miffy495

goty.cx 2009?

It's 2000 to 2009. Any other suggestions, reasonable arguments, proof to the contrary, will be met with me sticking my fingers in my ears and going "la la la la la".

Still forgot one: Zeno Clash

(how many more of these posts will I have to make?)

I read somewhere less trusted than here I might be able to make this run on an Intel GMA 950. Should I go for the gold or keep dreaming?

[nitpicking]The first decade A.D. was year 0-9? There's no such thing as year 0[/nitpicking]

So how old where you the first 364 days of your life?

The first year in other words? or Year 1?

As there was no year 0 in the calendar a decade should run from 1 -> 10, the turn of the millenium should have been celebrated on new year's day 2001. However aesthetics tends to win out and all those zeroes make a more appealing milestone

So how would you decide game of the decade? Is it simply the best of the 10 GOTYs for that timeframe? Is it the game that influenced subsequent game developers the most? Or is it a game that you feel captures "the spirit" of gaming for the decade?

I've been re-listening to the thumbs and came across the Goty discussion of 08(idle thumbs XI-2) which offered some insight into my decision.

Derek points out:"...IE: his actions truly reflected an aspect of himself" which was a criteria for his choice of Farcry 2(which I agree with, like everyone else should)

So I'm going to pick the same criteria for my choice this year along with one other thing. I have an addiction to TF2(maybe not so much this year because I keep uninstalling it when I need to clean the apartment and bathe) while I compared my time on steam to anyone I personally know they look at me like some sorry wretch shitting into pizza boxes because I won't leave the computer to visit the restroom. Anyway, so I was tooling around steam and noticed that my play time on my choice for goty'09 is pretty much the same amount of time as my second most played class in TF2; TF2 was released 2.5 years ago, Dragons Age was released in November and I wasn't in a day one entry situation.

So yep, Dragon Age wins based on play time and how my actions truly reflected an aspect of myself. I say it was kind of standard Bioware stuff; but I hit a few points in Dragon Age that kind of irritated me and kind of showed me possible aspects to my personality that shouldn't be boasted about.

Without spoilers, as I may have mentioned them in the DA thread, I abandoned quests and suffered certain consequences. I could never "win" a conversation with certain characters; like I just rubbed them the wrong way even when I was making the effort to cater to the them. Pretty much throughout the game it would never, ever, ever, let me have my cake and eat it too... much like real life, so good job Dragon Age, you kind of depressed me in some ways and I think that's cool.

I really felt my elf mage was more or less "me" in a lot more ways Shepherd was; Shepherd was Shepherd (and not just because he was voice acted, etc..).

Oh, and one thing that still kind of confuses me, is I hit a part where I did the RIGHT thing, literally the most morally justifiable thing in a crappy situation and I believe I was punished in terms of the game/characters because to Bioware it was considered not the best thing to do.

This is the first time it has happened and out of every Bioware with a clear good/bad system we've had a disagreement as to what was the right thing to do is(if I am purposely trying to play evil, I know it, here I didn't realize it because the narrative is dead wrong in my eyes)

So, Dragon Age.

I read somewhere less trusted than here I might be able to make this run on an Intel GMA 950. Should I go for the gold or keep dreaming?

I have no idea. It uses the Source engine if that's any indication.

My game of the day 9 december 2009 is Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. As that is the only game I played today.

This is the first time it has happened and out of every Bioware with a clear good/bad system we've had a disagreement as to what was the right thing to do is(if I am purposely trying to play evil, I know it, here I didn't realize it because the narrative is dead wrong in my eyes)

So, Dragon Age.

I think I've had this feeling a few times with Bioware games. Like my ethics are not compatible with the ethics coded into the games. Can't name any specific situations though.

It uses the Source engine if that's any indication.

That's cause for hope, though I don't know if I'm up for PC finagling.

I think I've had this feeling a few times with Bioware games. Like my ethics are not compatible with the ethics coded into the games. Can't name any specific situations though.

