Sign in to follow this  
toblix

ファイナルファンタジーXIII

"Final Fantasy completely reinvents itself with each new installment."

How can that sentence exist?

I love listening to Japanese and trying to guess which words from the subtitles will be direct loans from English when spoken aloud. "Batturu system."

The guy in that video is a true professional. He's not embarrassed he's presenting a video game. No, he's doing us a favour and expects adoration.

Just to be sure on this: this trailer is immensely appealing for Final Fantasy lovers, right? Because all I saw was BLA BLA BLA, crappy footage of the Nth random battle-streaked JRPG with boring turnbased battles, BLA BLA BLA. Equal parts vision, artistry, skill my ass. Unparallelled storytelling MY ASS.

Clearly, Final Fantasy still hasn't won me over. I'd love for it to succeed, but there's so much to hate!

:getmecoat

I think at this point, all Final Fantasy fans find the story in each game to be amazing, no matter how terrible it may be. That's the only reason I can think of that explains why someone may like Final Fantasy 8.

I closed the video as soon as I heard that. Ridiculous.

I think at this point, all Final Fantasy fans find the story in each game to be amazing, no matter how terrible it may be. That's the only reason I can think of that explains why someone may like Final Fantasy 8.

I adore the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole, but i'm not really fond of FF8.

I think there are some stories in FF that are genuinely good.

Could you elaborate?

Why not FF8?

There was something about the presentation of the story that didn't sit well with me. It also had some game mechanism annoyances like the way that you had to obtain magic.

Bah, haters. I LOVE the Final Fantasy series.

That video is embarrassingly bad, however.

"Completely reinvents itself"??? Ok, I do love the series, but even I can't pretend it comes close to anything like that. Hell, I wouldn't WANT it to, but *yeesh*, you can't even suggest that.

I think at this point, all Final Fantasy fans find the story in each game to be amazing, no matter how terrible it may be.

Pardonez moi?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I didn't mean to give the impression I hate Final Fantasy. I haven't been a console player until now, so the FFs I've played myself were FF6 and FF5 on an emulator, and we used to play FF7 at my cousin's place a lot. And I liked them! I've kept my eye on the games, though, and it's pretty clear they just do the same thing over and over again. Maybe there's a process of slow iterational change, but not "complete reinvention"... EVERY TIME.

And now I look like a dumbass :P

I am really looking forward to this one so glad they announced the release date. The only FF games I've played are III and IV for DS, but I'd like to try X and XII eventually (never had a PS2). Think the art is amazing in this game and obviously the graphics are too.

I didn't mean to give the impression I hate Final Fantasy. I haven't been a console player until now, so the FFs I've played myself were FF6 and FF5 on an emulator, and we used to play FF7 at my cousin's place a lot. And I liked them! I've kept my eye on the games, though, and it's pretty clear they just do the same thing over and over again. Maybe there's a process of slow iterational change, but not "complete reinvention"... EVERY TIME.

Yes, you're right. The idea of "complete reinvention" is stupid and couldn't be applied to ANY game series (otherwise what would tie them together?!). Does the GTA series "completely reinvent itself" every time? :-/

The only FF games I've played are III and IV for DS, but I'd like to try X and XII eventually (never had a PS2).

same here, except I have only ever played 3 and 7, 7 is overrated. I would much prefer a new Breath of Fire over another Final Fantasy, what with it being far cooler.

7 is overrated.

Well, nothing could match that hype. Even though it is situated high on my list of JRPG's that i have played.

3 is often considered to be the worst game in the main series.

I would much prefer a new Breath of Fire over another Final Fantasy, what with it being far cooler.

*Bahamut vaporizes inferior jrpg series*

Maybe there's a process of slow iterational change, but not "complete reinvention"... EVERY TIME.

Yeah there is a some interesting changes between iterations.

I own every Final Fantasy game except 9 an 11. I have completed none of them. I always really enjoy them for a while and then lose interest around hour 20. They just become such a slog as you go through them. I'm probably going to ignore 13 until it hits the Greatest Hits line and I can get it for cheap. I can understand and relate to liking Final Fantasy, but the hyperbole that gets layered onto the series continues to baffle me.

Fair enough. I just never had the opportunity to buy it. I've heard from a lot of people that it's great. I never had a PS1, so eventually I bought FF7 and 8 used from various places to give them a shot on my PS2 a few years back. Never came across a copy of 9, so I haven't played it.

