Sign in to follow this  
thl

Best of the Platform: Xbox 360

For Halo 3 vs. ODST, I enjoyed ODST's campaign more. Plus ODST comes with all of Halo 3's multiplayer, so unless you really want to play H3's campaign, I would say ODST is the way to go.

Gdf just fucking nailed it. Get that list. If your friend is into rhythm games at all, you also have no excuse if they do not purchase Rock Band 2. Steer them away from the Guitar Hero franchise, and into the light of Harmonix.

EDIT: Also, I'll second twmac's recommendation of Earth Defense Force 2017. Not the greatest game ever, by any means. Hell, not even that good by most means. In terms of an explosion of pure fun and 1950's b-movie joy however, it's amazing. Waiting to hear whether or not an alien race called "The Ravagers" is peaceful is one of the most humourous moments I've experienced in gaming, and it's right there in the first mission. It only gets more awesome.

Oh yeah, forgot about Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

That one's totally awesome if you like legos.

EDIT: Also, I'll second twmac's recommendation of Earth Defense Force 2017. The greatest game ever. In terms of an explosion of pure fun and 1950's b-movie joy... it's amazing.

Sorry, saw some mistakes in there and adjusted accordingly. :grin: I think the onyl game that even comes close in terms of the number of hours I've spent playing a game is Oblivion and I didn't even enjoy that game halfway as much as Earth Defense Force 2017. Oh, how I wish they would make a sequel.

On another note Wrestle is back! Hope the missus is okay.

Sorry, saw some mistakes in there and adjusted accordingly. :grin: I think the onyl game that even comes close in terms of the number of hours I've spent playing a game is Oblivion and I didn't even enjoy that game halfway as much as Earth Defense Force 2017. Oh, how I wish they would make a sequel.

It is a sequel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Defence_Force the better version, or so I have been told.

Thanks everybody! A few things:

-so I have a few votes for Halo ODST. Is that better than Halo 3 in halo fans' eyes?

-mikemariano: I played Bioshock on PC. I heard (I think on one of the idle casts) that the plumbing minigame is basically impossible in later levels on consoles. I can definitely see that since it seems designed with the mouse in mind. I also feel that game is a tad overrated but the multiple inclusion in this thread has convinced me to pass it on to my buddy.

-is Far Cry 2 good on console? Again, I have it for the PC so I'm not sure how the xbox version plays.

Thanks again for all your inputZ!

- Yeah, overall it is a better experience, if he likes it he should get the other 3 (main series) halo games.

- The minigame is easy enough on consoles.

-Yes FC2 plays pretty well on consoles, not quite as well as Halo or CoD but really well.

On another note Wrestle is back! Hope the missus is okay.

Ha! Thanks, twmac - she's all better now and feeling great. :yep:

Good to hear! So when are you joining Grand Thumb Auto again?

I made a game a couple of weeks ago, but I was busy again this week. Should be playing this Tuesday again though! But back to the topic...

I've also got EDF 2017 and find it lots of fun as well, but with one very particular condition on my part: you must play it with a friend in split screen. It's several orders of magnitude more fun played that way in my opinion and an absolute crime that the 360 version has no Xbox LIVE integration whatsoever.

And while we're on the subject of good co-op games for Xbox 360, playing through Halo 3 with toblix, miffy495 and n0wak has been incredibly fun on the few occasions we've done it. (Actually I really want to start that again, now I'm back and playing regularly again.)

Getting away from shooters, I'll add a further vote for Forza Motorsport 3 and Burnout Paradise - both lots of fun but in completely contrasting ways.

Wrestle I would :thumbs up: but it is gone.

I agree co-op is the way forward.

As for the predecessors Patters, I am aware of them. In terms of breadth they are more interesting than the X360 version but the X360 version, once played, makes it impossible to go back to the earlier versions as it is the only one verging on a playable framerate.

In fact, it amazes me what I once found tolerable in Global defence force.

The Orange Box, Fallout 3, Halo 3 (or ODST), and Call of Duty are fantastic games well worth picking up and playing for many, many hours. Resident Evil 5 is well-polished and I found split-screen co-op to be fun. I might throw in Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 2, and Forza, as well.

And while we're on the subject of good co-op games for Xbox 360, playing through Halo 3 with toblix, miffy495 and n0wak has been incredibly fun on the few occasions we've done it. (Actually I really want to start that again, now I'm back and playing regularly again.)

Deal, though finding an open time slot to play in can be difficult for me sometimes, (hell, often) Christmas break is only 4 weeks away at this point. Plenty of time to blast through a full campaign then.