Sign in to follow this  
amishler

Psychonauts gets a publisher: Majesco

According to this GameSpot article (and this Tim Fandango article :naughty:), Majesco is the new publisher of Psychonauts. Apparently there was a new trailer shown at G-phoria (the G4/Tech TV gaming award show), and it featured the Majesco logo at the end. This in addition to tips from "well-placed industry sources," which we all know is code for Info Cow. Or Chris. :shifty:

Discuss amongst yourselves. My two cents: :woohoo: I don't know much about Majesco (they apparently publish the GBA Video series, as well as a range of not-quite-blockbuster games like Bloodrayne and Bomberman), but at this point, the fact that it's being published is good enough for me.

Pretty wierd that they'd jump on it, maybe they are looking for a game to give them some credibility. In the mean time, I'd like to see the new trailer...

Well, the little Bomberman people look sortof like Raz... in as much that they have the same body proportions.

Does this mean that no one else wanted the project or what? I am kinda stupified by it all.

:erm::shroom:

It doesn't really matter at this point. Considering the game was in danger of not being released, this is a good alternative. Not every game can be published by EA or Activision, nor should they be.

If they get it into shops in the UK, I'll be happy. Does anyone know a specific reason why Microsoft ditched Psychonauts? I was reading a Tim interview from a while ago and it seemed that then, things were going great - full creative freedom for Double Fine, Microsoft happy to have them on board etc.

Looking at the Majesco site, they did publish Solider Of Fortune for the PS2 which was probably quite a major release.

If you think about it, Majesco really isn't a bad choice for a publisher. It's not a very prestiguous publisher but it may be what's needed. Although seeing a risky game like Psychonauts getting published by UbiSoft (or better yet EA) would sure be a turn-on, a game like Psychonauts could also have easily gotten lost in the shuffle there. Majesco strikes me as an up and coming publisher that will really put an effort behind marketing the game.

Psychonauts isn't that out of place amongst Advent Rising anyway, which is sort of stylish and character-based.

I don't know what went into this deal. Maybe Majesco gave the best offer. I just know that Majesco after Microsoft sounds anticlimactic.

I think Majesco is aiming to diversify a little bit. They are apparently well funded by the owners which are an independently wealthy family (?), and then on top of that they very deliberately make a million budget games that apparently fly off the shelves at Wal-Mart, giving them the capital to fund big budget titles like BloodRayne. They're currently working on BloodRayne 2 as well as a decently interesting looking game called Advent Rising... And they make those GBA video cart games.

They're clearly no Microsoft but that might not be a bad thing. The way I see it is... Microsoft: not willing to fund Psychonauts. Majesco: willing to fund Psychoonauts.

I think Majesco is aiming to diversify a little bit. They are apparently well funded by the owners which are an independently wealthy family (?), and then on top of that they very deliberately make a million budget games that apparently fly off the shelves at Wal-Mart, giving them the capital to fund big budget titles like BloodRayne. They're currently working on BloodRayne 2 as well as a decently interesting looking game called Advent Rising... And they make those GBA video cart games.

They're clearly no Microsoft but that might not be a bad thing. The way I see it is... Microsoft: not willing to fund Psychonauts. Majesco: willing to fund Psychoonauts.

By the way, on the subject ofAdvent Rising, reps from Majesco I talked to at E3 said that if it does well, they may make other Orson Scott Card-based games, possibly an Ender's Game title.

Does anyone know a specific reason why Microsoft ditched Psychonauts?

i think that there's an connection between the drop of double fine and the leaving of ed fries.

something like that may happened:

bill gates: oh! ugly ed is missing. finally! hahahaha! we need to cut down on money because we only have 93457889572597267 billions of dollars! and i want to fill all bath tubes in my living room with money! any idea, walt?

walt disney: hmmm...double fine. we're pumping money into them, but all they do is writting insane news posts and postbone this game called psychonauts! we should get rid of double fine!

bill gates: but psychonauts is awesome!

walt disney: look, bill, i made my first movie in a garage. and i didn't need 4 years for it. and it became a huge success. i know what i'm talking about, because i'm undead.

bill gates: but ed said...

walt disney: ed, ed, ed? where's your ed now? hmmm? where's ed when you need him? did ed invent mickey mouse? hmmm? come on! trust me! i'm good!

bill gates: but e...

walt disney: forget about ed. again: what did ed do for you? hmmmm? did he gave you this rare original painting of mickey mouse when he was a little child and tried to put knitting needles into sockets for becoming black? hmmmm?

bill gates: but tim...

walt disney: tim? tim is evil. he's a thief and they tried to kill mickey mouse!

bill gates: really?

walt disney: yeah! they renamed poor mickey to dylan and made fun of him!

bill gates: you're lying! ed warned me about you!

walt disney: but do you remember this df news sidebar of 2002? this mouse was mickey!

bill gates: no. you must be lying. this can't be true. tim is not evil. tim is awesome. tim made grim fandango!

walt disney: hahaha! do you really think that your tim made grim fandango??? i'd have to dissapoint you because i made grim fandango. in my garage. years ago. i wanted to release it right after finishing the cartoon where mickey mouse commits suicide but tim stole it before.

bill gates: i can't believe what you say!

walt disney: don't you see the signs? if you replace some letters in tim's name you'll see what i mean. replace the "t" with "d" like donald duck. then replace the "i" with an "e" like evil. and the "m" with "v" like voodoo doll. and the "s" with "i" like the "i" that has been replaced with an "e" like evil. and the "c" with an "l" like looping. and delete all the other characters. and what will you get???? hmmm??? devil!!!

bill gates: oh my god! i didn't know that! you're right! we should sell psychonauts!

of course walt disney isn't walt disney here. he's a worker for sierra in disguise. conspiracy!

okay. i doubt that you got the hidden message in this post.

Good hypothetical 'evil masterminds' conversation, Ryam. Having looked into it a bit more, I'd say your idea about Ed Fries is about right. I also think they saw Action Comics and panicked. "These guys are just drawing comics all day!"

Good hypothetical 'evil masterminds' conversation, Ryam. Having looked into it a bit more, I'd say your idea about Ed Fries is about right. I also think they saw Action Comics and panicked. "These guys are just drawing comics all day!"

nice interpretation. but unfortunately you missed the point. the hidden message is here. in the garage.

*faints*

*recovers*

That...

*faints*

That has to be the best thing I've read in ages. Man, Tim makes them sound like a rocking publisher too. I am so excited! Ah!

:woohoo::woohoo::clap::clap::woohoo::woohoo:

There's also some interesting new news in the press release too. For example, three years ago they were saying that there werre going to be 16 different minds, and now they are saying 10 plus 3 real world locations. Let's see, real world wise we've got Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp and the Asylum. That leaves one unknown real world location. Anyone, besides Chris, got any ideas? Let's see as far as minds go there is Edgar's (black valvet), Lili's, Milla's, Sasha's, Lungfish's, Boyd's (conspricy theory watchman), Fred B.'s (Napolean guy), Dr. Loboto's, and some millitary guy. Hey, that comes out to be nine. So, assuming all of the above are still in, we only don't know about one mind. Again, any thoughts?

Yes!!! :grin: Best news ever. Now I'm definitely going to upgrade my PC soon. Thanks for the news tabacco, it's made my day.

"...what could conservatively be called the greatest game of all time ever" - Tim Schafer.

Please stick that quote on the box art, Double Fine.

PC!!

"Oh golly, oh gosh! Hjyuck, hjyuck! That's right!" - Dinghy-Dog

I don't think I got that right. But the THOUGHT is the most important thing.

Yeah, it'll probably play better on xbox too. At any rate, I'll probably end up with both versions, the strategy guide, and what ever else they see fit to produce with Psychonauts/Double Fine/Schafer on it. You know, I asked Tim about t-shirts once. He said he'd love to make some, but they weren't currently at the top of his to-do list. So, with any luck, we'll get some awesome Double Fine t-shirts one of these days.