miffy495

goty.cx 2009?

I know it's going to make me sound like an unbelievably huge ass-kisser -- in this case the mouth-to-ass shenanigans are purely coincidental -- but The Tales of Monkey Island 3: Lair of the Leviathon deserves a mention. The best ep in the series, with the series in general all but definitely in my top three games of the year.

Am I missing some kind of guideline or rule that prohibits mentioning Uncharted fuckin' 2? Because that is way up at the top of my 2009 list. :yep:

probably would have but I've probably played all of 2 seconds of it,

At the moment the full list goes:

WoTS3

Red Faction: Guerilla

Shadow Complex

Beat Hazard

Overlord II

Homourable Mentions:

Borderlands

Streetfighter IV

Spectral Force 3 (actually released last year methinks)

Tomb Raider: Underworld (not released this year but awesome)

My honorable mentions:

Shadow Complex -- nearly a perfect game, except for the crap story

Brütal Legend -- graphically one of the most amazing game worlds I've had the pleasure to experience.

Dragon Age -- most addictive

Risen -- least buggy Gothic yet!

I'm always terrible at this because my memory is worryingly prone to wiping every six months so that I have almost no recollection of when a video game I've already finished actually came out.

Saying all that, I have three games I really want to mention:

Borderlands

Dragon Age

Shadow Complex

My definite 2009 gotys (despite still not having completed any of them):

- Batman: Arkham Asylum

- Shadow Complex

- Uncharted 2

The current steam discount for plants vs zombies reminded me that I totally forgot about this excellent title. Another honourable mention for this one for me

Am I missing some kind of guideline or rule that prohibits mentioning Uncharted fuckin' 2? Because that is way up at the top of my 2009 list. :yep:

I was *this* close to giving them a runner up, but

I though the guardians were weak (appearance-wise). I'm probably totally alone in this, but I preferred the zombies from the first one, either that or just make them real Yetis. Ugly blue things were not cool. Same reason I think Avatar is going to be awful.

edit: also NEEDS MOAR COOP OBJECTIVE SCENARIOS/MAPS

Edited by juv3nal

I though Uncharted 2 was excellent at what it did. It engaged the hell out of me and was a crapton of fun. On those merits, it may deserve a nod. For me though, it was much more of a "popcorn" type experience. When I wasn't playing it, I wasn't thinking about it. When I finished the story, I said to myself "well, that was really enjoyable. Wonder what's next?" and then moved on. Contrast that with Banjo, where I'd be gone for a day or so and be designing new vehicles in my head, getting really psyched up for the chance to realize them in-game. Uncharted had no corollary to that. A great game, no doubt, but the fact that I forgot it so quickly points to a flaw somewhere (in the game or in myself) that prevents me from calling it my goty.

I reread a few of the earlier posts, and Miffy, I'm with you all the way on InFamous. I don't think I dug it as much as you, but that game took me by surprise in an awesome way.

Also, to stop being a lefty pinko flip-flopper on the real issues, and so on (sorry, there's an election going on in Texas) I pick Dragon Age as my game of the year.

For the first time in my life I am messing around with a toolset and making a mod thing. The results are predictably crap but MAN I LOVE THAT GAME.

I may have to put in another vote for Dragon Age. I just picked it up last week and I've played the living bejesus out of it ever since.

For sheer doofing-around-with-your-buddies goodness, I've been getting a kick out of both Trine and New SMB Wii. Honorable mentions for both since I haven't played that much of either yet.

I think it's Noby Noby Boy. If we're doing games from other years it'd be Far Cry 2, never got it until March or something.

Honourables:

Trine

Glum Buster

Street Fighter IV

Empire: Total War

There are a few that I still haven't played. Got them written down though.

For me the Game of the year has been

Batman: Arkham Asylum

I don't have good enough computer to play it, but I played about +30 minutes of it at a friend's place and even though my experience is relatively short with the game, I loved every second of it. No other game had that effect on me during this year.

I think it's Noby Noby Boy.

Oh my God! That's crazy and awesome. I never would have imagined anyone would pick that. It is a great game though.

The problem with goty stuff is that I simply haven't had the chance to play all the games that certainly might have a place on the list. Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and way too many more.

Yeah. My game of the year always is really something from the previous year. By the time I get around to experiencing all of the "must play" games from a given year, it's already August of the next one. Hell, I'm still playing Fable 2 and have barely touched Far Cry 2. I fully expect my game of 2010 will be a 2009 release.

Yeah. My game of the year always is really something from the previous year. By the time I get around to experiencing all of the "must play" games from a given year, it's already August of the next one. Hell, I'm still playing Fable 2 and have barely touched Far Cry 2. I fully expect my game of 2010 will be a 2009 release.

Get back, sinner.

Hey, I played up to the point where you have to meet a guy in a bar. Then the bar was locked. I waited around for an entire day/night cycle and it still wouldn't let me in. It was either a glitch or a poor design decision. I haven't gone back to it, though I do intend to.

Ah, poor design decision then. I'll probably try again over the coming school break. I'll be out of town with older relatives and a gaming capable laptop. Was planning on sinking a lot of time into Fallout 3, (finally got around to getting the DLC) but Far Cry will work as well.

You know, I kind of agree. Yeah, why have two doors on the place (except one of them is bolted on the inside too, so it's not inconsistent). On the other hand, jesus, how long does it takes go circle around one damn building? Just keep your eyes open.

Here are a bunch of my games of the year:

Shadow Complex

Uncharted 2

Grant Thumb Auto

Trine

Flower

Canabalt

Today I Die

It does embarrass me slightly to say that Arkham Asylum will probably be my pick for *the* game of the year. Sadly predictable. But it was so polished, and it pushed all the right buttons for me. And it was only the last boss battle that irked me as I was playing it.

Note: still not completed Machinarium, Lost Winds: Winter of the Melodias, New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Not played Assassin's Creed II, Dragon Age, Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Professor Layton 2 etc.

Wow, this is an interesting list! I've no idea what my GotY would be (I'll give it some thought), but the best games I've played this year would include:

Ben There, Dan That

GTAIV

and

TOMI (although I have a dreaded suspicion I'm going to detest the final chapter -- we'll see)

Cave Story

Only TOMI is actually from 2009! :-/

I'm sure I must have played something that was released this year. At some point.

My 2009 GOTY is Forza 3. They iterated on everything that made Forza 2 the most approachable serious racing game on the market. There are just more cars, more events and more tracks. They also made serious improvements to the driving model that go beyond just modeling flips. It's just a lot of fun to race. It's also a lot of fun to buy the crazy detailed pop culture decals that people make and plaster them all over $500,000 Ferraris for sweet drift-u action. Also, drifting is fun. Forza 3 just has everything I want out of a driving game.

runners up:

Plants vs Zombies is a $10 game I've put over 30 hours into.

Flower is a gorgeous experience, and I didn't cry, but I was completely swept up by the rich visuals and music. It also features the best motion control scheme I've ever used.

Persona 4 technically came out in December of last year, but who finished this whale of a game in less than a month? P4 offers the most robust demon slaying and full-bodied Japanese school girl dating of 2009.