JonCole

Black Friday Deals

I think it's because it's Saturday, most people are at home, or maybe a bit of both?

My backlog just had a sigh of relief when it saw nothing interesting in this batch that I didn't have... well... I do want Borderlands, but it's not cheap enough for me and I'd probably need to buy a new graphic card to play it anyway... :mock:

Huh? I didn't see the Ghostbusters game before! :blink:

Man... I no longer trust "Can I Play It?"... Without a demo, I'm not going to buy it...;(

Trine is awesome... GET IT NOW!

!!WARNING!!

For anyone thinking of buying the THQ pack and gifting the games they already own: You can't do this. The only games you can gift if you already have them are valve titles!

!!WARNING!!

I am extremely glad you mentioned this! I had no idea.

Thinking real hard about Left 4 Dead over here. How feasible would it be for a complete L4D newcomer to get in and enjoy online matches at this point? Do most people have headsets? Has everyone left for L4D2?

Thinking real hard about Left 4 Dead over here. How feasible would it be for a complete L4D newcomer to get in and enjoy online matches at this point? Do most people have headsets? Has everyone left for L4D2?

You will be fine. Play on normal at first. Most newcomers play there and once you have good feel for the stages and tactics, go to advanced. My experience is that most people don't have headset on normal, but they do on advanced.

I caved and bought Borderlands. Installing it to my laptop now. Will try to play an hour or so at work tomorrow in between actual work and trying to get some headway on a paper that's due Monday.

Magenta Saturday Steam Deals

Left 4 Dead - $7.49

SPORE™ - $19.99

Resident Evil™ 5 - $24.99

Borderlands - $33.49

City of Heroes® Architect Edition - $9.99

Ghostbusters: The Video game - $9.99

Trine - $9.99

Order of War™ - $9.99

So, I'm considering Trine. Anyone played it, and is it worth $10?

Holy crap that's some awesome stuff... If only they allowed us Europeans to buy them for that cheap.

World of Goo is $5 on Steam today if you don't already have it for whatever reason. It's excellent. I bought it twice myself, once for the PC and once for the Wii. It plays equally well on both.

Also, if you're curious about Lucidity but hadn't made up your mind yet, it's $2.50. I went for it. Don't know if I can recommend it or not yet though.

Also, if you're curious about Lucidity but hadn't made up your mind yet, it's $2.50. I went for it. Don't know if I can recommend it or not yet though.
Lucidity is worth buying just for being able to say that LucasArts makes crap games.

Yeah, the few levels I've played now aren't exactly great. I'd go so far as to say that the game is straight up bad, not even mediocre. Oh well. Cost as much as vending machine pepsi, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Lucidity is worth buying just for being able to say that LucasArts makes crap games.

Please don't say things like that... you sound like those spoiled kids who can only tolerate quintuple A titles... :oldman:

I've only played the demo, and I don't see why people think it's that bad..

I can't help to react this way when people say a game is terrible, they usually have never played a truly awful game and so spoiled that they can't handle anything that isn't perfect....

As a backlogger I've played games AVGN bad... Heck! I've played games he's reviewed... I KNOW bad!

It may have a lower quality than other LucasArts games, but that doesn't it make it terrible...

And... I'm derailing the thread.... Sorry, that was a sensitive topic for me... :getmecoat

Oh, right! Play.com is having a Monday sale! I just got the 360 version of games I couldn't play on Steam for the same price or less!

Please don't say things like that... you sound like those spoiled kids who can only tolerate quintuple A titles... :oldman:

I've only played the demo, and I don't see why people think it's that bad..

Hey, I think 'blix and I have proven by now that we are not of that ilk. Anyway, Lucidity feels like a game where they took Tetris and Lemmings and tried to mash them together without ever questioning if that was a good idea. The looming presence of insta-death removes the safety net Lemmings had (even if your first guy dies horribly, the line behind him can be saved) and the random block selection means that you're often stuck plopping down pieces anywhere on the screen in the hopes that the one you need will come up. This couldn't be saved by a radial menu or piece selection, as the aforementioned insta-death means that you likely wouldn't have time to analyze the situation before the girl dies in some way. The game just feels like it is unable to be anything but frustrating without some major overhauls. Broken at an almost fundamental level.

Also, this may be exclusive to the PC version, but the fact that it is mouse controlled but also on a grid means that everything sticks really awkwardly. If you move your mouse just a little bit, the piece will stay exactly where it is. So you move your mouse a bunch. This results in the piece being about 5 lines on the grid past where you want it to be. By the time you can correct for this, the girl is either dead or really close to being dead. On PC, I'd go so far as to say the controls feel busted as well.

On a personal note, not regarding broken gameplay or controls, but something much more a matter of opinion, my god the game is saccharine. I like cute games. I will defend Wind Waker to no end. I love The Legendary Starfy. I really want to buy A Boy and His Blob. I'm not against things that can melt your heart by any means. That said, Lucidity is trying so damn hard to tug at your cute receptors that it comes off almost as a cynical parody. Too much.

I bought it too, for pretty much the same reason. Even if it ends up being shite, I have nothing to complain about for such a small price.

Pretty sure they recently patched Lucidity to have checkpoints throughout the levels so you don't have to restart everything if you die. I haven't played it since then but I imagine that'd make it less frustrating (dunno about more fun).

I hope anyone who doesn't own Mirror's Edge picks that up, for $5 I even bought it and I already have it for 360. On medium settings it runs at least 30fps which I think is pretty good for my computer (and seems to look as good as the 360 version at medium).

