Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Creepy statues in games

I'm writing an essay and I require some info. I think statues are pretty creepy. Statues of dead people over tombs and gravestones for instance, with their staring lifeless eyes and creepy frozen smiles. That kind of shit. Anyway basically I know I've played a million games with creepy fucking statues in them but I can't think of a single one. I'm sure there was a resident evil game with loads of creepy statues somewhere. Maybe 7th Guest had some. I can't remember, I just remember their frozen, cold, marble faces. Can anyone help me here?

Also I swore loads in this post so you'll think I'm cool and the "alpha female" and therefore you're more likely to try and help me out because you want to impress the alpha female, right? Because then I'll like you more and your life will be easier with me, and god, on your side.

Also I swore loads in this post so you'll think I'm cool and the "alpha female" and therefore you're more likely to try and help me out because you want to impress the alpha female, right? Because then I'll like you more and your life will be easier with me, and god, on your side.

I had to re-read your post three times to find the swear words.

Can't think of many games... Baldur's Gate (don't know which one)? Oblivion had some, I thought Nocturne had some too, but can't see any on screens.

Also, if Gragoyles count you could look at this list: http://www.giantbomb.com/gargoyles/92-2139/

[edit]also, this is a list of statue mimics: http://www.giantbomb.com/statue-mimic/92-3519/

I'm writing an essay and I require some info. I think statues are pretty creepy. Statues of dead people over tombs and gravestones for instance, with their staring lifeless eyes and creepy frozen smiles. That kind of shit. Anyway basically I know I've played a million games with creepy fucking statues in them but I can't think of a single one. I'm sure there was a resident evil game with loads of creepy statues somewhere. Maybe 7th Guest had some. I can't remember, I just remember their frozen, cold, marble faces. Can anyone help me here?

Jeez, they seem like such a staple, but I can't think of one. Ok, I lie: Gears of War? Oblivion? Brutal Legend? As someone who doesn't find statues creepy (especially in games) it's hard to think of precise instances :-/

There, I tried. Now please don't kill me and eat me, alpha female.

There was a statue in Eternal Darkness whose head would follow you as you walked by if your sanity level was low. It was kinda creepy the first time I saw it.

If you're American I guess you could make up some crap about how it was shocking to see a decapitated staute of Abraham Lincoln in Fallout 3.

I don't know, I guess I didn't really have much to contribute on this.

Oh, and Deus Ex of course, has one of the statuest statues of them all.

2717636455_c59e15f0aa.jpg
Yeah, I was going to mention Blink also.
If you're American I guess you could make up some crap about how it was shocking to see a decapitated staute of Abraham Lincoln in Fallout 3.
Also Sam & Max: Abe Lincoln Must Die.

And Bioshock with Sander Cohen's plastered human victim statues

that eventually come to life and start attacking you

Oblivion has a few cool statues,

(One of which turns out to be important to a long sidequest, in an awesome unexpected reveal. In fact that might have been my favourite moment in the game.)

I'm talking about the "Lucky Old Lady" which stands in the middle of... bravil is it? You get told about how no-one knows who she was but she's lucky, and then you spend the rest of the game walking past her and treating her as another part of the scenery.

Then at the end of the Dark Brotherhood assassins storyline you find out she is the Dark Mother, demon goddess of assassins - and then the statue comes alive and moves aside, revealing the ultra secret crypt and treasure horde of the master assassins.

Other games with scary statues: anything by Blizzard (Diablo, WoW etc)

I think the Max Payne games, maybe. Resident Evil? Anything that includes old-world style mansions, or pretty much any fantasy RPG.

Okami might have some nice ones.

Why reference games though? Surely real-world statues will be much richer?

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy these yufster comments.

Can't think of any gargoyles I'm afraid.

Otherwise, I am unfortunately also stumped. Did you check out the statue page at giantbomb?

Heh, I was also looking for that but couldn't find it. Apparently there's a difference between "concept" and "video game thing"...

mw-phanto-283x300.gif

This floating guy from Super Mario Bros. 2 used to always creep me out, but it's a mask, not a statue.

IT COULD BE CERAMIC OR STONE MADE THOUGH.

Those statues were great! I hated them!

In a similar vein, Keen 4 had rocks that threw themselves at the back of your head whenever your back was turned to them. Not statues, but also made of rock, and quite sinister.