Jake

Idle Thumbs 50: "Farewell, Video Games" or "The Shitty Wizard"

Yes, Left 4 Dead 2 is on my 'Not Installed' list in steam, and I made no action to put it there. I thought nothing of it because there was some other demo there last week. Since I just started using steam I just thought that's what they always did in that spot. Anyway, it got me to download it but then it asked me to update my video card drivers. I couldn't wrap my brain around what would happen if I did that (I'm using crossover on a Mac) so I skipped that and continued to run the demo, but then it told me I had an incomplete install. :getmecoat

Oh, and yeah, I actually use Safari on my PC at work so I guess I'm immune to that 'install Safari' checkbox in my iTunes updates. That would annoy me though. Actually, that kind of stuff and all of those Mac/PC ads really annoy me about Apple. Otherwise, hey nice.

Just a note, while I'm listening and still remembering my point : I love the idea of constructing a narrative experience from a bunch of snack sized experiences (even 1 hour long ones) which constructs a setting with horizontal depth rather than from a vertical one. It's like Shortcuts or Groundhog Day; and it's not been done yet in game ... I think ?

Just a note, while I'm listening and still remembering my point : I love the idea of constructing a narrative experience from a bunch of snack sized experiences (even 1 hour long ones) which constructs a setting with horizontal depth rather than from a vertical one. It's like Shortcuts or Groundhog Day; and it's not been done yet in game ... I think ?

Steve Gaynor has been playing Way of the Samurai 3 and that series is very "Groundhog Day-ish" in that it's short with exponential permutations. Worth checking out anyway. Maybe he'll talk about it in a randomcast because he seemed to like it.

I started out as a Human warrior in Dragon Age this week and found it pretty dull, so I went back and started a Mage. It was such a different experience, I found all the conversations interesting and the little story of you taking your wizard exam was cool. Plus you get all these codexs from the library and for the first time ever in a game I read all of them. I think there is a fair bit of flavor and depth to this fantasy setting, there is just enough different stuff to keep me interested. So after the mage experience I've been playing through all the Origin stories and its really enjoyable. Kind of like lots of the Citadel stage in Mass Effect.

Edit: I just remembered to say that on Steam I've had a couple things appear in my games list that I didnt have, mostly things that were free weekends? But I'm pretty sure a couple were demos.. The last one was the Champions Online weekend thing? So I'm thinking its not just L4D2 demo, which I agree would have been weird.

I just got to this point in the p.cast and can also confirm the champions online thingy showing up in my games list... I guess if this becomes the default for demos / free weekends for games regardless of who developped them then it's ok. But if steam is charging a premium to content providers to slip their names in our lists then there's a more of a problem.

back to the cast!

Edit:

Canadian super-hero series 'My Secret Identity' featured a Professor Benjamin Jeffcoat.

Edit2:

"That's about all we had to say"

"yeah"

:eek:

Thanks for all the great podcasts, best of luck in the future and take good care... *single tear*

Edited by Floordje
editing?

Yeah Nicks Dragon Age impression mirrors my own.

Sum it up

Generic Lotr, bleh.

Background story really effects my interest level

Dialog is pretty cool and keeping me interested.

Edit: English fucking accents, yes! I was thinking the same damn thing when I met one of the warden recruits from redcliff and it was shitty english peasent accent #100.

Even if you want to put english people in your game, why not at least take some god damn time, start arranging your english voice actors into localized areas, so at least it makes some god damn sense like it does in real life that dude across the street has the same accent as the other one and a different english accent in a different town.

Edit 2: Holy shit this is over 2 hours long. THANKS THUMBS!

Edited by Murdoc

I thought today would be the day the wizard died. Thankfully, the wizard is just moving a couple states over and will still visit from time to time. I'm looking forward to hearing more of the remaining Thumbs' (and Scoops') thoughts on games whenever you guys feel like sharing them.

Also, I just realized that all the forum posts, tweets, and emails taken together are kind of an internet petition that sort of worked. My mind is blown!

Congratulations on casting your pod for over a year, guys! And best of luck to Nick at Bethesda!

Swizard.

I just finished listening. Thanks guys! And thanks for not making a last episode that devolved into a prolonged weep-fest. I was laughing so hard at the Gold Gone Game Gone Jeff JeffGone Gold Gone Jeff part i had to pause it several times. Love you guys, good luck Nick.

Regarding the good news: YES! Exactly what I was hoping it would be, woo.

On Dragon Age, is it just me, or is the Human Noble story 'A Song of Ice and Fire' with black changed to grey?

