Jake

Idle Thumbs 48: In Space

Minding my own business, mining my own ore

I was listening to the podcast this morning at work and when I heard that line I started laughing my ass off so hard that my co-worker - nice but game ignorant - began asking what was so funny. Just how do you explain "Space Asshole" to forty-something woman who once commented on my reading with, " I don't like things that make me think"?

Bethesda : "Congratulations Nick Breckon, good to have you aboard."

Nick: "Thanks I can't wait to work with the Oblivion and Fallout communities, those games created some of the most interesting and exciting communities, we've talked about that a few times on my podcast, Idle Thumbs."

Bethesda : "Yeah about that." *picks up mini tape recorder and replays thumbs talking about Rogue Warrior*

Nick: "No more Wizard?"

Bethesda : "No more Wizard Nick."

Congratulations Nick, I think that's a very savvy hire on their part.

Edited by SoulChicken

what?

:violin:

This sucks! Oh well, I have enjoyed the forums and will continue to do so...

What needs my Thumbs for it's honored bones

The labor of an age in piled stones?

Or that it's hallowed reliques should be hid

Under a starry pointing pyramid?

Dear son of Memory, great heir of Fame,

What need'st thou such weak witness of thy name?

Thou in our wonder and astonishment

Hast built thy self a livelong monument.

For whilst, to th' shame of slow-endeavoring art,

Thy easy numbers flow, and that each heart

Hath from the leaves of thy unvalued casts

Those Wizardly lines with deep impression basked,

Then thou, our fancy of itself bereaving,

Dost make us marble with too much conceiving,

And so sepulchred in such pomp dost lie

That kings for such a tomb would wish to die.

(With apologies to Milton, Shakespeare, and Space Asshole)

I approve.

I... I don't know if I'll ever feel love again...

WHY GOD? WHY?!

It seems to be a pattern that all the best gaming related podcasts must end in 2009. Or maybe with my PS3 dying right now, and no more good podcasts to listen to is a sign that I should give up this hobby. :getmecoat

No more WIZARD, no more baboos, no more big bird, no more Far Cry 2, no more hot scoops, no more thoughtful discussion and hilarious banter to get me through my mid-week grind.

This feels horrible, and I'll eventually get over it, but Idle Thumbs was too young to abruptly end like this.

Congratulations to Nick on the new job!

I'll miss the podcast a ton, though - Idle Thumbs has set a high standard for podcasts for me, and I almost invariably come away disappointed trying new 'casts. (It's kind of like The Wire of podcasts).

The authenticity, production quality, and insightfulness are unmatched in my experience.

Congratulations to Nick on the new job!

Idle Thumbs has set a high standard for podcasts for me, and I almost invariably come away disappointed trying new 'casts. (It's kind of like The Wire of podcasts).

So true, you have ruined all podcasts with your podcast and now your podcast is gone... Do I have to return to listening to the CSI: Miami of podcasts**?

Now, for the more conspiratorial amongst us, is there any chance this is a hoax? Isn't this sweeps week for podcast ratings?

Do community managers really need to be kept silent while co-producers / UI designers can speak freely (while carefully tiptoeing around discussing their own company)?

But above all, congrats! Bethesda is one of those few companies...

(** would the cagcast be the csi:miami of vg casts? they provoke similar feelings in me)

BTW, is Space Asshole available for download somewhere? I can't get that first part out of my head and just want to listen to it more without scrubbing through the deathcast.

Maybe Nick has to move and can't be there for the podcast, and like Chris said at the end they dobn't really want to try to reformat it without him (which means they just don't want to do it anymore, so fair enough) Also, hot scoopz is probably not available for a fill in maybe? But honestly, he'd be awesome to be a regular.

Okay

Okay

Okay

So

No more podcasts.

I can almost handle that.

But you're still going to do pod blasts, right?

Anyway, congratulations Nick! You manage the hell out of that community!

I have listened to this episode yet, but from the comments I've kind of got the gist: Nick got a groovy job and is moving away?

You know guys, the best podcast in the world ever is recorded by two guy in two different states. It IS possible to continue with a little extra effort (and no travelling).

Could this be an option?

;(;(;(CATASTROPHIC SUCK;(;(;(

Was it those Borderlands forums guys? Did they intimidate you into hiding? DON'T GO!

In all seriousness, you guys are great, and are HARMING THE WORLD BY TAKING THIS AWAY. Have fun making peace with that.

(That wasn't actually all seriousness.)

