Jake

Idle Thumbs 50: "Farewell, Video Games" or "The Shitty Wizard"

Oh man, I just finished listening to episode 50. I laughed so much, no tears!

Not as depressed as I thought I would be about it, even though after listening to all 50 episodes in 3 weeks I feel like Nick, Chris and video games are friends. Yet they have no idea who I am, sort of strange to think of it in those terms.

Listening to every episode in such a short space of time was definitely the right choice, while at least half of those countless hours were hilarious crap, there really were nuggets of englightenment in there that matured my tastes and helped me to figure out how I can break down the specific design choices in a game.

Thanks for the 70 or so hours of awesome, Congrats Nick and congratulations Nick!

Hope the Steve Gaynor experience starring Chris and video games is out soon.

Haha, so true. Everyone wants to be a writer. The other interns at my company all want to have jobs like that. And the assistants. That's actually really helpful, because in LA there's a great sense of wanting to help each other. After all, if the people you know succeed, you have a better chance piggybacking on them. I was expecting the opposite, but there you have it!

Just be prepared for them to suddenly turn their backs when they become successful...

I'll take the time right now to thank you guys for giving me 60+ hours of free entertainment.

Though, how can you quit JUST as I started playing Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)? I really don't need to listen to waves splashing and birds chirping to enjoy this game.

Peace.

I have no idea why, but Anno 1404 goes amazingly well with the Gamers With Jobs conference call.

i came to the thumbs party late but i had to make it known that i just can't stop listening to the jeff gone gold game meltdown at the end of the final cast.

today's favourite is 'jeff's golden area'.

the jeff gone gold game meltdown at the end of the final cast

About as fitting an end as we could hope for.

Dear Idle Thumbs,

Any plans to update GOTY.cx for 2009? I know it would probably be more likely if you guys were still castin' pods but what about now? I think its probably the best domain name ever and 2009 saw a lot of great games worthy of the site. The most recent blog post on the main page made me think about the GOTY site again, I would love to submit my favorite games and see what the other 'readers' enjoyed this year and why.

Especially retired thumbs, I miss the time when you were casting pods in my face. I started to listen again from the start, since I wasn't there at the beginning of time. I am around episode ten and they really start to pick up. Did you know you can reverse time in Braid?

Hope you can get together with hot scoops and do another one soon.