I need to get Final Fantasy 9 because it sounds like I would enjoy it. Apparently it doesn't have all of the melodromatic bullshit and pretentiousness that I feel most of the other newer Final Fantasy games have. Unfortunately, it must not have done as well as the others because after 9 they went back to doing that stuff again. For some reason, I can't get into JRPGs when they try to go for a more serious tone because I feel like it's done so poorly most of the time. The last JRPG that I really enjoyed was Dragon Quest 8, probably because the tone of the game was just more fun and it felt like an old school rpg without it actually feeling dated.

Yeah, I really dug Dragon Quest 4 on DS. Highly recommended. It's bloody awesome, and has some really funny moments.

I loves me some Final Fantasy as well.

I loved 6, I liked 4 and 9 quite a bit and I really enjoyed X. A lot.

I wasn't a huge fan of 8. I thought it was a bit boring. I can't actually remember at all whether I finished it. Also, while it may totally undercut my legitimacy, I wasn't that into VII :eek: (I'm aware of the potential sacrilege and whatnot, but sometimes Cloud's emotional problems got to be a bit much for me. :getmecoat).

I also had a tough time getting into 12. I liked it at first, but I hit a wall where I got kinda burned out on it and have yet to go back to it... it's been a couple years now, I think... uh oh.. ;(

Apparently it doesn't have all of the melodromatic bullshit and pretentiousness that I feel most of the other newer Final Fantasy games have. Unfortunately, it must not have done as well as the others because after 9 they went back to doing that stuff again. For some reason, I can't get into JRPGs when they try to go for a more serious tone because I feel like it's done so poorly most of the time.

Thank you for phrasing this much more concisely than I would have been able to. :clap: I feel like they go a little overboard on the flapping cape, slow-motion, super-drama pretty frequently. It becomes very silly, very quickly...

edit: oops.. I mixed up 4 and 5.. heh.

Edited by Fuzzy Lobster

I wasn't a huge fan of 8. I thought it was a bit boring. I can't actually remember at all whether I finished it. Also, while it may totally undercut my legitimacy, I wasn't that into VII :eek: (I'm aware of the potential sacrilege and whatnot, but sometimes Cloud's emotional problems got to be a bit much for me. :getmecoat).

Hey, we're all about sacrilege here. I only ever got about 25 hours into VII, and found the story to be the least exciting thing about it. Some of the scenarios were cool, but the overarching plot I couldn't give a shit less about.

I've played a bit of all of them except 10-2 and 11 but I don't know that you could call me a fan given how few of them I've finished (2NA/4, 7, & 8). They're all very slick and polished examples of jrpg for-their-time, but presentation-wise they really tend not to hold up.

The stories aren't anything to write home about either, except maybe in comparison with other jrpgs.

As a kid growing up and not having a lot of money to spend on vidgames, they were great because you knew they'd take a long time to beat, but nowadays with an actual job (less free time, but sufficient money to just pick up the next shiny game to come along), I don't really want my games (even rpgs/jrpgs) padded out with much grinding. A little is okay, but jrpgs in general tend to go overboard on it for my taste.

I loves me some Final Fantasy as well.

I loved 6, I liked 5 and 9 quite a bit and I really enjoyed X. A lot.

I also had a tough time getting into 12. I liked it at first, but I hit a wall where I got kinda burned out on it and have yet to go back to it...

I', surprised that 4 is not on this list. I did not play 4 until the advanced version was released , but i think it's the best among the ones that originated in the SNES era. *puts up anti FF6 fanboy flameshield*

I haven't finished FF12 either. I have a save that is like 80 hours in.

FF12 is a good game, but i just did not manage to get into the story. I will try to get into it when i go back to that save.

One problem is the combat. The new combat system just lacks a feeling of impact, summons feel nerfed, i know i can do good damage, but it seems less than during the turn based ones.

The reason why i have put 80 hours into it is the hunts. I have done every hunt i have come across, and i pushed myself in order to defeat some of them. A few have been some of the most enjoyable fights in my videgaming experience. This did cause a problem though. Since when i went back to the main progression i was over leveled by a lot. The zone was 35ish, and my level was was around 47 i think. Still, i was not able to zoom trough the mobs.....

*puts up anti FF6 fanboy flameshield*

Jeez, you new people are so defensive. Put that flameshield away. You don't need it here. If you ever do, that's my cue to leave.

You don't need it here.

I am aware of that. It's just put there to point out what the common response might be in a more general forum space.