Regarding the good news: YES! Exactly what I was hoping it would be, woo.

On Dragon Age, is it just me, or is the Human Noble story 'A Song of Ice and Fire' with black changed to grey?

Yeah I was laughing how it was exactly the same. I did call my character Jaimie though.

!!!

...!!!

I keep freaking out every time I see it on the main page... So bizzare. Jake or someone said "that would make an awesome cross-stitch" in episode 47 I think, and I made it while listening to the subsequent couple of episodes, so I guess I stared at it long enough that it's some sort of pan-dimensional shock to see it in this context, like watching your grandma on YouTube or something...

Huzzah for long casts, and SO glad to be spoiled on the good news! Looking forward to it- I fear a world that doesn't have at least a little thumbs in it.

Now, to bask in the cast...

Hey there thumbs, great run of podcasts, they've been a blast to listen to. Good luck to Nick and looking forward to the sporadic thumbscasts!

Also looking forward to getting to know you all here on the forums. Here is a wizard I found at the market for you. He contains no anchovies.

4080514973_d643e77e01.jpg

Man, that cross-stitch is excellent.

Was wondering what was up when I left the house on Thursday morning without a podcast. Spent the night at a friend's, so I haven't had a chance to download and listen yet, but damn I'm excited for the opportunity. Spoiled the good news for myself as well. That's fantastic! Great to hear there will be more from you guys. The scoops may continue to flow!

Hey there thumbs, great run of podcasts, they've been a blast to listen to. Good luck to Nick and looking forward to the sporadic thumbscasts!

Also looking forward to getting to know you all here on the forums. Here is a wizard I found at the market for you. He contains no anchovies.

4080514973_d643e77e01.jpg

no anchovies? that's a shitty wizard.

So if Nick didn't take a job at Bethesda, every copy of Far Cry 2 would have been destroyed? Who knew they wielded such a terrible power?

I think you made the right choice Nick, thanks for taking one for us Far Cry 2 fans.

Something clicked in my head when Jake said that Chris was dead for 6 years. I don't know what, but made me feel extremely depresed(and I was laughing at the same time, like I do to every Idle thumbs).

P.S.: Can't wait for the ''Hot Video Wizard: the Scoops Game'' extravaganza(no Baboos).

P.P.S.:With all the best to Nick, I just remembered this:

The traitor has left,

don't worry

we gave him the check.

Edited by Sleepdance

ok here is some bizarre shit, for the past week i have been suffering from the flu, i havent slept much at all until last night when i had the most bizarre idle thumbs dream

i dreamt that the guys all lived in the apartment above me, and they were recording the final thumbs, i could hear them laughing and then at some point water started dripping through my living room ceiling. i knocked on the door and chris sent jake down to poke a hole in my ceiling to drain what he called "valve" juice. there was never any explenation on what it was but they said to come up and hang out while they finished the cast. chris, jake and nick were sitting around a table while a very buxom brunette (who was british) was pleasuring and being pleasured by an equally attractive blonde (not british). the 2 ladies kept saying wizarrrrddddd etc... and when the cast was over nick gave me a hdtv because a) he didnt want to move it and B) for ruining my ceiling with valve juice

so i woke up at 8 am after this monstrosity of a dream to find the final thumbcast was out, i sat at my desk sipping tea and laughing so hard my side hurt at the crazy jeff goldblum ending. oh yeah and they read my email

loved all your shows, looking forward to any special episodes you do with scoops, Nick best of luck at Bethesda, your gonna enjoy east coast living..you will be a day trip away from alot of cool places to visit

As someone already mentioned, you guys recently named your new podcast: Bargo Busters

There's really nothing we can come up with that would top that, give yourselves Torchlight and carry on.

PS: I prefer Idle Thumbs 2: The Return of Game

The new podcast name has to be "IGN Game Scoop"

IGN in homage of Chris

Game for "Video Games" Rodkin

and Scoop for "Hot Scoops" Gaynor

and instead of Wizaaaaaaaaaaard you have to say Scooooooooooop

Thumbs, you guys rocked on the final cast.

Playing QWOP now, I got him to take 2 steps like a normal human being and that made me very happy: what a great game to end the podcast on.

Downloading now. Will listen in a oner right now with a nice cup of tea or six to wash the tears away. I've made the banner my desktop background, it in the centre surrounded by black for mourning. A Torchlight in the darkness if you will.

Thank you so much for the last year of joy and hilarity. I will always love you all.