CONGRATULATIONS to Nick for the new job, and CONGRATULATIONS to all of you for having been awesome. Whether you will continue to be awesome remains to be seen. Know that I will always be judging you, you cold gaze assessing your every action. Actually I won't, because I don't really read much games stuff so if you don't find yourselves some audiovisual content to be in I'll probably do the exact opposite of following what you're up to.

Fuck it, I can't write posts. Thanks for what you did, sorry to miss what you will no longer.

Also, perhaps they can't continue because Nick is moving or something. That sometimes happens. Or maybe he'll be busy. Maybe that's why H. Scoops doesn't join them more often, and couldn't be a permanent replacement. Maybe baboo.

EDIT:

a) Murdoc said a bunch of that last stuff.

B) Whilst long-distance podcasts can be good, they're never as good, and I think a lot of what I personally enjoy about Idle Thumbs seems like it would depend on the immediacy of being in the same room. I sound like I'm trying to discourage continued Thumbsing, which is ridiculous, but I do understand that sometimes things change, and sometimes that causes other things to change, or to end. I must be some sort of superhuman genius to work that one out.

At first I was like "best cast ever because of my readermail", but then I was like "worst cast ever because of bad news".

Congrats Nick! Only wish you the best. And really congrats to all of you, even though your run was far too short this is by far my favorite podcast and definitely one of the best out there, and really something I looked forward to every week. So thanks to all you guys.

Serious response:

Congratulations Nick on the new job. The 'cast made my week, and made Wednesday worth slogging through, and will be much harder without hearing the three (occasionally 4/British) of you talk pc gaming/gaming as intelligently and humourously as you did. You single-handedly rekindled my interest in adventure gaming (ie Nick's Last Express discussion)

Better to go out on top, and Idle Thumbs certainly is the best podcast out there. The wizard will be missed.

Selfish Knee-jerk response:

FUCK! Are you kidding me? I hope you feel my anguish and pain Nick. Take that with you to Bethesda and let it slowly eat away at you. I feel like your free podcast that I don't pay for and that you do for the fun of it owes me, someone you don't know, something more!!! Argh

...and scene.

Questions:

Is the entirety of Idle Thumbs is dead? I mean the site/blog doesn't necessarily have to die just because the podcast dies. The blog just went after all.

Is there no way to transport Hot Scoops or..... Marek 'Space Goose' Bronstring (it's got to stay within the IT family) each week to Chris' apartment? This presupposes Nick is moving.

If we go back and listen to the last few episodes, is there a hidden narrative we will uncover that points to this happening?

Was it because I listened to an IGN podcast this week? If so, I'm sorry. It really did suck and it really will never happen again.

Seriously, though, Nintendo Voice Chat, fucking terrible. Matt Cassimassina comes through loud and clear and his two co-hosts sound like they're on a couple of cell phones in a cardboard box in the corner. Every time one of those two would start to say something interesting I'd be tweaking the volume to hear them and then all of a sudden Matt C. comes blaring over them with some useless nonsense . JV bullshit. Why couldn't they throw in the towel?

Oh, well. If this is the end of the Idle Thumbs, at least you guys are going out while your still good instead of fizzling out.

Are you guys gonna do a Best of Podcast?

Edited by Chuckpebble
Added some emphasis

Could Steve be a permanent 3rd chair after Bioshock 2 is done? Please don't kill the podcast... it's gonna be GFW Radio all over again for me.

Idle Thumbs is like Hollywood movies, it needs a reboot every few years.

Well shit. Congratulations Nick, in all seriousness. As long as the forums stick around (no reason to stop them now, I guess) I should be able to cope, but goddamn not having this podcast every week is going to suck. First thing I do every Wednesday morning is go on itunes and click on refresh until something awesome happens. The weeks where it didn't this past year were really dull slogs. Now weeks will return to tedium. Even periods where I've been far too busy to game, I still feel in touch with the community, almost more like a gamer, through the forums and the 'cast.

Does kinda sting that the news comes after the promise of Jake talking about all the games he's been playing in 4 or 5 weeks. There only being two more means we may never actually hear about Jake playing/liking a game. Best of luck to all of you, and I hope you can come up with some way to reinvent the thumb once more. It always seems to come back more awesome than before in each incarnation.

PS: Chris, does this mean you'll be doing more episodes of Played? I really dug that 'cast, but it hasn't updated since goddamn March. Or is doing 50 episodes of a podcast and then quitting just a thing with you?

I think only one thing has a good chance of averting this terrible calamity.

We need to start...

AN INTERNET PETITION

Joking, obviously.

I only started coming to the forum recently after listening to podcasts for a lot longer. I'm sticking around the forums, but it's very, very sad the podcast is ceasing to be.

I hope the thumbs all stick around for the next awesome idlethumbs thing.