Jake

Idle Thumbs 50: "Farewell, Video Games" or "The Shitty Wizard"

Yeah, I haven't tried QWOP in months, but that's because whenever I do it makes me feel worthless.

Where is the picture of Jakes PS3 covered in socks?

I read that as "Where is the picture of Jake covered in socks?" ;(

I read that as "Where is the picture of Jake covered in socks?" ;(

I read it that way as well .... :eek:

Also, like everyone else has already said a million times, that episode banner art is really excellent. Did KJ make that one also? If so, Mr. Cosmo-Mitt really is unreasonably fabulous.

EDIT: I am a shining example of athleticism with my maximum of 2.5m on that wretched QWOP game..... Thanks for drawing it to our attention.... :deranged:

Edited by Fuzzy Lobster

I took my sweet time listening to this, milking every minute. I just finished. It was awesome.

I'm going to have to train myself not to expect a pod cast in my face every week... they said new episodes would be rare, but I know I'll still refresh iTunes in desperation every Wednesday.

I read it that way as well .... :eek:

Also, like everyone else has already said a million times, that episode banner art is really excellent. Did KJ make that one also? If so, Mr. Cosmo-Mitt really is unreasonably fabulous.

EDIT: I am a shining example of athleticism with my maximum of 2.5m on that wretched QWOP game..... Thanks for drawing it to our attention.... :deranged:

Nick said on his twitter that we have Jake to thank for it.

I took my sweet time listening to this, milking every minute. I just finished. It was awesome.

I'm going to have to train myself not to expect a pod cast in my face every week... they said new episodes would be rare, but I know I'll still refresh iTunes in desperation every Wednesday.

I listened to it at 25% speed in order to really savor it.

I listened to it at 25% speed in order to really savor it.

That's better than my idea; I paused the cast and took five minute breaks every other minute.

Yeah, I haven't tried QWOP in months, but that's because whenever I do it makes me feel worthless.

I really hate those guys right now. I've never felt more stupid than now. I can't handle 4 buttons. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!

Whenever I think I've worked out a rhythm my brain self-sabotages any attempt to reproduce that. I had self-inflicted clumsiness, I think. And then when I do finally manage to maintain it for a bit, it turns out the rhythm was bullshit.

Still, it's a great subversion of all the empowerment we've come to expect from games. There's something hilarious about finding the very act of remaining upright so nerve-racking and difficult (see also: Minotaur China Shop and drunkenness in GTA 4).

Still, it's a great subversion of all the empowerment we've come to expect from games. There's something hilarious about finding the very act of remaining upright so nerve-racking and difficult (see also: Minotaur China Shop and drunkenness in GTA 4).

Not only that, but it's sort of a fundamental gameplay factor, as far as I'm concerned. Control is in the essence of video games, so taking it away from the player can really be totally jarring. It's a core tenet of the survival horror genre, which goes back and forth between whether or not the user should have control in order to inspire fear (a la the idea that the pitiful control scheme of Resident Evil 5 is actually a tactic to support the horror aspects of the series).

I'm of the opinion they should just make a whole new series like Resident Evil 5 but not give it the Resident Evil branding. Then just go all out with the action element... (label it Action Horror?) That game was pretty fun if you've got company over.

Actually, Action Horror should be a thing if it isnt.. or Survival Action (L4D?).

Whoa sorry for the derailing...

But yeah, I had a mental breakthrough this morning with QWOP, my fingers finally started to understand which part they moved... Then I only got 2.5 meters.. But the legs were moving in a human-like fashion!

Edit: Also, I love my desktop http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Rawru/deskthumbs.png

Thanks again Jake for putting Wizards in Africa.

Edited by Rawru

Man, so glad to hear about the Good News, I don't know what I would do with out my regular dose of Thumbage. I mean, how many other people can make me crack up in the middle of the street, by just saying a bunch of one-syllable words strung together in a random order?

Oh, and since I haven't said it yet, Congratulations, Fucknick. =D

I'm of the opinion they should just make a whole new series like Resident Evil 5 but not give it the Resident Evil branding. Then just go all out with the action element... (label it Action Horror?) That game was pretty fun if you've got company over.

