miffy495

goty.cx 2009?

Are you talking about Ninja Blade or Dragon Age? Both are entirely derivative, one is actually good, and the other is not. Quality and originality are different things though, so I think both are open to your criticism.

...ugh. And Dragon Age has 43% of the votes for the community choice award.

Are you talking about Ninja Blade or Dragon Age? Both are entirely derivative, one is actually good, and the other is not. Quality and originality are different things though, so I think both are open to your criticism.

...ugh. And Dragon Age has 43% of the votes for the community choice award.

Dragon Age, I haven't played Ninja Blade. My criticism was tongue-in-cheek though, I know they mean by original IP that it's not a sequel or based on an existing license, not whether the content is derivative. So which one do you think is good? I personally liked Dragon Age a lot.

Yeah, Dragon Age is the good one. Ninja Blade was just a QTE filled Ninja Gaiden ripoff mess of a game. I was glad to see that inFamous got it though. Off all of their nominees, it's the one I'd most like to see continued.

Yeah, Dragon Age is the good one. Ninja Blade was just a QTE filled Ninja Gaiden ripoff mess of a game. I was glad to see that inFamous got it though. Off all of their nominees, it's the one I'd most like to see continued.

Do not associate Ninja Blade with Gaiden please, OK Thanks!

I'm not saying it's anywhere near as good, but that's obviously what they wanted...

LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

Noby Noby Boy wasn't even nominated for that.

That said, like I give a shit about these lists. Haven't kept track of them at all this year, whatever they pick is bound to be something I wasn't into.

Noby Noby Boy wasn't even nominated for that.

That said, like I give a shit about these lists. Haven't kept track of them at all this year, whatever they pick is bound to be something I wasn't into.

I'm generally in the same boat. For instance, when I saw that in the latest GameInformer the ranked the "best 200 games of all time", I was disgusted and flabbergasted. More recently, I read through the GamesRadar "Platinum Chalice Awards" which seems to be a bit more honest and basically creates "awards" for the sole purpose of giving context to games they'd otherwise want to give recognition to.

I'm not saying it's anywhere near as good, but that's obviously what they wanted...

I preferred Ninja Blade to Ninja Gaiden. Ninja Blade is actually meant to be a parody of games like Ninja Gaiden and God of War. And it turned into solid and enjoyable romp once you get past the QTEs. I normally hate them but there is just enough From Software shine to make me enjoy them.

The boss battles are also, universally, awesome.

But your right it isn't original.

Okay, I finally started playing Assassin's Creed 2 about a week ago. Holy shiiiit...

But no. Uncharted 2 is still my GOTY thus far, however this is an exceedingly close second — a judgement I never expected to make seeing as I thought the original was a bit shit.

Alright, I think I've decided my favourite games of this year. I decided to split my picks into multiplayer and singleplayer, because what I get/want out of both is drastically different. Check out the formatting, it makes it look al official 'n shit! :crazy:

I think one choice of game will make you go: "Really, man? :blink:" But, it makes more sense if you know that I made my choices based on my experience with any given game.

Singleplayer game of the year for me:

Uncharted 2 -- I enjoyed this greatly, especially in the beginning when not every enemy was wearing a helmet. In further sequels, I really hope they quit that thing where they throw dudes at you with heavy armour that don't die from headshots. Use bullet sponges more rarely! :(

Runner up: Batman: Arkham Asylum

Multiplayer game of the year for me:

Bionic Commando for PC -- YEA. You're reading that right, being all controversial with my opinion, ooOooOOoO! It's so flawed, so horribly flawed, but fuck me if I didn't absolutely go nuts for it. The moment I started it up and started playing, everything clicked. This is the game that gets my adrenaline pumping, that gives me sweaty palms as I'm making a run for it with the enemy flag, trying to out swing the competition. No game has managed to consistently get this response out of me since the times of Unreal Tournament and Quake 3.

The biggest enemy of this game was the horrid console matchmaking system, which ended up ruining it completely. Not only did it take ages for it to get enough people together; chances were that half of those players would simply lag out or that everyone simply couldn't connect to the host. Infuriating.

If Capcom announced that they were making a PC only and multiplayer only iteration of Bionic Commando. I would print that announcement out, I'd grind it down into a fine paste, add water and then rub it. ALL OVER MY BODY.

It's kind of sad how excited it makes me to think back and talk about this game.

Runner up: Left 4 Dead 2

Oh yeah, my multiplayer game of the year is Uncharted 2, amazingly. It allows the well-combined shooting and climbing systems to shine and produce incredible dynamism that, playing only the campaign, you'd never think was possible. For everyone else who meh'd at or disliked the single player, I'd seriously recommend taking it online.

Why the hell was I reading this thread?

I'm generally in the same boat. For instance, when I saw that in the latest GameInformer the ranked the "best 200 games of all time", I was disgusted and flabbergasted. More recently, I read through the GamesRadar "Platinum Chalice Awards" which seems to be a bit more honest and basically creates "awards" for the sole purpose of giving context to games they'd otherwise want to give recognition to.

The Top 100 in the February issue of US PC Gamer (I think it might be the same list as the UK PC Gamer, since the two staffs collaborated) is actually really excellent. I was surprised by how on-target it was, and how good the writeups were.

The Top 100 in the February issue of US PC Gamer (I think it might be the same list as the UK PC Gamer, since the two staffs collaborated) is actually really excellent. I was surprised by how on-target it was, and how good the writeups were.

I really liked the list as well. I had never heard of Cave Story until I read it. I just downloaded it today (it's free!) and it is definitely one of the best indie games I have ever played.

It's kind of weird when people describe stuff with phrases like "on target" when what they technically mean is: "It coincides with my opinion."

