DMC3 and VJ but its certainly been perfected here. One of the reasons I hated DMC4 was its failure to clearly signal all incoming attacks, if you get hit in Bayonetta its nobodies fault but your own.

yep, the game looks like it is going to be absolutely fantastic.

I understand why some dismiss it outright based its presentation and trailers, but the game is just so much fun to play.

I had completely dismissed this game purely on the basis of the slightly ridiculous looking protagonist. But now all I hear are good things!

The last couple of months have been rough on my wallet. I really don't know if I can afford to get all the games I want in early 2010, but perhaps that means the summer won't be as dead as usual.

I'm just calling it as I see it. Something else that's worth a mention is how every single enemy attack has clearly sign posted audio and visual cues. This is probably the most important point tbh because once you tune into these you will be reacting to everything the game can throw at you without even thinking about it allowing you to focus on your offensive combos and other trickery! For example, an angel will make an attack noise, an attack animation and there is even a golden light cue on their weapon just before they strike, 3 things telling you to evade. I'm at the point where I just need to hear an audio cue to be able to successfully trigger Witch Time or counter an attack from an off screen enemy. A trumpet angel will make a musical cue before firing a sound ball at you, its these warnings that let you evade and in this case slow time and knock the ball back at your enemy. Of course this alert system was present in DMC3 and VJ but its certainly been perfected here. One of the reasons I hated DMC4 was its failure to clearly signal all incoming attacks, if you get hit in Bayonetta its nobodies fault but your own.

Ah, that's good to hear, not having proper attack cues in DMC4 after seeing them (almost) perfected in DMC3 and Monster Hunter really threw me off. To be honest, Bayonetta had completely fallen off my radar, but now I'll have to sacrifice another €60 to the Video game gods. *sigh*

It's a strange feeling, being annoyed everytime you remember of another great game you have to buy.

This game got a perfect 40/40 score in Famitsu, a perfect 10/10 score in Edge, and a 9/10 on Eurogamer. Buy it if you like good games.

This might not have anything to do with Bayonetta quality, but Famitsu has awarded 4 perfect score this year among the 13 it has awarded since its creation. And FF13 is not even out yet .

Its a shame, I had one glorious day with the 360 version and have spent the rest of the time flirting with the PS3 effort. Shit Bayonetta is still Bayonetta, but I can not wait for the 8th Jan so I can get back to the REAL version of this!

I really liked reading that this game had an actual easy mode. I think I'm going to buy it.

Its an incredibly accessible and welcoming game on normal, with an abundance of check points (even during sections of the boss battles) - you can create different lolly pops to help you through if your skills are struggling - so try to avoid the Easy mode if you can. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

I really liked reading that this game had an actual easy mode. I think I'm going to buy it.

There's even a one-handed "automatic" mode that's even easier. I'm sure you'll love the game. Buy it!

SEEEEEEGA.

There's even a one-handed "automatic" mode that's even easier.
Too bad this wasn't released in the 90s. The magazine ads would be totally awesome.

PLLAAATTIINUUMM GGGGAAAMMMEEESSS (Sorry)

I heard from unreliable sources that the fate of Marek's legendary long neck hanged onto Bayonetta's european sells. And I'm Singapore for the release date! SEEEEEGGMwahahaha

There's even a one-handed "automatic" mode that's even easier. I'm sure you'll love the game. Buy it!

SEEEEEEGA.

A "one-handed" mode? Am I the last person on the Internet to notice that and then smirk like a child? Oooh Matron, and so on.

Also, I concur and happily participate in regarding...

SEEEEEEGA!!!!!

Man...so it's you and me 'Blix representing the hard-casual paradigm (I love easy modes!) on this forum. Only certain games (and very few of them) make me really gung-ho about being especially challenged. Those have included:Trials HD, Xycle (freeware indie game) and Mighty Jill Off.

Toblix, what hard games have you enjoyed (I ask because, like I said, I think we have a similar sensibility on this issue).

Also: before anyone thinks poorly of me about not liking an extreme challenge

1. So what?

2. I only played video games occasionally up until 2008 when I started getting really into them; Therefore, I'm not very good at them.

Edit: Also, my apologies, Toblix if you're uncomfortable with being addressed about this, but I've noticed that you like easy modes sometimes and don't seem to mind saying so, which is rare among gamers, so without being creepy, I'm just trying to connect with a kindred spirit (I probably shouldn't have said that last thing about the kindred spirit...). I AM NOT STALKING TOBLIX. mostly for geographical reasons

Although this isn't the right thread for it, I can say that I haven't always disliked hard games. When I was a young boy, I could spend countless hours playing games that were next to impossible, like Dragon's Lair. Now, having started to feel death's cold embrace growing tighter for each passing day, I've come to loathe anything that makes me replay stuff over. Essentially, I don't get any pleasure from games that makes you become better by trying things over and over, and only accept games that get more difficuly at the same or lower rate than my skill increases.

Also, what? I thought this was out already, and now I see it's not out until January?!

A "one-handed" mode? Am I the last person on the Internet to notice that and then smirk like a child? Oooh Matron, and so on.

Plz, it's designed so you can play Bayonetta while driving.

Plz, it's designed so you can play Bayonetta while driving.

Or playing a game that uses the microsoft wheel peripheral, no doubt. Damnit, do I need to put two tvs next to each other and buy a second 360 to enjoy this mode? Or should I just install a 360 and tv in my car? Or should I cut off one of my hands and appreciate the fact that there's at least one game I can still play.

Or playing a game that uses the microsoft wheel peripheral, no doubt. Damnit, do I need to put two tvs next to each other and buy a second 360 to enjoy this mode? Or should I just install a 360 and tv in my car? Or should I cut off one of my hands and appreciate the fact that there's at least one game I can still play.
Decisions decisions...

(I vote cut off your hand)

Also, what? I thought this was out already, and now I see it's not out until January?!

Came out in Japan, pushed back elsewhere due to MW2. If it weren't for the apparent inferiority of the PS3 version, I might have imported it.