miffy495

goty.cx 2009?

Just wondering if anything will be done with goty.cx this year. The end of 2009 is rapidly approaching and though the cast proper may be over, that doesn't mean people stop having opinions. As the gamse of the year feature was text-based last year, I hold out hope that there will be a new feature from the Thumbs and us, the readers. Any plans, Chris/Jake/Nick?

Failing that (and the reason I put this thread in the "Gaming" subforum): THUMBS! Use this as an opportunity to talk up whatever gaming experience made you most happy this year. There have been quite a few good ones, so this is where to put them.

I haven't tried it yet, but I expect CSI: DEADY INTENT will be my goty. Second place would most likely be GTA IV just for the amount of fun I've had from it during the year. Also, wtf is up with the year almost being over. Jesus, it was just Christmas 2008 people! Was World of Goo from this year? Fuck time.

edit: Also, these should be helpful:

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3171537

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/100-most-anticipated-games-of-2009/a-2009011310192182096

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/01/top-10-most-ant/

Holy shit: Bionic Assassin, or whatever it was called, the Super Metroid or whatever game with the foam gun. That was awesome right of the blue. And Batman, how could I forget. Batman was definitely the biggest awesome surprise of this year.

Probably Forza 3. We should combine this with (or make a separate thread for) the game of the decade.

I haven't tried it yet, but I expect CSI: DEADY INTENT will be my goty.

Sadly it's not GOTY material (are you seriously expecting it to be?). It is pretty good, but a million unnecessary minor annoyances soured it somewhat for me. Telltale really needs someone with HCI qualifications to polish up their games.

This is going to sound horribly sycophantic, what with Ben being a regular around these parts and all, but Time, Gentlemen Please is probably my GOTY. Laughed out loud more times than I could count.

Sadly it's not GOTY material (are you seriously expecting it to be?). It is pretty good, but a million unnecessary minor annoyances soured it somewhat for me. Telltale really needs someone with HCI qualifications to polish up their games.

This is going to sound horribly sycophantic, what with Ben being a regular around these parts and all, but Time, Gentlemen Please is probably my GOTY. Laughed out loud more times than I could count.

Shut up, sycophant.

Just kidding.

But seriously. Maybe "CSI: Blah Blah Blah" will be Toblix's Goty. He's a pretty unique dude (in a good way, of course). (embarrasing admission forthcoming) I have a word document where I've listed all the games that 'blix seems to be really keen on, and it's quite different, I'm sure it's very very different from what would come up if I made a list of anyone else. No offense or anything, but who are you to say what's GOTY material and what isn't. The answer to this kind of question is bound to be unique to each individual, especially when the motherfucker in question is a rad, individualistic motherfucker like Toblix.

Telltale really needs someone with HCI qualifications to polish up their games.

nagisas-shock.jpg

What about Jake? I heard somewhere he's done 80% of everything on that game, from UI to voice acting. His Fishburne is impeccable.

This is going to sound horribly sycophantic, what with Ben being a regular around these parts and all, but Time, Gentlemen Please is probably my GOTY. Laughed out loud more times than I could cunt.
Good point. I had totally forgotten about it (which means nothing, since I needed an article from 2008 to remind me of Batman), but it's definitely one of the best of the year.
embarrasing admission

Holy Maloney.

Ooops, didn't mean for it to sound like that, I just wasn't sure if Toblix was being facetious or not. I certainly wasn't suggesting that the CSI games aren't hardcore enough or something, (EDIT: I just meant that I found some areas of the game really irritating). For what it's worth Deadly Intent is the only game I've pre-ordered possibly ever.

Also: Shut up, sycophant!

Holy Maloney.

Please, take it as a complement. You have really interesting taste, and I think you're a rad dude.

Please, take it as a complement. You have really interesting taste, and I think you're a rad dude.

Thanks. You are awesome, too.

I like the selection here. I'm also using it to remind me of games that I need to play. I missed that Dark Sector (or whatever the hell the Castroid game for XBLA is called) game when it came out due to hard drive limitations, and now am thinking I should go back to it. Also, Groucho is stalking 'blix. Good to know.

