miffy495

goty.cx 2009?

Btw, my votes in their reader's choice were: Outcast, Grim Fandango, Half-Life 2, Thief 2, Far Cry 2.

I didn't put Deus Ex mainly because it didn't age well at all, mostly for technical reasons. Thief 2 is more playable today than Deus Ex.

Btw, my votes in their reader's choice were: Outcast, Grim Fandango, Half-Life 2, Thief 2, Far Cry 2.

I'm not even going to bother with voting. It's just a screwed up popularity contest. It's what RPS wrote about, but worse. I can create a Top 100 games I played. But I don't feel I can contribute to a generic list because I haven't played most of the other games. My opinion is worthless without the reasoning behind it.

Guhh, I need to finish Outcast some day. I guess I'll have to start playing it from the start again. I think I was foiled by some bugs last time.

Outcast didn't age well, I tried to play it a few years ago.

It has some installer trouble (fixed in a later re-release) and of course the resolution is rather minimal for todays standards, but otherwise it seems to have aged quite well (IMHO).

Why do I remember that there was a high resolution version of Outcast released back in the day?

I think I have both the CD and the DVD version of Outcast somewhere in my archives, aka closet.

Why do I remember that there was a high resolution version of Outcast released back in the day?

As far as i can recall there was no actual high res version released (i hope i'm wrong, that would be awesome), but at the time you couldn't turn up the graphics all the way without crippling your system. Also, editing the ini files allowed you to turn things up even more. Maybe you just remember being able to turn everything up to max when you got a better computer a few years later.

It was the Crysis of 1999.

according to wikipedia there is a high resolution patch that allows you to play it in 640x480

Was the original 320x240? I don't remember anymore. One more game that I should dig up from the closet and play again...

I think you could choose among some low resolutions. I think the highest one was 512xSomething.

Outcast - its score might be my favorite gamesoundtrack so far. And the rest of the game was great as well - sadly I never could get it to work properly on a new machine, I always had some UI-problems or something.

it's a good score, but not really fitting to the game
Mh, I'd say the total opposite. For me it's the breath of the atmosphere, the world, the game in general. Rarely a games score is so interwoven with the experience and feel of a game on the whole.

Ok, so I tallied up the "votes" in this thread. If you picked several games without a clear favorite, I just went with the first on the list, because my best assumption is that you subconsciously typed that one first because it's your favorite.

so....

1. Dragon Age: Origins

2. Batman: Arkham Asylum

3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

4. Tales of Monkey Island

5. Forza Motorsport 3/Left 4 Dead 2

I agree with castorp here, it's a terrific score and seemed a perfect fit to me.

I also agree with Castorp and brkl. The Outcast soundtrack is probably one of my favourite game soundtracks of all time and totally made the game for me, among other things.

Yep, it's my favourite game soundtrack. And I think it fit very well.