Hey, I think 'blix and I have proven by now that we are not of that ilk. Anyway, Lucidity feels like a game where they took Tetris and Lemmings and tried to mash them together without ever questioning if that was a good idea. The looming presence of insta-death removes the safety net Lemmings had (even if your first guy dies horribly, the line behind him can be saved) and the random block selection means that you're often stuck plopping down pieces anywhere on the screen in the hopes that the one you need will come up. This couldn't be saved by a radial menu or piece selection, as the aforementioned insta-death means that you likely wouldn't have time to analyze the situation before the girl dies in some way. The game just feels like it is unable to be anything but frustrating without some major overhauls. Broken at an almost fundamental level.

Also, this may be exclusive to the PC version, but the fact that it is mouse controlled but also on a grid means that everything sticks really awkwardly. If you move your mouse just a little bit, the piece will stay exactly where it is. So you move your mouse a bunch. This results in the piece being about 5 lines on the grid past where you want it to be. By the time you can correct for this, the girl is either dead or really close to being dead. On PC, I'd go so far as to say the controls feel busted as well.

On a personal note, not regarding broken gameplay or controls, but something much more a matter of opinion, my god the game is saccharine. I like cute games. I will defend Wind Waker to no end. I love The Legendary Starfy. I really want to buy A Boy and His Blob. I'm not against things that can melt your heart by any means. That said, Lucidity is trying so damn hard to tug at your cute receptors that it comes off almost as a cynical parody. Too much.

Like I said, I just don't like people saying a game is awful unless it's Action 52 bad, the only games that's THAT bad on Steam was actually removed....

I don't remember the demo that well, but I think I found some of the notes left by the grandma creepy?:erm:

I don't know that I said awful. I did say that it goes beyond mediocre into "bad" territory. Still, a "bad" game doesn't mean it's unplayable. It just means it's, well, BAD. Lucidity is not a gut-wrenchingly terrible game. It is also not a good game by any means. I have played games I would consider mediocre. This is worse than them. That doesn't mean that there are not countless games worse than Lucidity, I'm sure there are. That admission does not however change the fact that Lucidity can accurately be described as bad.

A game is still perfectly capable of being bad, even if it doesn't provoke feelings of intense rage and frustration from the player. If you really need to prove this to yourself, play Lucidity. I haven't hated it while I was playing, and I may even go back to make sure that I'm justified in staying away in the future. I have however felt a profound sense of disappointment while playing this game, which is what prompts me to say it is a bad game. I haven't played Action 52, but the way you described it I think I can confidently say that Lucidity is better than it. It is still bad. One game being godawful does not make any other game less terrible unless it's all you ever play. Even in that case, it is a matter of exposure, not of the game being good. Being gaming consumers, we have the option of playing good games. We may be willing to sit through a mediocre experience if we have nothing better to do (contentious, but for me, this would be something like Hotel Dusk). When a game is not even worth that much, I think it is safe to say we can call it bad.

You said it was bad, Toblix said it was crap, I'll accept it could be bad, but crap...

I'll accept bad, I'm the kind of gamer who thinks you have to know the whole spectrum of quality to appreciate it... Or at least be mildly aware of lower spectrum...

I don't think I've played that many bad games, but I have played games that are THAT BAD, that I can't help to feel some gamers are too pampered and whine because the "game sundae" doesn't have a cherry or sprinkles on it...;(

You should play good games, but the quality bar has risen so much lately, it's hard for some people to see what a "good but not awesome" game is...

You said it was bad, Toblix said it was crap, I'll accept it could be bad, but crap...

First of all, I was making a subjective statement. We don't all have to agree on this. Second of all, Lucidity is crap.

You should play good games, but the quality bar has risen so much lately, it's hard for some people to see what a "good but not awesome" game is...

In more than one way that is a fantastic thing.

First of all, I was making a subjective statement. We don't all have to agree on this. Second of all, Lucidity is crap.

And I've already said how I reply to comments like that...:blink:

In more than one way that is a fantastic thing.

It's fantastic and terrible at the same time, like I said people are so used to top quality games that games that simply good look terrible to them...

As much as I hate the scoring system, anything below a 7 is considered terrible nowadays...

Game companies that made good games are closing because these new pampered gamers won't bother playing anything that isn't perfect, and they seem HAPPY to hear they are closing because "Their games are sh*t!"

I swear to God, one of these days games will have to come with invisible ninja hookers for the gamers who say a game is terrible unless they orgasm for real playing it and are actually serious...:oldman::getmecoat

And I've already said how I reply to comments like that...:blink:

Yeah, you said that you'd reply in a completely pedantic way that doesn't respect personal opinion. Got it.

Game companies that made good games are closing because these new pampered gamers won't bother playing anything that isn't perfect, and they seem HAPPY to hear they are closing because "Their games are sh*t!"

You seem to not understand that the vast majority of people who bought Lucidity did so despite the issues that most people talk about (and believe me, most people talk about the issues) and support LucasArts as a result. At this point, you're just going on and on about nothing.

Yeah, you said that you'd reply in a completely pedantic way that doesn't respect personal opinion. Got it.

You seem to not understand that the vast majority of people who bought Lucidity did so despite the issues that most people talk about (and believe me, most people talk about the issues) and support LucasArts as a result. At this point, you're just going on and on about nothing.

I guess I am being pedantic, but I hate it when people say something is terrible and describe something that seems merely bad or just not very good instead... that's what I have issues with! That's all I'm saying...

I'm sorry if that offends people, but I just can't help to react that way....:blink: