toblix

Assassin's Creed II

AC1 is flawed, but genius in what it attempted and its unique atmosphere. I still love it dearly for what it did right and what it inspired. The ending, I don't even care anymore. It's shit, but the entire series has never really got the ending right. It's part of the deal, I guess. You play it for all the kerrazy roof jumping and horse(bag)ing around.

I feel much more ambivalent about AC2, whose pacing problems weren't remedied until the vastly superior Brotherhood.

true, i used to just load it up and run over the roof tops, killing gaurds etc and then just turn it off. Not even bothering with the story. The only reason i progressed was to get better moves/wepons to make the combat easier, am i right in thinking that you didnt get a counter until you kill the first target? because countering was the only way i used the combat.

AC1 was one of the only games I've ever sold back before finishing. AC2 maybe have been loosely paced but AC1 had a mind-numbingly boring pace. It was an - agreeably impressive - tech demo disguised as a game. Do mission, save some peasants, do very similar mission, save some peasants, do agonizingly identical mission, ride horse extra slow by guard to get to next town to do more of the same... it got old so fast.

When I said the final ending I wasn't even talking about the crazy PoE shit. I just meant the final hour of constant combat against 10+ dudes at all times, all of whom are elites (three counters to kill).

What about the ending of AC1 was so terrible? I will never argue for it being a flawless game, but i quite admired it. It was a risky, weird game.

Edit: Oh, that string of battles right at the end? Yeah, that was a bastard.

I think AC2 is the best game in that series though, fucking loved that game.

Brotherhood has some seriously careless gameplay balancing issues, it's like no thought at all went into how the new tools they added would affect the overall experience. On command assassinations more or less break that game. It's also mondo buggy, including some nasty game-enders.

Then there's Revelations... Has anybody played Revelations? Is it worth picking up cheap?

I've been slowly playing through Revelations since about March. I like it, actually, I just need to pace myself more than with the rest of the series for whatever reason. I'm starting to get near the end, and every time I pick it up (about once a month) I have a bunch of fun with it, I just then forget to pick it up again for a while. I'd still say it's worth a punt if you're interested.

Assuming a person has gotten somewhat wrapped up in the ongoing story, is revelations worth it for that?

I've seen people say it's kind of the least inspired and essential of the main games, which is why i've been putting it off.

If you really want to get closure on Ezio, yes, play Rev. Just be aware it is the weakest of the Ezio Trilogy by a fair margin. It's absolutely worth $15, but I wouldn't recommend it at $30.