My personal Goty is not actually of 2009, like brkl and Erkki. Mine would be Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, which I got in January, so it's 2009 for me. Though I stalled right before the boss fight and have yet to finish it. Platformers do that to me. I have enough Jiggys to fight Gruntilda, but still haven't visited 2 levels. Completionist instincts cause me to get everything before moving on to the next level and unlock the boss fight earlier than they assume I would. I did the same thing with Mario Galaxy, actually. Then, once the boss fight is open, I freeze up and put the game away until I guilt myself into finishing it. That's neither here nor there though. Point is, I think I actually had more fun with Nuts and Bolts than with any of the 2009 releases that I've played. The joy of making a total James Bond car (incredibly streamlined, fast race car, with the ability to turn into a submarine or fly when the need arose) and having the damn thing work cannot be equaled.

If we do limit ourselves to 2009, I'm probably going to end up going with Infamous. I beat that game twice. In a week. That shit was addictive as hell.

EDIT: Also, in all seriousness Groucho, I would be really curious to see what your 'blix list has on it. If nothing else, for amusing reminders of his rants. (see: threads related to the Mario & Luigi series)

Glad some one else has been thinking about that. I've been working on a top 5 + honourable mentions for this year. It is something I send around work just to start conversations.

In my head so far Way of the Samurai 3 has taken the Gold from Red Faction: Guerilla. In the last 3 weeks I've spent 66 hours on that game and I still haven't seen everything.

Oh and Miffy the game is called Shadow Complex, Dark Sector was fun but it was a completely different disc-based game.

I think for me it would be Arkham Asylum. Torchlight is good, but not goty. For the rest I don't know what other good 2009 games I played.

Oh and Miffy the game is called Shadow Complex, Dark Sector was fun but it was a completely different disc-based game.

Actually, it was Black Facility.

[edit]

Are we splitting this in PC/360/PS3/wii categories?

[edit part deux]

OK, here's my goty:

Left 4 dead 2

It took an already incredibly great game and made it ten times as awesome. Not only is the level design so much better, everything just works so perfectly together to force teamplay and create amazing stories every time you play.

Honorable mentions

- Shadow complex. This is platform based exploring refined to it finest.

- Dawn of war II. For revolutionizing RTS gameplay.

- Torchlight. For realizing what diablo (and it's clones) are all about. And giving it to you in spades.

- Trine. How could I forget this one?!

Edited by ysbreker

EDIT: Also, in all seriousness Groucho, I would be really curious to see what your 'blix list has on it. If nothing else, for amusing reminders of his rants. (see: threads related to the Mario & Luigi series)

The Monkey Island series

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

the Broken Sword series

Test Drive Unlimited

Super Cars

Stunts

Stunt Car Racer

Vette!

Zen Bound

EDGE

Indigo Prophecy

Legend of Kyrandia

Beneath a Steel Sky

Simon the Sorceror

Commandos 2

Desperados

Time Gentlemen, Please!

Ben There, Dan That!

Words with Friends

Crusader series

Rick Dangerous 2

Half-Life 2

The Blackwell Convergence

Police Quest III

the Phoenix Wright series

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

Mirror's Edge

Discworld Noir

Anachronox

Ico

Sanitarium

Dragon Age

edit: like a week ago I voted on the Spike VGAs and Dragon Age wasn't even a nominee for goty, and resident evil 5 wasn't on the list for best graphics. wtf?

Dragon Age

Nothing else this year has held my attention for as long. I can't remember the last time I finished a game and jumped right back in to go again.

Game of the year stuff is always so hard for me, because I usually don't give games a space in my head to compete. It's more of a "oh, I remember that game, it was sweet" and that's as far as it goes. I've been thinking about this all day and I've broken it down to four games, one of which I decided to name my favorite with the disclaimer that I feel like a newer game more freshly in my mind is sure to have an unmeasurable advantage:

Game of the Year:

Assassin's Creed 2

Runners Up:

Red Faction: Guerilla

Halo 3: ODST

Borderlands

Arkham Asylum wins hands down for me, it was well polished and a very good progression for stealth games.

Others that come close: GTA IV for the large amount of fun I've had playing it with you guys, and Trials HD for the sheer addiction level emanating from something so outwardly simple.