Jake

Idle Thumbs 50: "Farewell, Video Games" or "The Shitty Wizard"

I cannot express how excellent the cast has been in its incredible run. I joined just to express my thanks, and to atleast somewhat keep up with the community in hopes to catch the odd random-cast.

Also, I am taking a business computers class in college, and when working with any program in the office suite I get a hearty chuckle from the many wizards. I dont care how hard Microsoft Access tries to replace you guys, but you will always be my Query Wizards.

Side note, one of my image verification words was McGovern. Is this a real word? Or have amazing gnomes infiltrated the internet?

I listened to the podcast at work today and I'm pretty sure everyone though I was nuts because I kept giggling at the Jeff Goldblum and shitty wizard parts. I'm glad that the podcast isn't completely going away.

This isn't the first time QWOP came up - it was initially discussed in episode XI: Extremes. I know, because I heard it on my way home from work today - after listening to 50 in the office - and now I have to beat QWOP.

Thanks, Nick. I thought my old record of 87 meters would be good enough for me.

Thanks for that feeling of terror the first time I got over the hurdle again today. Thanks for that rush of adrenaline I got when I saw 70 meters tonight. Thanks for the curses I spat at my laptop when I wiped out at 94.8 meters. I've gotta walk away from it now, center myself, and get back in the zone and finish this tonight.

If I don't, my new hobby will be bitching about Bethesda games.

Sweet cast, Thumbs, and thanks for all the awesome shows.

Damn, that Star Control II story was so true I had to register to talk about it (and, you know, for thumbin' ). I had no idea that that event would eventually happen, and when they started methodically exterminating the galaxy I freaked out. Dunno how they did it, but the feeling of fear at that point is just really amazing. Damn I love that game.

Haven't finished the doublecastblast yet, but there's already been enough wizards to satisfy me. Thanks for all the pods on my face thumbs!

Well just finished it up. the ending where you guys were bsing was fantastic. Thanks for letting us hang out with you guys for 50 ep :) (that's what it feels like just chillen with you guys. really gonna miss that)

This was the first podcast I listened to. You guys always shared interesting and usually hilarious thoughts.

I played PC games for the first time because of idlethumbs so that is pretty cool.

Good luck Nick, you future's so bright you better wear shades.

Look forward to the future sporadically delivered podcasts.

Fantastic finale to finish the regular cast with, going to miss it, but that cannot be helped now. (Plans to destroy Bethesda games within then next week).

Generic Lotr, bleh.

I agree. I mean, "Darkspawn", really? It's kind of like they took a prebuilt fantasy template and then forgot to fill in the details that make a world unique. It's a fun game though, so I don't really mind that much. It's not like many games have unique settings.

I can't believe my shitty thing about far cry 2 not having puffins/broken was the last reader e-mail.

The thumbs' response made it worthwhile though.

Edited by TimeDoctor

Episode was amazing guys. I am currently playing Dragon Age so glad you spent some time with that one. And very glad to hear about the future casts, though I will miss Nick (fuck you Nick (sorry I hadn't said it yet)). To include Nick in the future episodes, maybe you could just play a sound clip of him saying "It's pretty good" when you discuss a game.

Also, I love that episode art. I set it as my computer wallpaper.

I haven't listened to this cast yet, but I'm glad to hear that it'll be continuing in some way. My hopes were high with Nick's mysterious tweet from the other day, and it's good to have it confirmed. Idle Thumbs was a fairly recent addition to my podcasting catalog, but it quickly became my favorite. I hope Nick the best of luck at Bethesda - probably one of my favorite developers - and the rest of the Thumbs to keep on truckin. (Insert meme about wizards or scoops here.)

Going to miss this podcast more than I'm comfortable admitting :-(

Looking forward to the 1st episode of the idle thumbs sporadicast. I'm assuming it won't happen for at least few weeks, but when it does, will it go out via the old rss?

Edited by spindrift
spelling, durr

The Game Gonegold insanity had me in tears of laughter, which is probably an acceptable substitute for tears of sorrow. And the news of the future was surprising and delightful. It surprised me and I was delighted.

You guys are the best. Hooray for you.

Edited by JamesM

And the news of the future was surprising and delightful. It surprised me and I was delighted.
It will surprise you, with a depth that might please you.

Oh no! Did the Torchlight patch make the shitty wizard even shittier and ruin Chris's emergent meta gameplay (cough)?

edit: \/\/ DPP I played it for half an hour and got to 3.5 meters. At first I was laughing, then I experienced a rush of euphoria as I managed to make the guy take a second "step" and then shortly afterwards I shouted FUCK QWOP.

edit2: I looked on the Runic message board and Travis is already working on a fix to make the enchanting freaks happier, it looks like there was a massive increase in risk of enchanting (80%) and the reward drastically reduced. He said he would try out a build with people in the thread today! That's so cool.

Edited by SoulChicken

Damn you Thumbs, I just wasted more time than I'd like to admit playing QWOP... my best was 48.8m and I don't see myself doing better than that

QWOP is amazing in how horrible it makes me feel. I feel simultaneously clumsy and cruel.

Also, I'm gonna miss those Thumbs. Good luck, Nick, really.

After listening to this podcast I decided to try the enchanting in Torchlight, I also want awesome armor and weapons like Remo.

Seriously... htf did you do it. I ruined pretty much most of my good stuff. The first 4 items I put in there where cleared either the first or the second time I tried to enchant stuff. After that I tried it with a "clean" piece of armor, after 5 times it got cleared (and 2 times it failed to do anything).

Did I forget to do some special dance?

The end of the episode makes me want to hear even more outakes/the unaired episode all edited together as a blast-cast. Half an hour just wasn't enough. Usual high quality episode, going out on top. Though my wallet is not happy, as it's going to get a lot emptier with you making me want Dragon Age (and even swayed me on Far Cry 2). I may just have to take a Jake-esque stance on games from here on out.

The news of sporadicasts was the best news of the week. And as a PC gamer, this hasn't been the best week in terms of news.

Awesome cast and awesome news. Also, I think maybe I didn't wish Nick good luck at his new job back when they broke the news, but good luck at your new job! The future-casts and hilarious Jeff Goldblum permutations were awesome. Also, the very first dropped intro recordings were cool and bitter-sweet. Also, it's awesome that everyone complaining actually led to a sporadicast. If I'd known I'd complain some more.

20091108-esjb72x6md9ghbsghbhjj1541h.jpg

Now I don't have to troll the Bethesda boards!

Lazynet: Someone should incorporate this kind of constant-input locomotion into an action game - maybe you could alternate sliding and jumping while shooting people?

great podcast as always, i laughed especially hard about the shitty wizard & the dragon age english accents. thanks for all the laughs! ill be looking forward to the semi-updated future ones.

good luck to nick & yes his gamer card should be revoked for failing on DA:O ez mode

** holy crap QWOP is hard.