Yeah I can understand that, I mean most(read: all) the situations in Biowares games have been blatantly black and white, so even if I mildly disagreed with it, I saw it coming and it really boils down to their intended choice on big situations; but I think it was this situation in Dragon Age that really surprised me and questioned if what the hell I was doing. I even loaded up previous saves to see how the other stituations played out and their blatant "good" choice was just completely wrong, yet it didn't seem to "break" the game as much, so I'm assuming that was the intended choice for them.

My game of the day 9 december 2009 is Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. As that is the only game I played today.

What did you think of that game?

It's ok, it's sometimes a bit frustrating to properly aim. I don't have that much experience with these kind of platform games and control schemes. So it might be just me. Level design isn't that exciting (yet?). I've only done the first "zone" so far (about 3 levels and some small planetoids).

Anyway, at this moment I'm between :tup:and:tmeh:

So, now after more time put into L4D 2 I cannot decide which is my favourite between that and Forza 3.

Forza 3 is such a polished and clean experience it can eat time like no other driving game I have previously played. L4D 2 is probably the best Co-op game I have played (which isn't Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory), and gets it's current joint first position not only for the fantastic game-play and level design, but also those who I have played with, pretty much all of whom are on this forum or linked to it fairly simply.

Overall for the decade, I would say it is impossible to pick just one game which is the best, but I have enjoyed: Half Life 2, Skies of Arcadia, Halo and the previously mentioned Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory the most overall, of course this is subject to retrospect and at the time I have probably enjoyed other games more, these just stand out particular.

It's ok, it's sometimes a bit frustrating to properly aim. I don't have that much experience with these kind of platform games and control schemes. So it might be just me. Level design isn't that exciting (yet?). I've only done the first "zone" so far (about 3 levels and some small planetoids).

Anyway, at this moment I'm between :tup:and:tmeh:

I had no problems at all with the controls. Have you discovered the strafe button yet? L2, I think. Funnily enough, I played Tools of Destruction, but I had totally forgotten about it. It wasn't until like 4 hours in when the game suggested "You might want to use L2 to strafe!" it locks onto any enemies in range, letting you strafe around them and stuff.

I'm mentioning it because I found it quite frustrating at times as well, until I rediscovered that feature.

Hell, I'm still playing Fable 2 ...

+1 on the still playing Fable 2 front, miffy. I've got a kick a$$ shocking mage and I'm working on an evil marksman to blow the testicles off of unlucky villagers. Gotta love logging on and getting 3 STDs in 5 minutes.

Here's my vote for Demon's Souls as up there with the best of 2009. It's smooth, beautiful, addictive and unique.

BTW to settle the decade thing, 2000 - 2010 is the "baker's decade".

I had no problems at all with the controls. Have you discovered the strafe button yet? L2, I think. Funnily enough, I played Tools of Destruction, but I had totally forgotten about it. It wasn't until like 4 hours in when the game suggested "You might want to use L2 to strafe!" it locks onto any enemies in range, letting you strafe around them and stuff.

I'm mentioning it because I found it quite frustrating at times as well, until I rediscovered that feature.

I know about strafing, it's just sometimes very frustrating because it doesn't lock on the enemy I want to. It's bit assassin's creed like. Anyway, played a bit more today. Still liking it. Had another mission with clank, part time based puzzling. And now I have my hover boots.

Street Fighter IV

Honourable mentions: Space Invaders Extreme 2; Canabalt; Hook Champ.

HALF-LIFE 2

I would probably agree. There aren't many games from this decade I've played through more than once. I think maybe Half-Life 2 and Commandos 2.

It's definitely top 5 material for me, at the very least. I know a couple of games that I've played through multiple times that would get up there too (Morrowind, Mass Effect), but it's sorta hard to parse all those games without just getting mixed up in the sheer amount of vectors that could influence a GOTD choice.

wtf is crunchygamer and why would I care what they think?

my game of the day is probably going to be Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time