miffy495

If you're Nintendo's bitch...

...as I certainly am, you would likely have recently received your "platinum reward" from 2009. This is Nintendo-speak for "you bought a whole crapload of our stuff and registered it on our website, so we're sending you some goofy trinket." The choice of trinket was between a Mario hat and a WiiWare game that is a mini version of Punch Out!! which involves you sparring with Doc Louis. I got the Punch Out!! DLC, which is honestly what it is.

So after redeeming my download code, I started to play Punch Out!! for the first time since downloading the NES version off of the Virtual Console. I didn't play the Wii version, despite meaning to over and over. Didn't have any money when it came out. By the time I got money, other, bigger games had hit. This is my first experience with Wii Punch Out, and I have to say I love it. I'm considering the Doc Louis version more of a demo than a bonus, but as a demo it worked. I'm sold and will probably be hunting down a copy of this in the next month or so. In the meantime, I'll keep on punching Doc while he tells me that "The sweet taste of victory comes from effort, not chocolate."

Anyone else who bought way too much Nintendo stuff and would like to compare notes?

Agh.... The only things I've bought are Bit Trip Beat, World of Goo and the original Punch Out!! So I'm not entitled to a sweet Mario hat. Guess I should get on the stick lest I miss out. :mock:

I really WANT to be Nintendo's bitch, but my Wii sits there getting less attention than it deserves while I play Borderlands and other fine 360 games for precious, precious points.

It's ridiculous. I don't even have that many points. I DO like to buy DS games whenever I can, though.

I got the Punch-Out!! demo too, but I already have the full game, so it isn't doing too much for me. I'm not sure what I was expecting. I don't know what I would have done with a Mario hat, though. The Japanese Club Nintendo prizes are so much cooler.

I did just order the three Zelda posters with some of my coins, but they haven't arrived yet. I'm also pretty tempted by the hanafuda cards, but I don't have enough coins left... maybe after the holidays.

Just got it the other day. Also hearting the S out of it.

I love the dialogue in there.

"You gotta give 110%. I know its only mathematically possible to give 100%, but you gotta work really hard to squeeze out that extra 10..."

Hey, miffy, did you manage to hit his chocolate bar yet? Hilarious!

I was playing it the day I got it and all of a sudden the whole RE5 hullabaloo popped into my head. Nintendo made a racist, black guy beating simulator. Good thing its a limited DL, else there might be an exclusive story on a local news hour.

As far as how I got Platinum Status, every embarrassing detail is below:

Nintendo GameCube				12/18/2003
Wii						12/20/2007
Nintendo DS Lite				6/18/2006
Game Boy Advance SP				7/27/2005
Super Mario Bros.				3/16/2008
Internet Browser				5/20/2008
Everybody Votes Channel				12/20/2007
Super Mario Bros. 2				3/16/2008
Super Metroid					12/22/2007
Sin & Punishment				11/18/2008
Super Mario Bros. 3				3/16/2008
Check Mii Out Channel				12/20/2007
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers 	6/16/2009
LostWinds					5/23/2008
Nintendo Channel				5/27/2008
Photo Channel 1.1				5/27/2008
Mega Man 9					10/9/2008
Kirby's Dream Land 3				6/16/2009
Wii Speak Channel				2/3/2009
Doc Louis's Punch Out!!				10/29/2009
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!			12/18/2003
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes				7/27/2005
Nintendogs - Dachshund				3/7/2007
Animal Crossing: Wild World			6/18/2006
Mario Kart DS					6/18/2006
Metroid Prime Hunters				6/18/2006
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day 	6/18/2006
New Super Mario Bros.				6/18/2006
Star Fox Command				2/20/2007
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess		12/27/2007 
(Gamecube)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess		1/24/2007
(Wii, yes, bought and beat both, twice)
Wii Play					12/20/2007	
Mario Party 8					12/20/2007
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption			6/29/2008
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass		12/25/2007
Super Mario Galaxy				12/27/2007
Super Smash Bros Brawl				4/12/2008
Mario Kart (Wii)				6/23/2008
Animal Crossing: City Folk			12/30/2008
Personal Trainer: Cooking			12/30/2008

So yeah, say what you will. I'm a happy gamer.

