Jake

Idle Thumbs 48: In Space

Crap. Just when I found out about this and you guys are ending it. +1 for a link to Space Asshole. That's awesome, reminds me a bit of a Star One (Ayroen) song - The Intergalactic Laxative.

Haha I'd just loaded up that cast so I could listen to Space Asshole again.. Glad its on YouTube now.

I feel like I'm flipping through photo albums of exes.... going through pounds of chocolate. Dont leave Nick! Dont stop making podcasts Jake and Chris!

I need to move on, I have to let you be happy /sob.

But in all seriousness Nick thats pretty sweet, you're going to be a really good community manager I think. So kudos, and welcome to the Eastern Standard Timezone :D

Oh man, I just had that instance of a game making me replay a long section. Started Severance: Blade of Darkness and had to restart the first level after getting beaten by what I guess was the final boss of the level. Bloody likely I'm not going to play that again, especially as I'm not sure how to beat said boss. It seems the game doesn't have mid-level saves.

[edit] damn, a walkthrough did mention manual saving. I just didn't find the save function

Edited by Erkki

So kudos, and welcome to the Eastern Standard Timezone :D

Apparently Nick is traveling through time as well, because it's still Daylight Savings time. :mock:

I haven't expressed my sadness on the boards yet because I was planning to call and leave another wizard voicemail, but I got too lazy so lemme just say ditto what everyone else said. I'll miss the cast, and remember it fondly.

Yeah. Bethesda is in Rockville, Maryland.

Holy Shit! Nick Breckon is in my neck of the woods (Giggidy Giggidy).

Not to be creepy or anything (and thats still a 3 hour drive or so from here...but he's getting closer to me and soon...well...I'm planning our wedding as we speak). Again...I'm not being creepy at all.

Seriously though...when I was sent for training to Rockville the Best Buy up there was the one where they'd be signing games that were preordered and the guy asked me if I was going to preorder it there to get it signed and meet the Bethesda guys and I was like "no I live in West Virginia its too far" and he thought I meant the pann-handle and was like "oh its only an hour" and I explained that I was in the middle of the state so it was 3-4 hours depending on whether I was in the mood to obey speed limits and other suggestions.

Finished up the Space Asshole video and put it on Idle Videos. At the moment, it's still processing. PROCESSING.

Hopefully there'll be an HD version when Youtube stops being dumb.

Though I was tempted to sign, I could not bring myself to on the grounds that your list of nicknames for the 'casters did not mention the Remo Extremo, which any devoted thumb would surely know and remember fondly.

EDIT: Evidence. :pwned:

I'm really going to miss this one if they end it. No other podcast talks about Farcry 2 and wizardry on a weekly basis. Chris and Jake, please reconsider.

Although the idea of actually forcing them to continue the weekly podcast sounds interesting, and would surely prove for lots of hilarious sounds bites as they would, in the middle of the recording and without warning, jump up and try to escape the room, evading the armed guards we would have to employ to keep them there, I think the appeal of these coercioncasts would quickly fade, and we would all be back at square one, the starting square.

Yeah. Bethesda is in Rockville, Maryland.

As previously pointed out, it's still pretty easy to put together a podcast on different sides of the world... *shrugs*

As previously pointed out, it's still pretty easy to put together a podcast on different sides of the world... *shrugs*

True, but Chris has said that it's not really the format he wants. The VOIP latency and inability to read body language makes it hard to be casual and conversational as all being in the same room.

True, but Chris has said that it's not really the format he wants. The VOIP latency and inability to read body language makes it hard to be casual and conversational as all being in the same room.

Clearly our only hope of bypassing those technical limitations is to invent some sort of teleportation rig. Quick! Someone learn some physics!

I really don't know, I mean I want the podcast to continue, I don't want skype, I want a similar dynamic to that which they already have. Maybe a break with the possiblity of starting up again with another host (who isn't secretly/openly Jake). The idea of reunion tours would be pretty cool too.

But it is completely up to you guys, of course.

Okay, I've got to join in here and say thanks for the podcast. Thanks! It was really entertaining and uplifting to hear you guys talk about video games on a weekly basis, especially during my 8 months of commuting & game industry hell (during which the podcast helped keep me sane and helped me stay passionate about games).

A couple of times you guys also made me laugh until I cried soooo... tears achieved.

I've had time to mull over this horrible occurrence and though my tear ducts have not yet dried, I think finishing is the right thing to do. It'll go down in history a snapshot of gaming circa 2009 - a wonderful, informative and often hilarious one at that. It transcended mere podcasting, becoming a really special, intimate kind of weekly event, and I'm overjoyed to have been there at the time. For once I felt like I was truly a part of an awesome gaming movement-of-sorts having missed out on so much in the past.

Jake said on the podcast that quitting at the top was better than "carrying on with a mutated thing", and though it pains me to say it, on reflection I agree.

I'd happily take a podcast that was called something else with just you two and occasionally Hot Scoops. Hell, I'd listen to any Thumb fart into a mic for an hour each week, so keep us up to date if any of you start casting in some capacity wherever that happens to be.

I can't say I won't miss Chris' overlong, tangential musings on game design, Jake's hilarious nonsense and cheeky quips or Nick's thin veil of sanity, but I've come to accept I'll just have to struggle forth without any of those. Thank you all (including fourth Thumb Steve "Who Is Hot Scoops and We Like Him" Gaynor) so much for bringing such joy into my life over the past year. Best of luck in future endeavors, and I eagerly anticipate more Thumb action in the future.

I eagerly anticipate more Thumb action in the future.

Thumb action? Yikes. This is not the place to talk about sex moves that are illegal in Oregon.

Edit: Also, I agree with you gdf. Without Nick, it really wouldn't even be Idle Thumbs. The podcast, I mean (I hope other stuff will be forthcoming under the Thumbs banner). But it will never really go away. There's still a huge archive of episodes for you to listen to and several Idle Thumbs institutions (Grand Thumb Auto, IGN.com...that seem unlikely to fade any time soon).

I just downloaded Space Asshole, imported it into my iTunes playlist, and sang along at full volume. Not only was my cat wondering what the hell was wrong with me, but I'm pretty sure my parents were very, very confused. Worth it. :yep: