Jake

Idle Thumbs 48: In Space

Well, as you can see by the join dates, a lot of the really active thumbs have been around since long before the podcast began. There were like two years there where the main site did almost nothing, but the forum community has always been strong. At least I can rely on that as something fairly constant on the internet.

Dang. I just started listening a few months ago, went through all the old shows (some of them even twice, they're brilliant), and now it's ending...

Well, congrats to Nick, and to all of you for putting together the best gaming podcast out there. I mean, there are plenty out there that I enjoy, but you guys kinda put them to shame. Now I feel like a tool because this is the news it takes for me to sign up on the forums.

Anyways, thanks for 50 great episodes. If you guys aren't doing an official "best of" show to celebrate the one year/50 episodes/we're done, I would love to be a part of an unofficial one. I don't have the tools or know-how to actually put such a thing together on my own, but I could at least listen to some older shows again and pull out some real "zingers".

Well, as you can see by the join dates, a lot of the really active thumbs have been around since long before the podcast began. There were like two years there where the main site did almost nothing, but the forum community has always been strong. At least I can rely on that as something fairly constant on the internet.

That's somewhat comforting.

It's 2007 all over again! (I'll save the eulogy, appreciation notes and moist goodbyes for the end of the month).

Anyway ...

I don't think that Uncharted 2 aims at being an interactive movie; sure, it builds on the same kind of feeling you get when you're really immersed in an action movie sequence, but it uses pace and tension in a way that only a game could : they way the games distributes ammo, awards special weapons or retain others, the different techniques you can use in most stealth part ... all of that is part of gameplay activities grammar and are deeply dependent on the players action. I don't think God of War or Bioshock, for instance, are very different; they just give the illusion of choices, but when it comes to dramatization (first encounter with Big Daddy, with splicers, dialogs with Cohen) and being sure a message/feeling is conveyed, they resort to even cruder tools than Uncharted's.

Anyway, only in the train level, did I get the feeling that I was playing through a video. And I'll admit that was bad.

IdleThumbs used to be an article site with an occasional review and what not. After it died it became a blog hub thingy featuring blog posts from the staff's individual blogs. After it died again it became a podcast. And now that's going to die too. So what will be next? videoblog? twitterroll? dead end for a lot of domains?

Gutted! Thumbs is far and away my favourite weekly, well, anything TV- or radio-wise. Shit... :\

But best of luck, Nick. :)

I don't think that Uncharted 2 aims at being an interactive movie;

That whole discussion about games pretending to be movies reminds me of an interview with Frederick Raynal: http://www.digitalgamestv.fr/video-18878-digitaltv.html (just after 4:00)

A game is not a film. It's usually a mistake that a lot of people make. I don't say that those who want to make a game resembling a film are necessarily wrong, and that they do a bad thing, but it's not the purpose. If we want to have a film, we make a film. A game is really an amusement.

Yup, I have been very happy since I started participating in the forums a few weeks ago. I'm going to keep enjoying hanging out and talking about video games with thumbs.

Nice work, thumbs.

:tup: :tup: ;( (please note the currently invisible TUPs that should be counterbalancing Mr. Sadley)

Sad Face.

Either way I hope that Nick enjoys his new job at Bethesda, if that community is as bad as it was in 2007 you may have your work cut out though :tmeh:.

Also I reckon it's best to go out when everything is going well opposed to when people get too sick of it (not saying that people would, but it's a possibility.

So I leave you with a thumb salute :tup:.

Aw crud. Congrats to Nick etc., but can't you just make Jake pretend to be Nick? It's not like anyone can tell their voices apart anyways.

Aw crud. Congrats to Nick etc., but can't you just make Jake pretend to be Nick? It's not like anyone can tell their voices apart anyways.

or play samples of nick's borderlands sigh.

What a sadcast!

Fun, though. I'm with Miffy, I hope Jake gets the chance to play some of those games, and comment on them in the next two weeks.

God DAMN it you have to be kidding me! This is my favorite podcast, tied for the top slot with the Giant Bombcast. I've laughed harder at this show than just about other. You guys even put my creepy "the wizard" organ call on the air! How could this happen to me!?

Why does the podcast need to end? You're just losing one of the two guys who I could never really differentiate between anyway!

In any case, you have to do SOME sort of podcast. It's the main way I consume media and get my news!

PS: The "The Wizaaaaard" you played today with the harps/organ accompanyment was totally what I was going for in my call.

Just started up the first episode again after hearing this one and now I'm not sad anymore. Idle Thumbs will just come back for a year as a really awesome video podcast. It will kick ass but end abruptly before it loses its magic, leaving us all longing for more. And then, some time after that, it'll be reborn again, but this time as an episodic game thats probably about games.

I'm going to go cryofreeze myself now, because frankly, the wait for THAT is killing me.

You guys are internet legends in your own internet time, good luck with everything that you do from here out.

Thank you Chris, Jake, and Nick. The 'cast has been so amazing and I've had some great times because of it.

Although, I have a request which might be stupid but here it is anyway:

Remember those times you had to re-record podcasts? Because they just derailed and went totally bonkers? Did you delete all of them? Are there things that are hilarious but just weren't relevant for the episode that you cut?

I think all of those things should be compiled into a special Episode 51 Bonus Podcast so we can all have a massive laugh-fest as a nice sendoff for IdleThumbs. :grin:

Also, Chris, SPACE ASSHOLE is one of the greatest things ever.

That's actually a really great idea. I for one loved the bonus poop-cast, and would really appreciate hearing the rest of the deleted chapters of thumbs. If you still have them, it would be fantastic to hear it. What have you got to lose now that it's ending anyway?