Sign in to follow this  
amishler

Psychonauts gets a publisher: Majesco

dfshirt.jpg

:naughty:

:clap:

Holy christmas. Someone needs to make those and sell them to me at a considerable loss.

I'm really a novice at PC controllers, but am not sure if an Xbox controller will be essential.

While there's nothing wrong with wanting to have the Xbox controller and an adapter (which sounds especially handy if you already have an Xbox and want to save money on a PC controller), I doubt that having the system's controller is going to add much besides a rumble to the equation. Let me know if any of these observations are incorrect:

1. From what I can see from pictures of Xbox controllers and my Logitech Dual Action ($15-20, I think—just a cheap one I found) controller, Lt and other companies have USB controllers with very similar layouts, although there might be some specialty buttons I don't know about (it looks like there's something on the left next to the two directional pads, which are swapped around on the one I have so that the analogue is on top).

2. If you've never played the game you're playing on the Xbox, you won't have a natural inclination toward that controller's feel. Since the button layout is very similar, you should be able to confortably play with button assignments in the same relative as the designers intended. I feel like I could comfortably play Gamecube games with that other controller, and it's much closer to the Xbox.

3. If you like the rumble, I guess you gotta go with Xbox. Will rumble work on PC games? Do any PC controllers have vibrators?

Of course, I don't know how much the adapters or the Xbox controllers run for, and it might be worth it. I'm going to wait to see what the game's button layout is like.

Well, I can't speak for everyone but the reason I use an Xbox controller is that I own an Xbox and two controllers already, so there's no need to buy yet a third controller.

Yes, but the nice thing about owning things is that you can still own other things. So if you buy an Xbox you can still keep your PC.

HA HA HA ha ha.

I took a whole bunch of Xboxs out of their boxes today so I could display the dummy boxes at work. Man, they are huge. There's nothing elegant about them at all.

On the other hand, I'll be buying one for sure. Whether or not I play Psychonauts on it, there is still the issue of Xbox live. And Halo 2. And my ten percent staff discount.

Yes. We sell Xbox Games in the restaurant. Right beside the PS2 games and opposite the joysticks. Quite close to the salad bar, but not so close that it blocks the coffee machine and the laptop display.

There is also that issue of having a lot of freedom on the PC (having free reign to pirate what I feel like and run what tickles my fancy),

I don't know if this is what you're getting at, but pirating with an Xbox is easy-peasy. A modded one (preferably with a larger hard drive) is a wonderful console, cause all you've got to do is slap all those games - Xbox games and all those emulators for all those older consoles - on to the HD and then you've got a shitload of consoles in one, every game easily accessed through a menu (or dashboard, or whatever it's called) so you don't even have to switch CD's/DVD's. If you're into piracy. :shifty:

...And the Xbox games seem to be more expensive and harder to patch considering that I don't plan on having that Xbox-live crap.

I thought one of the good things about console games is the fact that you don't have to patch them..? :erm:

Man, now I have no valid excuse for buying an Xbox. Curse you Majesto, curse you.

Man, now I have no valid excuse for buying an Xbox.

What about the fact that it is awesome? I loves mah Xbox (even though, since it's an older one, it can be a real bitch sometimes.)

I don't know if this is what you're getting at, but pirating with an Xbox is easy-peasy. A modded one (preferably with a larger hard drive) is a wonderful console, cause all you've got to do is slap all those games - Xbox games and all those emulators for all those older consoles - on to the HD and then you've got a shitload of consoles in one, every game easily accessed through a menu (or dashboard, or whatever it's called) so you don't even have to switch CD's/DVD's. If you're into piracy. :shifty:

I thought one of the good things about console games is the fact that you don't have to patch them..? :erm:

I am perfectly certain I could do it, but I am not nearly as good with electronics as is my father, for example (who programmed pong of his own by welding transistors to a circuit board all those years ago) and I don't want to let him botch a few xboxes before he gets the hang of it, you know... If there were a place where you could buy a quality cracked xbox that would be aw—

[Kingzjester has been dragged out of his house at 10 pm by people wearing sunglasses and cattle prods; he was never heard from again]

Hey, Xbox is a good thing. Too bad I don't give a damn about any current games for it. :hmph: I'm waiting for some 'grown up' titles, man. I'm sick of sports and twitch arcade crap.

KOTOR and BG&E (although neither is really exclusive). But coming up soon is Jade Empire, which will be awesome :)

Also, Fable looks pretty cool.

Kingzjester? Your cow dies, I laugh!

Despite that I live in the Lost City of Atlantis, which is supposedly technologically advanced, I have no Broadband available where I live (within the lost city). On the other hand, my brother has the whole Xbox live setup and it's awesome. From what you said, I just gathered that you didn't like it and well, maybe you haven't given it enough of a try.

KOTOR and BG&E (although neither is really exclusive). But coming up soon is Jade Empire, which will be awesome :)

Also, Fable looks pretty cool.

I'm not much into RPGs. How complicated is KOTOR? And is it any better on PC? I've experienced BG&E on PC. I'm not interested in Jade Empire, but I'm glad something that complex is coming to console.

And yes, I AM looking forward to Fable. It looks to be something good for me on Xbox.

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'complicated.' Do you mean the story, the controls, etc.?

Wellll....complicated. Is KOTOR typically RPG in that you have to keep track of stupid numbers and stats and you have to slash everything with a light saber just to level up? That's what I mean.

With Fable, however, all those annoyances are eschewed and you instead get visual cues of how you're progressing.

Wellll....complicated. Is KOTOR typically RPG in that you have to keep track of stupid numbers and stats and you have to slash everything with a light saber just to level up? That's what I mean.

As far as I'm concerned, I just slash away. The level ups usually catch me by surprise. I'm not really much an RPG person myself, but I loved KOTOR. I have full intentions of buying Jade Empire.

There are numbers, but I found that it didn't really matter all that much. I didn't have to spend hours wandering around leveling up in order to progress in the game. You can, but you don't have to. I found you could gain almost as many XP by doing quests and stuff, which are infinitely more fun (i.e. figure out how to fake the death of the guy with a mob contract on his life, etc.). And unlike a lot of the RPGs I've played, I actually sort of cared about the characters and the story. I mean, I played NWN, and I just couldn't care less if anyone I ran across died, but the KOTOR characters are pretty well developed. If you don't love HK-47 by the end of the game, you're some kind of weirdo who doesn't belong in polite society :)

Good. I've always thought that whole 'kill-as-many-crypt-rats-as-possible-to-levl-up' thing utterly stupid and a waste of time.
Oh, wait, I'm sorry! In the Star Wars universe, Crypt Rats prefer to be called the Refertians. Get yo' shit straight.