Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Web Addiction Gets Conscripts Out of Army

Yeah, finnish people avoiding the army by any means necessary.

That's what I thought when I heard that the first time on the radio yesterday, I've heard a lot of stuff concerning the avoiding thing.

But this was something new.

"For people who play (Internet) games all night and don't have any friends, don't have any hobbies, to come into the army is a very big shock," said Commander-Captain Jyrki Kivela at the military conscription unit."

Whoah, that sounds exactly like me (except I do have friends). But I'm too old to be drafted, and I'm not Finnish citizen. :grin:

HELSINKI (Reuters) - A number of Finnish conscripts have been excused their full term of military service because they are addicted to the Internet, the Finnish Defense Forces said Tuesday.

So I still have a chance!!

"For people who play (Internet) games all night and don't have any friends, don't have any hobbies, to come into the army is a very big shock," said Commander-Captain Jyrki Kivela at the military conscription unit.

To play computer games isn't a hobby? And I read "military constipation".

"They get sent home for three years and after that they have to come back and we ask if they are OK ... they will have had time to grow up," Kivela said.

Darn.

However, the Internet drop-outs have not dented national pride in "sisu," a Finnish quality of being tough and resilient.

Fuck youse.

Anyway, when I was drafted they showed us this video. I only saw the beginning of it, but it claimed in pink letters (get it, PINK!!) that "THE MILITARY IS A FUN PLACE!!"

Oh my lord Jesus. You know, once I get access to a press, I'll make a huge poster with a picture of a dead solider and the words "THE MILITARY IS A FUN PLACE!!" accompanying it. Then I will spread it everywhere.

heh, if koreans could be excused from draft with web/mmorpg addiction, South korea would have no army.

Anyway, when I was drafted they showed us this video. I only saw the beginning of it, but it claimed in pink letters (get it, PINK!!) that "THE MILITARY IS A FUN PLACE!!"

If it's the same video they showed when I was drafted, last century, it had the nicer aspect of those young guys in swimsuits. :naughty:

It looked last century fer sure. You know how it is.

Damn, I missed the only worthwile moment of the 'show'! On the other hand... well, I'd better not say it. :shifty: I don't want to get too excited.

I almost asked the doctor guy there if gays were allowed in the army, because I didn't know back then.

But we'll see how it goes.

Oh, and nice to see you here at Idle T, Swordie. :yep:

Heh, I have a friend of a friend of a friend (I think) who got drafted into the army, but he didn't like it and claimed he was gay. So he got sent home, but three month's later, he got a letter from the army saying that he was to join the army again, but now in a company consisting only of gays! HA!

I don't know if it's true or something. The second friend could be lying.

An obvious lie.

I think.

Just in case anyone was wondering, as in Finland being gay is not an illness, gays are just as obliged as anyone else to do their military service.

Just in case anyone was wondering, as in Finland being gay is not an illness, gays are allowed to go to the army.
Amazing. :innocent: