miffy495

New Super Mario Bros Wii

It's out tomorrow, so I figured it was time for a thread. I'm super pumped about this one. Have a pre-order from Amazon, but didn't spring for the fancy shipping, so it may be a week or so before I actually get to play. Just watched the ~40 minute Giantbomb quick look, and am even more psyched than before. Anyone, thoughts on this game?

...PENGUIN SUIT!

It's pretty much gonna rock. I don't know how much fun the multiplayer will be (only got a small taste on the Gamescom in Cologne), but it'll definitely be cool. I especially like that it's supposedly a pretty difficult game, really hardcore. Nintendo felt justified to do that because of the ingame help-feature that'll get the casuals to get there too. All the more fun for everybody, then!

I feel like I should be SUPER excited about this, but I fear I'm not going to have anyone to play it with...

Maybe it has solo chops too? Seems like a waste if I'm just going to solo it, there are so few amazing co-op experiences... Even in this little co-op renaissance the industry seems to be having, most of the really solid multiplayer still seems to be versus-based, (or cooperate with others to beat up on another co-op team, etc.)

New 2D Mario game = exciting.

Watching Giant Bombs multiplayer quick look and various videos of

= mind explode. I'm sure I'm not alone in always wanting to be able to have "2 player" in a Super Mario game mean that both Mario and Luigi could run through the levels together, and it looks like they've taken that to the most extreme extreme possible. The stuff in the latter half of the Giant Bomb video is pretty amazing.

This re-awakens my wish for Nintendo to have a real online play system. Being able to get friends into a lobby and then jump into a SMB game together would be so good. Alternatively, I wish I had more friends. ;(

I'm super pumped too. I was a little disappointed with NSMB DS, but everything I've seen about this one looks very promising (Koopalings!). I am hoping that they tightened up the controls a bit, though; the DS one always felt a little too slow and slippery to me.

I'm looking forward to playing the multiplayer with my wife... we had a ton of fun with Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, and this looks to have a similar sort of blend of cooperation and competition. Plus, there's a penguin suit.

Amazon's predicting my copy will arrive on Wednesday; now I kind of wish I'd just bitten the bullet and pre-ordered from the nearest Gamestop. ;(

Going to watch that Giant Bomb thing now.

The Giant Bomb guys seemed to find the controls ... "different" than classic Mario controls, which might mean they have some of the DS wobbliness, which I guess would be too bad. The koopa shells move in DS-style slow motion, I noticed (and they commented on), which is too bad, but there's so much other great stuff going on in that video that I can deal.

The "World [coin]-1" and "World [coin]-2" levels in the multiplayer coin challenge were both great. I love it when Nintendo takes their iconic stuff (eg the level layouts to Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros world 1-1) and plays with them.

New 2D Mario game = exciting.

Watching Giant Bombs multiplayer quick look and various videos of

= mind explode. I'm sure I'm not alone in always wanting to be able to have "2 player" in a Super Mario game mean that both Mario and Luigi could run through the levels together, and it looks like they've taken that to the most extreme extreme possible. The stuff in the latter half of the Giant Bomb video is pretty amazing.

This re-awakens my wish for Nintendo to have a real online play system. Being able to get friends into a lobby and then jump into a SMB game together would be so good. Alternatively, I wish I had more friends. ;(

Same story as me. This looks like the most fun I have ever seen. The visceral thrill me and a buddy used to have in NSMB multiplayer is still unparalleled to this day. Well, maybe running around spamming TIME TO DIE on Diablo 2, but that's a different story

I want this, but only if it comes with 3 friends to play with.

Or 1 :blink:

Lack of online kind of sucks, but I am still going to pick this one up (eventually). I played a level or so of it at e3 and it was pretty crazy with 4 people, and I'd say the co-op is the main reason i'm interested. I am also glad that different places have been saying the game is actually hard.

I just don't get Nintendo's justification for lack of online play. They say that this is the kind of game where it's more fun to be all in the same room playing and laughing and whatever, but why not include both features? Generally with games like SSBB, Rock Band, and other "party" multiplayer games, I play with my friends in the same room, but I'll play with people I know on the Internet online (obviously). Oh well.

Not out until the 20th for us in Europe, and I'm not sure if I can spare the cash, but my word, I had so much fun playing this. I was at an all-purpose Nintendo Winter preview event, and the assembled cynical journos were making excuses in order to play more NSMB Wii. It's truly joyous. I just need some pals...

Watching the video review on Gametrailers made me remember how much I loved Super Mario World, but didn't make me that interested in this game. Now that I watched the Giant Bomb video, I think I actually have to get this one. The co-opish gameplay looked like great fun and I could probably play that with, at least, my sister. She liked LittleBigPlanet multiplayer but wished the controls were more like those in Super Mario World.

There might also be something weird going on in my brain, as the first thing that came to my mind when I considered buying this game was that if I won't let my Wii gather dust for all eternity, Nintendo has won somehow, and I can't let that happen. The last Wii game I bought was Super Mario Galaxy when it was released.

NSMB Wii is looking pretty sweet, today morning I watched the Gametrailers review and my excitement jumped even higher.

Europe has to wait till next week's Friday and I even one week longer because I'm buying it online and it takes those darn 5-7 days to arrive from UK to Finland...

New real Mario game is always a treat, especially when it's in 2D form.

I noticed my Wii library of games has gotten quite big recently, way too big actually. Don't even have time for all of them, so I guess I'm back to my roots to buying more games than I can play... ;(

Honestly, I don't really care too much that it doesn't have online play because I can't stand how they implemented it on their console. I really wish they had a system like X-Box Live instead of being scared that pedophiles are going to talk to kids or whatever.

The option would be nice, but it probably is something that's much more fun to play with other people in person.

I'm just glad that there's another Wii game that's out that I really want.

Honestly, I don't really care too much that it doesn't have online play because I can't stand how they implemented it on their console. I really wish they had a system like X-Box Live instead of being scared that pedophiles are going to talk to kids or whatever.

The option would be nice, but it probably is something that's much more fun to play with other people in person.

I'm just glad that there's another Wii game that's out that I really want.

Yeah, a system similar to live should be a given this generation. Hopefully it will make it next gen.

NSMB on the DS had on of the funnest multiplayer I've ever experienced. It was weird, because it wasn't a hugely publicized aspect of the game at all, and I had real trouble finding people to play with. In fact, even die-hard Mario fans among my friends wouldn't play, didn't like it. What gives?

I mean, it was AMAZING FUN to bounce around a looping level jumping on Mario's head, never stopping, shelling is ass!

This is one of two games I'm getting for Christmas...I always pick two or so games that I really really want that I'll be sure to look forward to in an insane way (last year it was Fallout 3)...it gives me something to really look forward to on Dec 25. The other game is Dragon Age.

Now that I think about it, I haven't bought any Wii games this year. This will be the first one, whenever I decide to pick it up. Might wait till Christmas as well, not sure.

The visual design of this game is stabbing my eyes every time I play it, but the fun of actually beating my way through a 2D Mario game is winning out.

If this game had the solid visual cohesion of Mario 3, World, or Yoshi's Island it would be the best ever. Instead it's a pretty good Mario platformer with the aesthetics I'd expect to ese in a freemium casual web MMO which runs entirely in banner ads across the web, or something.

Also the midi "AAH, AAAAH!" choir samples are just as lame and ill-fitting as they were in the DS version.

The game's great though. I just died a few times on the World 2 minifortress and stopped playing for a while. Looking forward to getting some 2-4 player in.

The visual design of this game is stabbing my eyes every time I play it, but the fun of actually beating my way through a 2D Mario game is winning out.

I don't know if this is at all part of what you don't like about it, but personally I really can't get into the bubbly 3D character design. I'm not sure exactly why it bugs me, I think I just like the Mario peoples a lot better when they look more 2Dish or at least aren't super exaggerated..

I loved the way Yoshi's island looked, in general, and I like the way the characters look in paper Mario a lot as well. From what I've seen of it, I'm sort of a fan of the character design in Bowser's inside story too, although I haven't played it.

If this game had the solid visual cohesion of Mario 3, World, or Yoshi's Island it would be the best ever. Instead it's a pretty good Mario platformer with the aesthetics I'd expect to ese in a freemium casual web MMO which runs entirely in banner ads across the web, or something.

Also the midi "AAH, AAAAH!" choir samples are just as lame and ill-fitting as they were in the DS version.

I expected the terrible visuals, but I play most DS games muted so how terrible the music is came as a complete surprise.

This plays so good, yet looks and sounds so terrible it seems that it has to have been made by a super intelligent game design computer with no ability to process or even receive audio/visual input.

The game's great though. I just died a few times on the World 2 minifortress and stopped playing for a while. Looking forward to getting some 2-4 player in.

OMG! Jake is playing hella games! I love you even more than I already did, Jake. In a gay way, of course.

I am kinda sad that they don't have Wii Classic Controller or Gamecube controller support in this. I really would love a way to use an SNES, Super Famicom, or NES controller with this thing (I have NES & SNES -> GC adapters, a Super Famicom Classic Controller that plugs into my Wii-Remote, and I ordered an adapter that allows me to plug my NES or SNES or SFC controllers into a Wii Remotes nunchuck port as well). It seems like an SNES controller would be ideal to play this with.

Then again I'm a big crazy about my controllers...after all, I'm the guy that posted this pic:

4002025411_2ff981600d.jpg

AND I just got my hands on a supposedly new in box Genesis 3 button controller...but unfortunately it doesn't look un-used...so I may use the guts from it and the shell from a cheap knock-off to make an acceptable Genesis controller that doesn't freak me out (as used controller do) when I touch it to play VC Genesis games with (for 6 button games I generally use a Saturn PS2 pad with an adapter). I don't have a pic of the genesis controller because I'm too lazy to drag out my camera tonight.

Jesus christ, that bloody 'choir' effect again? I don't know what it's meant to be or why the development team thinks it works well, but it is seriously the lamest audio cue I've heard in years — just like it was when I heard it in the DS version.

The game doesn't look as terrible to me as it does to Jake, actually artistically it seems to fit really well into the Mario Bros line of games. It's definitely not got anywhere near the charm of the Mario World line though, which I always preferred.