Sign in to follow this  
amishler

Psychonauts gets a publisher: Majesco

< Trep uses his own psychic powers and turns Kingz into a walking toilet. Jake and Chris suddenly have the urge to do #2 and... >

No, Trep, no. That is just gratuitous. You make baby Jesus cry.

The reson Halo worked with two sticks is all the aiming help it gave you. So, with a little work from the developer, two sticks and mouse and keyboard can work just as well.

full20040805094441.jpg

Inside the brain of a person who has plaied too many turn based games. Cool.

I've played a fair few Xbox games now (Indy, GTA, Splinter Cell, Halo, KOTOR) and I like the controller. It's never taken me much effort to get used to it in its various different configurations. Psychonauts seeming so console-y, I'm hoping it will support a gamepad on the PC, and that I can get one thats a bit like the Xbox pad. I was raised on a Sega Megadrive (Genesis) as well as a PC too, so gamepads are in my blood. Not sure what types there are out there for the PC though.

I've played a fair few Xbox games now (Indy, GTA, Splinter Cell, Halo, KOTOR) and I like the controller. It's never taken me much effort to get used to it in its various different configurations. Psychonauts seeming so console-y, I'm hoping it will support a gamepad on the PC, and that I can get one thats a bit like the Xbox pad. I was raised on a Sega Megadrive (Genesis) as well as a PC too, so gamepads are in my blood. Not sure what types there are out there for the PC though.

For the rare occasions I need to use a joystick on my PC (the x-wing games, the odd WW2 combat flight sim), I use this puppy, the Analog 3.

pc_dual_analogv3.gif

http://europe.thrustmaster.com/products/dsp_fam.php?fam=5

12 programmable buttons, 8-way D-pad, dual analogue sticks.

It's all good. You can get vibrating ones too (I think) & wireless, but they were outside my budget. Logitech & microsoft make decent PC gamepad alteratives, but for value for money I don't think you can beat the thrustmaster.

You might also look into getting a USB --> console adapter and buying a used/pre-owned PS2 or XBox controller from your local Gamestop/EB/Whatever. Might cost more but you'll probably get a more durable controller, and the button layout will be more Psychonauts friendly :)

full20040805094324.jpg

Those aren't the final textures on him are they? That star looks a bit suspect sort of like his face in those screens that were leaked a while back.

Also, what's up with that screen that Bc9b posted? It looks like it's in the real world as seen here, but it's got those funky floating things that look like they're from the inside of Edgar's mind, as seen here. Weird.

The pic posted by Bc9b is definitely in someone's mind.

i'll definitely buy psychonauts for pc, because of better graphics and my averseness to xbox controllers (force myself for getting used to this controlling***** in kotor was enough ;) ), but what really amazes me is that no german webpage of a games magazine wrote about the potential hit psychonauts but about doom3!doom3!doom3! instead. at least i made europes (?) monthly best selling magazine gamestar write a news entry about it. psychonauts deserves more attention!

You might also look into getting a USB --> console adapter and buying a used/pre-owned PS2 or XBox controller from your local Gamestop/EB/Whatever. Might cost more but you'll probably get a more durable controller, and the button layout will be more Psychonauts friendly :)

The advantage of a dedicated PC controller is all the extra buttons (for flight sims) and the ability to program them to replicate mouse buttons, keyboard buttons etc. But agreed, if Psychonauts is the only game you're wanting to use a gamepad for an actual xbox controller on your PC would be ideal.

Also, what's up with that screen that Bc9b posted? It looks like it's in the real world as seen here, but it's got those funky floating things that look like they're from the inside of Edgar's mind, as seen here. Weird.
You're awfully confused for someone who not long ago mentioned nine out of ten possible mind levels.

jp-30 / Jake : Thanks very much for the suggestions, not sure which one I'll go with yet. Probably the USB link-up actually because my brother's Xbox has two controllers, one of which isn't usually in use, so I might be able to nick that to play Psychonauts with. How does that work, do you get drivers to let you customise what buttons/pads do different things?

I'm still totally stoked about this PC port, the excitement hasn't faded away into the frustrated waiting for the release just yet. :)

I used Doug's XBox controller + adapter to play the PC version of Broken SSword 3... it worked really well.

Oh, the gamepads are also good for using with MAME. :)

If only I could find an arcade game ROM that can hold my attention for more than 3 minutes. :( Maybe Arkanoid - but that'd be one for the mouse, I guess.

You're awfully confused for someone who not long ago mentioned nine out of ten possible mind levels.

Yes, I'm as confused as hell. I probably should stop posting this crap, but I keep hoping that someone will be kind of enough to straighten me out.

I know we've been over those screens of that really tall Napoleon-like guy before. I think someone told me that they thought that that guy was the guy who thinks he is Napoleon. That being why he's all decked out in old military stuff, and extremely tall (the opposite of Napoleon of course). So, that all makes sense. He's in the real world, in the asylum, thinks he's Napoleon even though he's really tall, and he's play some war game with the peices. I mean, that makes good sense, right? But apparently that's not the case as now we're got weird floating stuff that looks strangely similar to some of the stuff that may or may not be from the black valvet guy. So, yes, I'm thoroughly confused, and tempted to just trash all of the galleries I've set up until I actually know what's what.

Moosferatu, you've now confused me! But as far as I know from the previews I've read, the guy in the game thinks he's Napoleon's brother, not Napoleon himself.

Moosferatu, you've now confused me! But as far as I know from the previews I've read, the guy in the game thinks he's Napoleon's brother, not Napoleon himself.

Yes! Must spread the confusion!

:deranged::dopefish::crazy:

I bought my adapter here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41015&item=8122929601&rd=1

The "Super Joy Box 9" is what I have, and it works pretty well. Gotta love import electronics' names ;)

How exactly does it work? There is a mention that it comes with software. Is it easy to configure the control schemes one I have the Xbox controller hooke up? Would I be able to use it on other PC game not ported from Xbox (like GTAIII, for example)?

How exactly does it work? There is a mention that it comes with software. Is it easy to configure the control schemes one I have the Xbox controller hooke up? Would I be able to use it on other PC game not ported from Xbox (like GTAIII, for example)?

Well, the Xbox controllers actually are USB devices, so all it really does is adapt the plug. The "software" it includes is just a set of Windows drivers for the controller. After that, it's just set up as a regular Windows gamepad device, so you can use it on any game that supports a gamepad. Recently, I was using it to play Grim Fandango.