miffy495

goty.cx 2009?

I know it's going to make me sound like an unbelievably huge ass-kisser -- in this case the mouth-to-ass shenanigans are purely coincidental -- but The Tales of Monkey Island 3: Lair of the Leviathon deserves a mention. The best ep in the series, with the series in general all but definitely in my top three games of the year.

Why is it ass kissing? I want to nominate Tales of Monkey Island as my game of the year as well. Especially because I haven't played any other games this year.

(Seriously, it's a great game. Though I prefer chapter four to three.)

I spent most of the year playing '07 and '08 releases, but Halo 3 ODST was a pretty sweet game. It's more Halo, which is always great, but what makes this my goty is the way the story is told. The atmosphere and gameplay are so evocative and different from past Halo games.

Most played 2008 game in 2009: tie - Far Cry 2 and CoD Waw.

Biggest disappointment: UFC 09. As an MMA fan masturbatory vehicle, it's fantastic. As an actual fighting game, mediocre. As something resembling an actual MMA match, terrible. Actually integrating balance and leverage into the clinch and ground game may be impossible, but the glorified quick-time nature of this game disappointed me terribly.

For all the poo bombs I've been throwing toward Telltale around here and the interweb in general, I must say that, so far, The Last Resort is my game of the year. Like Uncharted it is the perfect alignment of awesome art and craft : it is smart, accessible, grandly innovative within its genre (the variety of the puzzles type are astounding), it's got one hell of an atmosphere, its length is perfect, its coda is fantastic, its writing is awesome, its flow and structure are bloody well mastered ... really the crown jewel of Telltale and my best experience of the year.

I think I played more great games this year then any other in recent memory; but when it comes down to picking my favorite of the year, honestly I don't think anything really captured me enough to push it into memorable status.

Played a ton of dragons age, but I wouldn't say goty because it was kind of the standard stuff from Bioware with some strong gripes against it, Brutal Legend was a hoot while it lasted, but wasn't a full realized game or narrative, I have yet to pop in uncharted 2... but honestly it's not the genre of game I'd typically hold close to my heart as being the best of the year.

Yeah I just dunno, it'll probably end up being some flash game or ps3store/xboxarcade thing when I think about it enough... something small enough to get everything right.

I spent most of the year playing '07 and '08 releases, but Halo 3 ODST was a pretty sweet game. It's more Halo, which is always great, but what makes this my goty is the way the story is told. The atmosphere and gameplay are so evocative and different from past Halo games.

I agree with this completely. ODST was a really pleasant surprise for me. It looks like Bungie have my soul for now.

It's been a fantastic year. There are so many games I feel like I will get around to eventually but haven't even been able to consider buying (I'm looking at you, Forza 3).

I didn't expect it at all but I'd have Dragon Age as my goty, with Dawn of War II as an honourable mention (I played it through on easy and still loved every minute of it).

Yeah I just dunno, it'll probably end up being some flash game or ps3store/xboxarcade thing when I think about it enough... something small enough to get everything right.

I totally agree (my goty is Trials HD). The bigger games get, the more it just makes me realize that games don't need to be big and are often hurt by their bigness.

Oh yeah, Trials HD. How could I forget that. There were loads of games this year that were great and I should honorably mention besides the ones I already did: Trials HD, Trine, Far Cry 2, GTA: The Lost and Damned, Canabalt, Far Cry 2, Plants vs. Zombies, Words with Friends, ...

I think it's worth noting the games you haven't played when choosing your goty. I'm still pretty sure it'd be Trials HD with no contest, but I wish I'd played Little King's Story, Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum, A Boy and His Blob, Hammerfight and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

My runners up are Demon's Souls and Halo 3 ODST.

Little King's Story... oh right I need to try this. I downloaded noby noby last night, we'll see how it goes tonight.

Honestly, still at a loss at what game is clearly better then the others so far; can I just vote game of the year is the industry? I mean nothing exceptional, but average quality this year has been top notch that they deserve an achievement; they can earn another one when they learn to spread this shit out.

In tradition of giving goty to game not released this year here's my list:

1.Full throttle(even if it wasn't released this year)

2.Empire Total war

3.L4D2(Only played it at friend's house but was very impresed)

Edit: O, and did I mention "Cathode ray tube Amusement Device" ?

1. Uncharted 2

2. Dragon Age

3. Heroes of Newerth (no joke, many wasted hours)

1. Uncharted 2

2. Dragon Age

3. Heroes of Newerth (no joke, many wasted hours)

Actually can I add Heroes of Newerth to my most hated game/worst experiance in any game ever that at the same time wasn't the game's fault but the tool bags that play it?

Not to rant, but seriously, it either made me angry or about to cry all 4 times I tried to play it depending on what happened.... knob bag community. :(

Still forgot one: Zeno Clash

(how many more of these posts will I have to make?)

I'm the kinda guy who picks one game at a time, then try to wrench as much fun as possible out of it, so I haven't played a lot of this years high profile games (I refuse the term "triple A").

So of the titles I did play, Dragon Age definitely came out on top for me. It was so visceral, and appealing and all the other PR buzzwords.

Other enjoyable experiences of the year: Shadow Complex, Trine, Left 4 Dead 2 and Brütal Legend (to some extent).

Here's a question; What's your GOTYOTD? That's right, its GOTY of the Decade! It's 2009, so what has been your favourite game of the last 10 years? Or does that warrant its own thread? <.<

Here's a question; What's your GOTYOTD? That's right, its GOTY of the Decade! It's 2009, so what has been your favourite game of the last 10 years? Or does that warrant its own thread? <.<

You mean GOTD. Probably Half-Life 2.

Decade of the game of the year of the decade? Deciphering that made my brain hurt a little. :blink:

Shouldn't we wait until next year to determine the game of the decade or does 2010 not count as part of the first decade of 2000?

Decade of the game of the year of the decade? Deciphering that made my brain hurt a little. :blink:

Shouldn't we wait until next year to determine the game of the decade or does 2010 not count as part of the first decade of 2000?

It depends if you're counting 2000. If you count 2000, which I'm assuming you do since you mentioned it, then including 2010 would make eleven years.

I can't figure out if I just failed really hard at basic math or that your assumption isn't correct. I failed at math.

2000 is the 1st year, 2009 is the 10th year. So the decade is 2000 to 2009 (inclusive).

GOTD sounds just as useful as GOTATF (game of the arbitrary timeframe).

2000 is the 1st year, 2009 is the 10th year. So the decade is 2000 to 2009 (inclusive).
Clearly this decade is 2001 to 2010, inclusive.

I can't figure out if I just failed really hard at basic math or that your assumption isn't correct. I failed at math.

I can't either, but you would generally consider 2000 not to be in the 90s so it must be in this decade. Next year would be the start of the next decade. Of course all of this is subjective as to whether you consider the current values given to years to be valid, one could rightly claim that they considered the decade started in 2007 and will end in 2016.

In many ways it makes sense to do decades from your birthdate for yourself and use the standardised form for public usage. Which most people seem to do naturally. so say in my case the previous (current, just) decade would be 19-12-1999 until the end of 18-12-2009.

Clearly 2010 would be a member of the 2010s and not the 2000s.

Clearly 2010 would be a member of the 2010s and not the 2000s.

[nitpicking]The first decade A.D. was year 0-9? There's no such thing as year 0[/nitpicking]

Actually, I think it isn't really important to think about year 0, and it's easier to consider 1990 as part of the nineties etc.