Sign in to follow this  
amishler

Psychonauts gets a publisher: Majesco

I like jumping puzzles. I don't know what people have against them.

If they aren't well executed, they can be an absolute pain in the ass.

If they aren't well executed, they can be an absolute pain in the ass.

Especially if your death from mistiming a jump takes you back to the start of the level (ie. no 'save anywhere' function).

Hello "Indiana Jones & The Emperor's Tomb", I'm talking about YOU!

I'm thinking more along the lines of Commander Keen where jumping to an invisible platform half the universe over in the dark was all there was to the game... I don't think Tim's level designers would need to put in such un-fun puzzles though.

Then again, we'll see.

:barf::teddy::(

:tup::ratched:

Commander Keen was awesome! That's what made it awesome! You suck!

What really ruled about Keen 4-6 was the world map though. I think it's actually the reason I didn't get into 1-3 much. The world map really changed the whole thing from a continuous progression, like "welcome to level 85" to "welcome to this new part of the world you're exploring". It was so awesome. Oh, and in Keen 6, on the worldmap, where you had to do something on the worldmap to get onto that space station... that ruled. And in Keen 4 with the whole pyramid area opening up. I really wanted to get to that place and when I finally found out how, I was overjoyed.

What if Tom Hall never left id Software, I wonder? What would Doom have looked like?

What if Tom Hall never left id Software, I wonder? What would Doom have looked like?

Something like this?

doom3.jpg

Heh, he's got a list in there of all the graphics that will be needed for the game, and each one is ranked either Vital, Desired, or Non-Vital. "Vital graphics must be completed for the game to be completed", he says.

Apparently the "nudie calendar on wall" is a Vital graphic.

Also:

"Non-Orthogonal Walls

Wolfenstein's walls were always at ninety degrees to each other, and were always eight feet thick. DOOM's walls can be at any angle, and be of any thickness. Walls can have see-through areas, change shape, and animate. This allows more natural construction of levels. If you can draw it on paper, you can see it in the game."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/06/news_6104297.html

Q&A with Tim Schafer

One of the good things about the state of the games industry right now is that it's incredibly easy to be original. I mean, if you released a game these days that didn't have any army guys in it, people would freak out. "Where did they get the idea to not use army guys? Are they taking drugs?" I think game makers underestimate the public when they assume they want to play the same game over and over. But it gives us a really good opportunity to stand out to the audience.

I'm freaking out, man.

*points to the Idle Thumbs front page news* :shifty:

You're going to have to be more accurate with your pointing as I do not see the Q&A there at all.

You're going to have to be more accurate with your pointing as I do not see the Q&A there at all.

He can't help it. He's crossed-eyed. :shifty:

--Erwin

What, you guys didn't win an XBOX like I did? ;)

I will buy pyschonauts on XBOX. The xbox controller is wonderful, and I'm sure it will play very well with it. (I'm counting that one Psychonauts tester, Chris Remo, to make sure that this is so!)

Computers are for bitching on the internet about not having a video game console and not for playing games, anyway. :P

I'm counting that one Psychonauts tester, Chris Remo, to make sure that this is so!

Oh yeah, I forgot about Chris Remo testing it. I guess the NDA is probably very strict....but give me a sign Remo! Give me a sign!

:tup:?

:tmeh:?

:tdown: ?

On an unrelated note Chris Remo is the kind of name you're kind of compelled to usually say both parts of. Like Thomas Edison or Che Guevara. :partyhat:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Chris Remo testing it. I guess the NDA is probably very strict....but give me a sign Remo! Give me a sign!

:tup:?

:tmeh:?

:tdown: ?

On an unrelated note Chris Remo is the kind of name you're kind of compelled to usually say both parts of. Like Thomas Edison or Che Guevara. :partyhat:

I'll give you a sign: :nodance:

No dancing!

BigJKO is right. It was there, but the post was deleted possibly the same day it was posted. :shifty:
I posted the news but whoever deleted it deemed it un-thumblike to post links to Gamespot. Or something. Just for the record, I thought the newspost still adhered to the however loose guidelines of newsly relevance I invented for myself -- guidelines that among other things disqualified lame Q&A sessions as unnewsworthy.

Although I wasn't the perpetrator of that brutal act, the link-and-quote style of newsing is a bit lame. If we are to link to Q&A's, we should probably paraphrase what's going on.

:gershman:

Although I wasn't the perpetrator of that brutal act, the link-and-quote style of newsing is a bit lame. If we are to link to Q&A's, we should probably paraphrase what's going on.

:gershman:

That my dear sir is heresy as one cannot paraphrase the divine.

There's also some interesting new news in the press release too. For example, three years ago they were saying that there werre going to be 16 different minds, and now they are saying 10 plus 3 real world locations. Let's see, real world wise we've got Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp and the Asylum. That leaves one unknown real world location. Anyone, besides Chris, got any ideas? Let's see as far as minds go there is Edgar's (black valvet), Lili's, Milla's, Sasha's, Lungfish's, Boyd's (conspricy theory watchman), Fred B.'s (Napolean guy), Dr. Loboto's, and some millitary guy. Hey, that comes out to be nine. So, assuming all of the above are still in, we only don't know about one mind. Again, any thoughts?

Hmm, maybe this one?

Near the bottom:

One of my favourites is a maniacal coach. You don't know what his problem is until you jump in his mind and see the dark problem causing him to be so angry is that he lost his cheerleader girlfriend to the football captain. It's a very funny game, and this time will be one I play.

Or is this one of the ones you mentioned?

Alright, I cancelled all of my Sam & Max games August appointments in order to get truckloads of info on Psychonauts, and I've been left out in the cold. What the fucking hell.

Despite the promise of a PC version, I don't think you even can enjoy a platformer on the PC (just like you can't enjoy a FPS on a console - yes, Halo, I'm calling you overrated) - so I have purchased an Xbox in preparation for the forthcoming awesomeness. Small objects are falling into its gravitational well.