Scratch

Left 4 Thumbs 2

The times I've played a good, balanced match I can count on one hand and those were an absolute blast. Although the one with the drunk guy and the 2 stoned guys were pretty good too. :grin:

I gotta say that was of the gaming highlights of this year so far, hands down... That was just about the most surreal moment I've ever had!

:tup:

You should know that we play on alternate Sundays at 3pm EST. This Sunday we'll be playing BC2 if the servers don't go down again.

I'd missed this. I'll update the Thumbs Steam calendar accordingly. Annoyingly, Steam won't let me schedule an event for a game not in my library. :frusty:

Shame my PC won't be able to run BC2, sounds brilliant fun.

I'd missed this. I'll update the Thumbs Steam calendar accordingly. Annoyingly, Steam won't let me schedule an event for a game not in my library. :frusty:

Shame my PC won't be able to run BC2, sounds brilliant fun.

Whats your spec Wrestle? BC2 isnt really that intensive. I can run it very well on a E8400 clocked at 4ghz, 4gb of 800mhz DDR2 and a 4850... I have max details and stuff, but my res is only 1280 by 1024...

Seeing as sometimes we mention BC2 on this thread, I have put a suggestion forward to be mulled over / massacred on the BC2 thread:

A new multiplayer game (for the times when left for lobby gets too much)

I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks of this and whether it could be a go-er?

:tup::tmeh::tdown:

Pilgers.

Whats your spec Wrestle? BC2 isnt really that intensive. I can run it very well on a E8400 clocked at 4ghz, 4gb of 800mhz DDR2 and a 4850... I have max details and stuff, but my res is only 1280 by 1024...

Well below that, sadly. Source games run well enough, but little else.

Well below that, sadly. Source games run well enough, but little else.

Crumbs - and I thought I had the lowest spec PC amongst us all! What are you running Wrestle, a Casio calc?

:grin:

Crumbs - and I thought I had the lowest spec PC amongst us all! What are you running Wrestle, a Casio calc?

• Pentium 4 2.4GHz HT
  • 4GB RAM
  • Nvidia 7800GS 512MB

...but it was free. :blink:

Not too demanding stuff from a couple of years back runs at 1,920 x 1,080 without a problem. And, as mentioned, modern Source games like Left 4 Dead 2 run smoothly enough at 1,280 x 720 with most DX9 stuff cranked up.

But I don't really play much on PC anyway. It's why I bought an Xbox 360; having been part of the PC hardware rat race for a decade, I don't have the funds to maintain a modern gaming rig now.

The last gaming rig I built, I had a decent bit of money aside I could spend on it. So I was lucky enough to splurge £400 on the graphics card alone. But that was back in 2004, and that machine's long gone now (had to sell it for space reasons only 6 months after building it; was gutted).

The only thing that keeps me away from consoles (apart from the dumbing down of their games) is the lack of mouse and keypad. I just cant imagine a fps without being able to use a mouse. I played Halo3 on the XBOX when it came out, and having to use a gamepad just ruined it for me, mate...

Why cant they just get a mouse that can be added in and is incorporated into the game? I couldnt give a monkeys about 'motion controllers' and stuff, but directional controllers are useless at making that snap headshot!

:yep:

Maybe we use team text chat for tactics and Skype for voice?

Any time I'm typing, I'm not moving or killing things. That's generally bad in a multiplayer game. I'd rather play silently than give someone a chance to type-kill me.

Any time I'm typing, I'm not moving or killing things. That's generally bad in a multiplayer game.

You might be respawning...

And you don't have to type every time you spawn. We just need to have some semblance of coordination I think, that's all.

I return after a long exile (by which I mean partly work and partly Mass Effect 2), and there's nothing on the radar - no friends playing. Did the discussion on backchat channels etc also encompass a new time, or is it just that we've moved on to BFBC2 en masse while I was away?

But this is a changeable as the weather, depending on how friendly the servers are on that particular night!

:yep:

So my router/computer does NOT like Skype + L4D2 with heaps of peeps in it it seems? Last night it hard crashed my PC (it actually BSOD'd so it could have been my overclock but I don't think so) and reset my router (which takes an age to retest itself or whatever it does).

Sorry to crap out on everyone all of a sudden. Skype seems to work perfectly for BC2, lord only knows what was going on last night.

So my router/computer does NOT like Skype + L4D2 with heaps of peeps in it it seems? Last night it hard crashed my PC (it actually BSOD'd so it could have been my overclock but I don't think so) and reset my router (which takes an age to retest itself or whatever it does).

Sorry to crap out on everyone all of a sudden. Skype seems to work perfectly for BC2, lord only knows what was going on last night.

Wasn't it decided that your horrible connection was the problem, rather than Skype?

Well yea, it was decided after Andy disconnected and I continued to host the Skype convo with zero impact on my ping. :mock:

Next thing we are playing is this:

Gc0glTCzHPM

Also speaking of ping, I get very sirious connection problems every time I use any Source game and Skype at the same time.

Oh, also: if anyone has the TeamSpeak 3 client lying around, they could try connecting to thewizardscolon.com. It seems to me Skype is having problems keeping people connected, and this could be a fallback thing, I dunno. I haven't tried it myself with lots of people, but it's supposed to be scaleabaleble.

Wasn't it decided that your horrible connection was the problem, rather than Skype?

I think it is my connection, possibly my 0.5gb upload speed?

...Also speaking of ping, I get very sirious connection problems every time I use any Source game and Skype at the same time.

You and me both.

Looking forward to a good game tonight. I havent played L4D2 for a few weeks now - Think it was getting a bit stale.

Are we choosing teams rather than random? If so, how do we do that?