Also: late to the party, but holy fuck Uncharted 2!!!!!!

It's kind of weird when people describe stuff with phrases like "on target" when what they technically mean is: "It coincides with my opinion."

Also: late to the party, but holy fuck Uncharted 2!!!!!!

It doesn't entirely coincide with my opinion, but it seemed very well justified and interesting to me. There were a lot of games on there I wouldn't have thought of, and some I hadn't even heard of, and some I flat-out disagreed with, but it felt like a list that had a point in existing, and conveyed an interesting snapshot of PC gaming.

It doesn't entirely coincide with my opinion, but it seemed very well justified and interesting to me. There were a lot of games on there I wouldn't have thought of, and some I hadn't even heard of, and some I flat-out disagreed with, but it felt like a list that had a point in existing, and conveyed an interesting snapshot of PC gaming.

Ok. I trust your opinion, Chris, cuz you're a cool motherfucker.

Generally when I see a list I always take a view of "is it justifiable in some way".

The Game Informer list actually didn't bother me as much as I expected. Most of the top ten I can really see the argument for...and they don't line up with my opinions...but I don't know what their criteria was and that can affect things (I feel LttP was better than Zelda1 (and I see LttP as the best in the series)...but if you're taking influence into account Zelda1 has more of that). I loved to see DOOM high in the list...and again; I would probably have that on the very top of my list and almost no one would agree with me on that.

I also agree with what a friend at work said, that perhaps these lists should have some sort of moratorium on games that came out in the last 3-5 years...because its too soon and the hype and newness of something can affect a list (I mean I love CoD4:MW...but I think its presense in the top 10 of Game Informer's list is a perfect example of this). I remember EGM put out a list with Mario64 at #1 the year Mario64 came out...and one of PC Gamer's (or was it CGW?) lists had HL at the very top the year it came out (I can respect HL as #1...but there's something about the timing there where I can't help but ponder if newness and hype can skew perspectives in making a list like this).

The PC Gamer list I didn't mind that much and it didn't much resemble the list I'd probably construct (and to be honest I never would...it would be a nightmare for me to try...and I don't think you can easily quantify such things to get any sort of grand order to it). That said I think its a respectable list and I find the choices to be completely sensible.

Edit: I also had fun trying to find my PC Gamer magazine in the mess on my floor to refresh my memory. That mess is this:

4279897301_54fc91f1d4.jpg

Also my PC desk is worse than the last time I posted a pic...but it looks perfectly stable:

4280672998_b95d2baae1.jpg

Edited by Vorlonesque
Adding shit.

Generally when I see a list I always take a view of "is it justifiable in some way".

The Game Informer list actually didn't bother me as much as I expected. Most of the top ten I can really see the argument for...and they don't line up with my opinions...but I don't know what their criteria was and that can affect things (I feel LttP was better than Zelda1 (and I see LttP as the best in the series)...but if you're taking influence into account Zelda1 has more of that). I loved to see DOOM high in the list...and again; I would probably have that on the very top of my list and almost no one would agree with me on that.

But see, the value of a list comes hand in hand with knowing the criteria. For instance, what if you saw a list of the "top 100 people in the world"? The lack of context is what detracted from Game Informer's list, as far as I'm concerned.

But see, the value of a list comes hand in hand with knowing the criteria. For instance, what if you saw a list of the "top 100 people in the world"? The lack of context is what detracted from Game Informer's list, as far as I'm concerned.

That was actually my main gripe with the list overall. I could kind of guess with what they were going for based on the first three or four...but the more I read the less I had a feel for their criteria. If they just said "hey this is what we were really basing this on" I might have felt less confused. I guess with the GI list I felt like I couldn't really argue with the validity of the first 4 or 5 choices (even if I didn't entirely agree...they made perfect sense to me). I deep down think that beyond the first few they really didn't have any criteria...and the first few were more or less based on influence...and those were all very influential games. I think they basically just voted for most of the stuff and then wrestled over the top of the list and had a big discussion while the rest came down to an average of what everyone thought.

Also, the goatse man and ghandi would definately make my top ten list of people (assuming being dead doesn't disqualify you)...though maybe not in that order (but probably...probably goatse is a more important person to me...he was certainly more influential...why I wouldn't have taken up that hobby if I hadn't...oh wait TMI).

The reason I liked the PC Gamer list is that it seemed to put forth an implied argument as to the nature and purpose of PC gaming. I don't really care so much about the actual claim "This is objectively the 7th best game ever released on the PC" or whatever, and I doubt they cared that much either. It was the overall palette and some various placements I found interesting.

For example, putting Half-Life 2 at #2 followed by Deus Ex as #1 was to me almost a statement in itself. They are paragons of two very different design attitudes, both with strong PC heritage: The thoughtful but very authorially crafted first-person experience, and the involved, player-driven, almost arcane action/RPG hybrid. They're both held up as superlatives of the platform and their genres, but when you're trying to exemplify the PC as a platform, top honors go to the latter.

I personally don't agree with Half-Life 2 being the second-best PC game of all time--it's not even the best Half-Life game as far as I'm concerned. But I think it's a great choice in the context of this list.

And then Team Fortress at #3. That's it's perfect, if you're trying to illustrate what PC gaming is about. That's yet another exemplar of the medium: the constantly-evolving multiplayer experience that is almost single-handedly demonstrating the full potential of games-as-service within the hardcore sphere.

Also in the top 10 are Half-Life, Rome: Total War, Oblivion, Fallout, Thief II, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 3. All very different from one another, all great games as well as excellent ambassadors for specific strengths of PC gaming.

I just feel it was a very illustrative list. It made me think a lot about the PC as a platform and why I like it, and it felt like it was compiled very thoughtfully, rather than as an attempt to just get everyone's favorites in there.