Hey, my list is embarrassingly similar. I'm only 40 points away from Platinum status for 2010 too, and could easily hit it by doing my post-completion surveys on some stuff. As for whether or not I hit his chocolate bar, here's the thing: I suck at Punch Out. I can beat the "training" bit, but get my ass kicked on the "sparring." Asking me to do something specific in Punch Out is like asking a one legged-dog to do tricks on a unicycle.

Shammack, I have the Zelda posters. The Twilight Princess one is pretty meh, but the evolution of link and Phantom Hourglass ones are badass. Really glossy and well-made, too. I also got the Game and Watch collection back before it was out of stock, which was the only thing I was every really jealous of the Japanese Club Nintendo for, so I'm happy with what we have offered to us.

I haven't been able to get anything I want from Club Nintendo at all yet (The Game and Watch Collection), being stuck around 300 points forever.

The Game and Watch Collection is sold out anyway now, so it doesn't matter, but luckily I won it off of Ebay for about 30 bucks a few months ago. Their point requirements are still way too high for anything worthwhile in my opinion. I have Tingle's Balloon fight, and I'm eagerly hoping for a proper English release to come to Club Nintendo, but I'm betting even if it did happen the point requirement would be impossibly high and I'd still have better luck on Ebay.

If anything maybe a full English release of Game and Watch Collection 2 will come to the US next (since America hates Tingle) and that I'll have enough

points to get that.

I have considered going to rental stores and stealing pin number sheets out of the cases for games that give points, but eh...

I have considered going to rental stores and stealing pin number sheets out of the cases for games that give points, but eh...

God, when I worked at HMV I was tempted quite a few times to pinch the cards from our display copies of Animal Crossing and the like. My conscience prevailed, as what if someone who also wanted the points bought that one, but the temptation was pretty great. One of the reasons I don't buy copies that aren't sealed. It would have been so easy to do.

And the worst thing is, I know almost 75% of the buyers or renters of the games with the pin card still inside are not going to use them ever!

Haha, but yeah, I'm more afraid of just pissing someone off. It would be weird if I were caught and had to explain exactly what I was doing.

Just got it the other day. Also hearting the S out of it.

I love the dialogue in there.

"You gotta give 110%. I know its only mathematically possible to give 100%, but you gotta work really hard to squeeze out that extra 10..."

I was playing it the day I got it and all of a sudden the whole RE5 hullabaloo popped into my head. Nintendo made a racist, black guy beating simulator. Good thing its a limited DL, else there might be an exclusive story on a local news hour.

As far as how I got Platinum Status, every embarrassing detail is below:

[size="5"][b]Personal Trainer: Cooking[/b][/size]

So yeah, say what you will. I'm a happy gamer.

Word

Hey, whatever. I have both Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus on there. They're surprisingly fun, and the only way my girlfriend was ever going to convince me to give yoga a try.

Word

Ha ha ha ha hah ha. Yeah, actually. I used Personal Trainer Cooking once. Its rough because my wifey is a very finicky eater and there's a lot of weird international stuff on there (that game needs downloads). But we did really enjoy the vegetable lasagna with scratch made bolognese sauce. When we were done eating it, I was like, "I beat a game".

Ha ha ha ha hah ha. Yeah, actually. I used Personal Trainer Cooking once. Its rough because my wifey is a very finicky eater and there's a lot of weird international stuff on there (that game needs downloads). But we did really enjoy the vegetable lasagna with scratch made bolognese sauce. When we were done eating it, I was like, "I beat a game".

"See honey, Video Games! Do you understand their power now?"

Shit, I just completed a bunch of post-play surveys to hit platinum for 2010. I really am a horrible person. Of course, all I did was register everything Nintendo that I've bought since 2006, so those 3 years of purchases really added up, and the 10 points for each virtual console purchase helped too. Still, it's sad how easily I reach that point. I guess I just really love me some Nintendo.

J

Ok, I've now pulled this off, figuring out that it is actually necessary if you're going to beat him. Thanks for the tip, as I would never have actually beaten Doc without knowing that you could do that. It is really awesome.

My only gripe about Doc Louis' Punch Out!! is that I don't really have the money to buy full Punch Out!! right now, and this really makes me want to. Also, why the hell can't you save stats? I get that it's only a 15 minute thing start to finish, if that, but I'd still like to see if I can beat previous times or get through without him hitting me as often or things like that. Having no saves whatsoever is totally weird. Especially since the actual fight doesn't unlock until you beat the warm up and training. Once you get to the real fight the first time, having it become locked again every time you close the game seems bizarre. Oh well.