So they should go the Modern Warfare route. FIVE 2.

Ugh, neither... I didnt end up finishing that costume in time. It probably would have been the wire cutter though, cus the craft store's knives were too short to cut through the piece of foam I had... (I was making a Proton Pack out of Polystyrene foam...:erm:)

I did make a Prawn claw in time for my mother's costume though. Woo.

(http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Rawru/claw.jpg)

So they should go the Modern Warfare route. FIVE 2.

Dont forget Final Fantasy X-2 :D

windows 7 looks great.

Am I the only one horrified by really busy desktops? I love Windows 7's minimalist setup, but Rawru's setup is a little... messy. :blink:

It's actually much cleaner than it was... I have a really odd chaotic specific-to-my-brain way of organizing things? Which basically means icons everywhere.

I cant ever seem to just use the one spot (taskbar) that you should put things, so all of my folders for stuff are up in the Rocketdock (the mac icon bar thing) and frequently launched games and applications on the shiney Win7 taskbar.

7 is basically Vista, but with a couple things shuffled into a more sensical order, slightly more tuned aesthetics...

From what I could tell, 90% of people hated Vista because everyone else did, and now that same 90% loves Win7 because most of the 10% decided their legitimate issues were dealt with adequately enough and spread the news.. :hmph: /grumpy conspiracy theorist..

Well.. other than its just... nice. :3

It's very easy to get used to and work with, honestly.

Nick said on his twitter that we have Jake to thank for it.
It was very classy, I approve.

:tupmotherfuckers:

It's actually much cleaner than it was... I have a really odd chaotic specific-to-my-brain way of organizing things? Which basically means icons everywhere.

I cant ever seem to just use the one spot (taskbar) that you should put things, so all of my folders for stuff are up in the Rocketdock (the mac icon bar thing) and frequently launched games and applications on the shiney Win7 taskbar.

7 is basically Vista, but with a couple things shuffled into a more sensical order, slightly more tuned aesthetics...

From what I could tell, 90% of people hated Vista because everyone else did, and now that same 90% loves Win7 because most of the 10% decided their legitimate issues were dealt with adequately enough and spread the news.. :hmph: /grumpy conspiracy theorist..

Well.. other than its just... nice. :3

It's very easy to get used to and work with, honestly.

I agree with your assessment of user opinion there. Very early on, Vista had some driver and compatibility issues, but it was a good operating system after that stuff was worked out. Windows 7 is not massively revolutionary, it's just cleaner and feels like the more "complete" version of Vista--which just means it's even better. There weren't tons of horrible awful things that needed fixing.

Where did you get all your little add-ons, by the way? I've never really looked into that stuff. Are they mainly third-party or Microsoft-offered?

They're 3rd party stuff I've had since xp.

http://rocketdock.com/ for the icon thing at the top (which I use less with 7 than I did in xp)

and the other is Rainmeter, you kind of have to shuffle around quite a bit to find skins you like (weee 3rd party...), but I find it sorta useful and pretty..

http://rainmeter.net/RainCMS/

Boatloads of skins for it: http://customize.org/rainmeter

The ones I use are 10 Foot HUD (for the time/date)

and part of this one: http://customize.org/rainmeter/skins/47014

I hope thats helpful :)

welp, that was fun. I think I'm the only person here who caught your sick burn on Cal football, Chris. It made me laugh and cry, just like Idle Thumbs Episode 50.

Enjoy your newfound free time.

Looking forward to your sporadic cast.

welp, that was fun. I think I'm the only person here who caught your sick burn on Cal football, Chris. It made me laugh and cry, just like Idle Thumbs Episode 50.

Enjoy your newfound free time.

Looking forward to your sporadic cast.

Haha, I'm glad someone connected those dots.

I figured it was a thing like that, but have never cared enough about football to know the specifics. Hell, all of Calgary just did a similar thing a month or so ago when the hockey season started.

"We won our first two games! It's a winning streak! We're incredible!"

Lost the third game

"Where'd our streak go?"

Stupid newspapers. Two games is not a streak.