Scratch

Left 4 Thumbs 2

I'm downloading L4D2 right now. I'd be up for a run through one of the campaigns before GTA if anyone is interested in a go with me. I just got a headset microphone working, so I may actually be useful with communication this time!

I like all of the little musical variations, too. The weird, discordant calliope/theremin in Dark Carnival, the touches of Deliverance-style fiddle and banjo in the Swamp, and the blues trumpet in The Parish add to the individuality of each campaign.

Just had a run through some of the Carnival level with Cigol, Ysbreker, and Patters. Lot of fun, but holy shit this game is way harder than the first. I died, like, a lot. Tried the third chapter three times before I had to leave. Just firing off a quick post here before I leave for work. Look forward to more thumb games in the future.

EDIT: Also, just logged into Steam on my laptop to finish a download while I'm walking my dog, and 7 notifications popped up for friends playing L4D2. Seems successful.

Sounds like I missed most of you today but I'd definitely be up for some co-op campaigns in the future. I haven't fully gone through any of them yet, keep getting interrupted, but I should be available to play most afternoons (I am GMT-5). My Steam name is Jeffu32.

So I had this master plan to play all the campaigns in order, since I had the impression there was more of a story to them this time. But then the Admiral says something like "no, fuck that bra theres no story," which I then repeat to Wrestle who's all "whaaat omg there's totaly a sotry!" Who should I believe? My own brother or the buttsex peddling brit?

Anyway, I'll probably be logging on regularly to see if I can find three other people who were just about to start playing one of the campaigns all the way through.

If you paid attention, you would see I'm no longer Admiral.

I am a civilian from now on. I'm

Mr. Grippage.

:adama:

Regarding L4D2, there's little doubt that it's now a completely different game with a lot more tactics involved. It's also a whole goddamn lot harder than L4D (with the same difficulty level anyway).

I feel like it's still buggy (Especially the AI) but who plays with bots anyway?!* The most jarring thing is that the zombies now fullyprevent you from moving when they're attacking, while in L4D you could be surrounded by them and still move slowly. Not sure I like this. It feels less dynamic.

Weapons are weird. Why are there 2 or 3 assault rifles and 2 sniper rifles on the same damn table? And what's the difference between the shotguns? :crazy:

I haven't played Versus mode yet, but I welcome the change from playing the useless Hunter all the time. I can't wait to steer people down burning cliffs while fornicating with their skulls.

*I did. SUCKED

There's totally a story. Just like the first one, all the campaigns link together, but this time it seems they've taken steps to make it more obvious.

Just played through Hard Rain. It's pretty interesting. Without being too spoilery, instead of five chapters of going forward to find the rescue point, it had you go find an objective and return to the starting point. Hard Rain is the campaign with the much-touted Director-controlled weather, and it can get intense.

Weapons are weird. Why are there 2 or 3 assault rifles and 2 sniper rifles on the same damn table? And what's the difference between the shotguns? :crazy:

There are little differences. I suppose it depends on your play style. The M-16 seems to be more accurate than the AK, but I think the AK may hold more ammo. The "combat rifle" shoots 3-round bursts. The combat shotgun fires faster than the pumpy. I haven't really looked at the hunting/sniper rifles, but I would think that maybe magazine capacity or fire rate differs. Maybe scope magnification, too.

I finished three campaigns in a row. I need to finish the others off as well before Sunday, so we can get a versus game going. Of course it will all depend on how many of us are willing to play versus so soon.

I spotted a couple of subtle bugs and glitches as well, but these will no doubt be fixed in the near future. At least let's hope they get fixed.

Also, do any of you find that the spitter goo looks kinda funny, in a comical way? The textures and the colour on that thing just doesn't seem right.

I'm turning out to be the kind of prat who insists on using mêlée weapons all the time. They're surprisingly effective! They can even do a great deal of damage to the tank, as long as you stay behind him. Well, the katana can, anyway. I love the katana.

Edited by JamesM

The grenade launcher can take out the tank in 10 seconds, and is as far as I know the only weapon that facilitates a solo takedown of the brute, practically speaking.

I know that Left 4 Thumbs is a PC-based institution, but are any Thumbers going to get this on console? I don't have a good enough PC set up, and I know hardly any people who would get it on 360. This is the reason I missed out on the first game last year, dammit.

I know that Left 4 Thumbs is a PC-based institution, but are any Thumbers going to get this on console?

I will obtain the console version on the Nordic launch day. (20th

Gamertag: wasp seducer

Just had a very entertaining run of the sugar mill one with Wrestle, James, and Ysbreker. Thanks for letting me jump in halfway through chapter 3, guys. Good game, but holy hell is it hard. When I joined, we were on Advanced. After dying 6 or so times, we dropped it down to Normal. Still couldn't make it on the first go. Lots of death there. I threw out the comment as a joke that they balanced the game using people who play L4D1 for several hours a day, but after all that I'm not sure if it's really a joke. Sadistic difficulty level at times. Still, having a group of thumbs to weather it with made it great, so cheers.

I just played a great Versus game on Dark Carnival. My team regularly got at least 75% of the way, and we managed to murder the other team before they got past 25% each time. It looks like people are still trying to use L4D1 strategies; one map we managed to keep the other team from moving forward for around five minutes because they backed into a dead-end room to defend themselves and ended up being trapped by constant Spitter and Boomer attacks.

Do you get the Authoring tools with L4D2? I'd like to get into mapping but I don't have the original L4D.

You should, but they haven't been released yet. I think they were supposed to be available on the same day as the game, but it's Valve, so there have been some delays.

I think the game is a lot harder now, because most of the maps are a lot more open then they were in the first game. They come at you from almost every side.

By the way, I know that Left 4 Dead 1 did this too, but why is it a trend in games nowadays to have super slow bullets? :blink:

I think the game is a lot harder now, because most of the maps are a lot more open then they were in the first game. They come at you from almost every side.

By the way, I know that Left 4 Dead 1 did this too, but why is it a trend in games nowadays to have super slow bullets? :blink:

I am also finding l4d2 much harder than the original, and I was definitely not a pro at the original (I often become incapacitated on advanced).

Did anyone in the EU pre-order a retail copy of this? Just got a notice from the retailer I pre-ordered it that the game is delayed for whole EU, PC and console, til the 23rd. Supposedly they got this from EA.

If this is true, I will never, ever pre-order anything again. Preordered MW2 - canceled because of all the shit they didn't do. Preordered L4D2 - delayed. Fuck it, I'll buy them when they are released from now on.

I know that Left 4 Thumbs is a PC-based institution, but are any Thumbers going to get this on console? I don't have a good enough PC set up, and I know hardly any people who would get it on 360. This is the reason I missed out on the first game last year, dammit.

I might. I'm in the same boat you are (can't play on PC). I just don't know if I'll have the money--it's not a top priority on my games wishlist. I still don't have Forza 3 or Uncharted 2.

I need somebody to play an expert campaign with. I tried it last night with some of the general public, didn't go so well. I'll be playing again tonight around 4-5 PM EST (9-10 GMT).

The bots are no help obviously, so I need somebody who has played on expert before. I have decided not to touch realism mode, until I get through on expert first.

I might. I'm in the same boat you are (can't play on PC). I just don't know if I'll have the money--it's not a top priority on my games wishlist. I still don't have Forza 3 or Uncharted 2.

I'll likely pick it up on Xbox also, I have friends who hate PC games, who I often play with, won't be until december earliest though.